Wichita State vs. Missouri Game Thread 12-6-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
    Maybe it's splitting hairs, but the online Eagle report said "Shockers OVERWHELMED by Missouri".....I watched the game and while Mizzou was clearly better, I felt OVERWHELMED was off the mark....thoughts?
    I think the only people overwhelmed were those on the bench in slacks.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
      Maybe it's splitting hairs, but the online Eagle report said "Shockers OVERWHELMED by Missouri".....I watched the game and while Mizzou was clearly better, I felt OVERWHELMED was off the mark....thoughts?
      I think overwhelmed accurately describes the beginning of each half. The rest of the game not so much.

Hopefully outmanned is the correct word.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizzou Man View Post
        I don't know how many points having 10,000+ at the Roundhouse is worth, but I am glad that we were able to get out with the W regardless. Everything in the world was going against WSU in this one: no fans, no Gregg Marshall, and a very limited roster due to COVID and yet the Shockers were still competitive. It felt like Mizzou was in control from pretty much the under 16 timeout in the second half onward, but we couldn't really completely put it away until the final couple minutes.

I think the Shockers will look different when they get some guys back and get more used to playing for coach Brown. I will be rooting for WSU against Oklahoma State and the rest of the way in the AAC.
        I’m looking forward to the trip to Columbia next year to see the rematch. I wonder how many of your seniors will return for the extra year of eligibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Man there’s a lot of speculation flying around here. We’re 2 games in with half a team. Marshall would be 1-1 right now. Let’s just enjoy the season without expectations for a change. We have a lot of talent on this team. As for the post issues, I’ll point out that our current personnel is a function of Gregg Marshall recruiting and signings, not Isaac Brown. We have 4-5 guys that haven’t seen the court in a while, let’s just pump the brakes and cheer these guys on.
          I cheered the whole game as I have every game since 1964 when I became old enough to know what I was watching or listening to. Or like in the 90s when I watched every miserable game from my seats. The final score and the L have nothing to do with what I’m bitching about. It’s the 39 minutes of 4 guys standing still and one guy dribbling that I have a problem with and no offense but I don’t expect or want that to last more than this Covid season. Now I know IB has been around long enough to have a cure for standing. I will give it some time but the Truth hurts sometimes. Let’s not watch that for years like during the Harry Miller , Scott Thompson and Cohen years.

Comment

• Overwhelmed was an overwhelming exaggeration. But I am not sure we had a great change to win.

Comment

• The tile was probably chosen by some pompous editor, from our no-longer-local paper, that couldn’t give two-$hit$ about WSU.

Seriously, Tillie’s better be on hold to claim the oldest business in Wichita. The Eagle has to be on life support, before too long.
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                The tile was probably chosen by some pompous editor, from our no-longer-local paper, that couldn’t give two-$hit$ about WSU.

Seriously, Tillie’s better be on hold to claim the oldest business in Wichita. The Eagle has to be on life support, before too long.
                All print media is on life support.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                  I cheered the whole game as I have every game since 1964 when I became old enough to know what I was watching or listening to. Or like in the 90s when I watched every miserable game from my seats. The final score and the L have nothing to do with what I’m bitching about. It’s the 39 minutes of 4 guys standing still and one guy dribbling that I have a problem with and no offense but I don’t expect or want that to last more than this Covid season. Now I know IB has been around long enough to have a cure for standing. I will give it some time but the Truth hurts sometimes. Let’s not watch that for years like during the Harry Miller , Scott Thompson and Cohen years.
                  The screening offense is not working. If early attempts to break down the D fail, it's always pull the post up to the top of the key for a screen that never works. Didn't work last year. Isn't working this year. From reports I've heard, the Shox are running Marshall's schemes with a little more individual freedom. I don't think we have the personnel for that offense.

The game seems to be moving to space 4 players around the 3-point line and either drain three's, drive to the basket, or drive and dish. Throw in a pick-n-roll and a pick-n-pop, but that requires a 4 or 5 who can screen and hit from distance.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

The thing is, I expect those "easy shots" are all those inside shots put up by Udeze, Etienne and Dennis that were highly contested by superior post defenders. I'm not sure, given the difference in personnel, we would have been expected to make any more of those shots. That's the difference between statistical analysis and real life.

I can't seem to find a shot chart. ESPN used to include that in their Gameday stats.

Taylor did his own analysis also. He said on clean and open looks WSU was only 2 for 11. This is something to watch and see if it is a trend going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Taylor did his own analysis also. He said on clean and open looks WSU was only 2 for 11. This is something to watch and see if it is a trend going forward.
                      I will be surprised if Tyson misses that many open looks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Agreed. I think a lot of us are forgetting that we essentially only had 8-9 guys so fatigue was definitely a factor and it showed. I actually thought the guys competed hard until the end and I liked the effort. Just missed too many bunnies.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Agreed. I think a lot of us are forgetting that we essentially only had 8-9 guys so fatigue was definitely a factor and it showed. I actually thought the guys competed hard until the end and I liked the effort. Just missed too many bunnies.
                          Transition D and missed open shots were the two biggest issues this game. Clean up one of those two and I think the game would have been closer. Obviously the transition D is the one that should be there every game. Sometimes shots don’t fall but defense is mostly effort and focus. Hopefully that improves as the season goes on and we the whole team is available for practice and games.

Comment

• We had some open looks we missed. I don't remember any bunnies.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I think you are right about Tyson. But the one that is really missing wide open threes is Tre Wade. I think he is 0 for 6 this year. Those shots have to be knocked down. Looks like he needs to spend more time in the gym.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                We had some open looks we missed. I don't remember any bunnies.
                                Several easy layups (wide open) were missed in the first half. Those my friend are bunnies.

Comment

Working...
                                X