Wichita State vs. Missouri Game Thread 12-6-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Uh, no. I just threw it out there and thought there was merit to it. It's an interesting discussion.
    ok fine. I just don't see Musselman as ever being a good fit here.

Comment

• I don't know how many points having 10,000+ at the Roundhouse is worth, but I am glad that we were able to get out with the W regardless. Everything in the world was going against WSU in this one: no fans, no Gregg Marshall, and a very limited roster due to COVID and yet the Shockers were still competitive. It felt like Mizzou was in control from pretty much the under 16 timeout in the second half onward, but we couldn't really completely put it away until the final couple minutes.

I think the Shockers will look different when they get some guys back and get more used to playing for coach Brown. I will be rooting for WSU against Oklahoma State and the rest of the way in the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizzou Man View Post
        I don't know how many points having 10,000+ at the Roundhouse is worth, but I am glad that we were able to get out with the W regardless. Everything in the world was going against WSU in this one: no fans, no Gregg Marshall, and a very limited roster due to COVID and yet the Shockers were still competitive. It felt like Mizzou was in control from pretty much the under 16 timeout in the second half onward, but we couldn't really completely put it away until the final couple minutes.

I think the Shockers will look different when they get some guys back and get more used to playing for coach Brown. I will be rooting for WSU against Oklahoma State and the rest of the way in the AAC.
        Good luck to you guys. You have a fun team to watch. I'll be rooting for you going forward. Because of our mutual hatred of KU, I've always considered Mizzou an easy school to like.

You have an awesome coach. Don't run him off like Tennessee did.

Would love to see the series renewed after next year--I think it's good for both programs.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I don't know how many points having 10,000+ at the Roundhouse is worth, but I am glad that we were able to get out with the W regardless. Everything in the world was going against WSU in this one: no fans, no Gregg Marshall, and a very limited roster due to COVID and yet the Shockers were still competitive. It felt like Mizzou was in control from pretty much the under 16 timeout in the second half onward, but we couldn't really completely put it away until the final couple minutes.

I'd guess a full roundhouse is worth 7 or 8 points anyway. :) I was happy they stayed competitive to be honest and I think they will round in to a good team. They still look a little lost in action and some more effort on ball hounding wouldn't go amiss... We really love to have more than one player with floor burns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Good luck to you guys. You have a fun team to watch. I'll be rooting for you going forward. Because of our mutual hatred of KU, I've always considered Mizzou an easy school to like.

You have an awesome coach. Don't run him off like Tennessee did.

Would love to see the series renewed after next year--I think it's good for both programs.
            I would definitely love to play the Shockers more often. I've seen several Mizzou fans make that suggestion, something about playing at Sprint Center which would apparently hack off KU people or something. Honestly, with the state of the Mizzou program the past 7 or 8 years, I am not really sure it makes a lot of sense from a WSU perspective. There have been a lot more attractive regional opponents in that time frame for the Shockers.

I think the future is bright for the Shockers. Being in the AAC makes it a more attractive job than if you all were still in the Valley. Obvious post is obvious I guess. But in some alternate universe where the Shockers were still in the Valley, it would probably increase the chances of Brown getting the full time job because you would still be the best team. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing but it is interesting at least to me.

Comment

I would definitely love to play the Shockers more often. I've seen several Mizzou fans make that suggestion, something about playing at Sprint Center which would apparently hack off KU people or something. Honestly, with the state of the Mizzou program the past 7 or 8 years, I am not really sure it makes a lot of sense from a WSU perspective. There have been a lot more attractive regional opponents in that time frame for the Shockers.

I think the future is bright for the Shockers. Being in the AAC makes it a more attractive job than if you all were still in the Valley. Obvious post is obvious I guess. But in some alternate universe where the Shockers were still in the Valley, it would probably increase the chances of Brown getting the full time job because you would still be the best team. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing but it is interesting at least to me.
              All true.

The Tigers are going to win a lot of games this year by 10+ points.

Comment

• The thing is, I expect those "easy shots" are all those inside shots put up by Udeze, Etienne and Dennis that were highly contested by superior post defenders. I'm not sure, given the difference in personnel, we would have been expected to make any more of those shots. That's the difference between statistical analysis and real life.

I can't seem to find a shot chart. ESPN used to include that in their Gameday stats.

Comment

Uh, no. I just threw it out there and thought there was merit to it. It's an interesting discussion.
                  For the sake of discussion, I think this is a fair philosophy. The main difference between what Musselman suggests and the Shockers situation is you still need enough bodies to run 5 v 5 in practice.

Comment

• I definitely want to see some small-ball lineups with Jackson at post, and I really feel he should be starting and getting every minute he can play at the current energy level. He's not a plus defender yet (mostly due to positional awareness), but I've been extremely impressed by everything else. I think he is a big reason the team had solid body language towards the end of the game. Hard to judge the rest of the team since we haven't had a straight week with the current coach to practice 5 on 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

The thing is, I expect those "easy shots" are all those inside shots put up by Udeze, Etienne and Dennis that were highly contested by superior post defenders. I'm not sure, given the difference in personnel, we would have been expected to make any more of those shots. That's the difference between statistical analysis and real life.

I can't seem to find a shot chart. ESPN used to include that in their Gameday stats.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post

For the sake of discussion, I think this is a fair philosophy. The main difference between what Musselman suggests and the Shockers situation is you still need enough bodies to run 5 v 5 in practice.
                        But players who are redshirted can still practice. It’s just that they are scholarship players who cannot play in games.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

But players who are redshirted can still practice. It’s just that they are scholarship players who cannot play in games.
                          Right, but my comment is in regard to anybody suggesting that if one coaches philosophy is that you only need 9 players for games, that the current situation with WSU only having 9 suited up would be the same. If you are able to properly plan for having 9 players, and have a full roster available that would be different as you suggest.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

The thing is, I expect those "easy shots" are all those inside shots put up by Udeze, Etienne and Dennis that were highly contested by superior post defenders. I'm not sure, given the difference in personnel, we would have been expected to make any more of those shots. That's the difference between statistical analysis and real life.

I saw that tweet and don’t put much stock in that kind of analysis...but I will say both Dennis and Etienne got good looks that I would expect them to knock down more often than not.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I saw that tweet and don’t put much stock in that kind of analysis...but I will say both Dennis and Etienne got good looks that I would expect them to knock down more often than not.
                              That's for sure.

WSU's been shooting like that the last 3 years.

Comment

• Maybe it's splitting hairs, but the online Eagle report said "Shockers OVERWHELMED by Missouri".....I watched the game and while Mizzou was clearly better, I felt OVERWHELMED was off the mark....thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X