Wichita State vs. Missouri Game Thread 12-6-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
    Breaking news for you - Grand Canyon has been a D1 school since 2013. AM"s stat line this year would help the Shockers -
    Ok good for you. Grand Canyon is Div 1. Lmao I am so glad AM is gone. He was terrible.

Comment

Breaking news for you - Grand Canyon has been a D1 school since 2013. AM"s stat line this year would help the Shockers -
      Ah, the Furman of the West, of course.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

LOL

Count me in the camp that thinks Mitgaard would provide meaningful and valuable minutes to this team. But still. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
          Fact is this is a bad team, and the future doesn't look any better. Someone needs to say it...

Wow. Have a little patience. We have talent but it will take a few games playing together to see results.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

What parallels do you see between Furman and Grand Canyon? Are you confusing Furman with Liberty University?

Comment

• With only eight guys, nine if you count the return of a freshman with one day of practice, and considering how good Mizzou has looked I didn’t expect to win.

I wanted to see how they would react against a big, experienced, athletic team. Bit of a mixed bag. The other team still seems to find a way to get their guards going downhill off screens while we struggle to do the same on the other end.

Clarence Jackson is a beast. He needs to take Trey Wades minutes until Trey gets things sorted out.

Council looked big and dangerous in transition and off the bounce.

Speaking of transition. Where is our transition D? It’s been bad in both games so far.

The push to get it to five at half was impressive. The start of the second half was painful.

I just can’t make any definitive judgments until I see the entire team on the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Ok good for you. Grand Canyon is Div 1. Lmao I am so glad AM is gone. He was terrible.
                You must really have it out for AM. Other than maybe a limited number of FT's what do you see that has been
                "terrible" in hiss stat lines? THIS team could really really use him and if you can't see that I have little respect
                for your BB knowledge and just consider you an AM hater. His D1 stats are not bad at all and he was an intimidator
                on defense.

Comment

• Looked back at my thoughts after the ORU game, and a lot of them still apply here. Not necessarily using this to toot my own horn, as many others have provided the same thoughts but the fact that they have become trends in this very young season is concerning at the very least. There’s probably a mix of coaching/personnel issues causing this, but it’s tough to say.

Dex was non-existent tonight, but I didn’t feel like we did a good job of running sets for him. Hopeful that’s not a sign of things to come.
                  A little better today but he was not efficient. Half-check.

I didn’t have a ton of critiques of Marshall’s coaching, but spacing and lack of a more creative offense are two of them. Watching other teams play is so much different than watching us. It’s like our guys have cement shoes on during our offensive sets.
                  Check. Either our guys have the most other athleticism to foot speed ratio in the country, or we need to run a little more pace and space offense.

There’s been something wrong with our defensive rotations ever since Jans left to go to NMSU.
                  Check.

We need to recruit much better personnel inside. I think that goes without saying. I’m hopeful Josaphat can be a revelation because if we have to primarily run out Mo and IPBC in conference play, we’re going to get destroyed. Other bigs in our conference (and even other weaker conferences) are much more skilled and light on their feet. It would be really nice to have guys like Shaq, Darral, and/or Rashard as they are all superior options at the 4/5 than the guys available yesterday.
                  Double check. Our two bigs we’ve played so far wouldn’t have seen minutes in a non-blowout on a WSU team from 2011-2018.

Sunday might not be pretty if we have the same roster. Would have been nice to see some of the freshmen because I think they have potential.
                  All precincts are not reporting.

Suffice it to say, we are not good. We would be top 2 in the Valley this year, but we have a lot of Valley-level players.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

What parallels do you see between Furman and Grand Canyon? Are you confusing Furman with Liberty University?
                    purple uniforms

Comment

• One thing is for certain. This season we are gonna see just how spoiled shocker fans have become over the last decade or so.

This team isn't "terrible". Not AAC level right now, but not terrible. It's not what we are used to right now, but anyone that didn't expect these kind of results right now were kidding themselves. Even if it is tough to watch at times.

Its frustrating, sure. However, I can be patient....I think.....lol. Just glad to be having SOME kind of a season and thankful for the guys that decided to stick around and give this strange season a chance. With the pandemic and turmoil around the program the past couple months I don't know what I would have done.
                      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I don't know that I can say this is going to be a great team, but even after this loss, there is hope for a good season. Mizzou is a tough, experienced team and we were a short handed team. If we can't get better play from our bigs, it might be a team that should think about experimenting with smaller lineups that try to push the pace. At this point, we need to get back to full strength first to see what kind of contribution we can get from the guys who haven't been able to play yet.

Comment

• We have several days of practice with most if not all our players before the next game. I expect to see improvement against OSU.
                          Last edited by WeWillShockU; December 6, 2020, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cjp27 View Post

LOL

Count me in the camp that thinks Mitgaard would provide meaningful and valuable minutes to this team. But still. LOL.
                            CJP,
                            Agreed.
                            AM isn't the answer to this teams issue in the low post. However, he is better than the the current options.
                            MU is undersized trying to play the low post. If he had decent foot speed and explosion off the floor, well, then maybe.
                            However, he has neither so Northern Iowa would be much better suited for his ability.
                            Poor Bears BBQ is somewhere between Uranus and Neptune. Until it gets to at least close to Mars he will continue to be what he has been.

I've been told by those in the grind JB will be the real deal, once he gets some legit time on the floor. I don't know what the timeframe may be, but the sooner he starts the clock, the better.
                            There will be definite patience involved with this team.
                            Guys like Gilbert, DD and TE will have to carry the load until the kids get some floor time. It will definitely be a work in progress.

Coaching wise, jury is out on IB. Experience has taught one that it is much more difficult to the one that has make decisions vs one who just makes suggestions.
                            Which is of course, is the difference between a head coach and an assistant.

That is all.
                            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• nm
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Suffice it to say, we are not good. We would be top 2 in the Valley this year, but we have a lot of Valley-level players.
                                I'm going to have to disagree with the last part. Our average athleticism is pretty good. What we had today was small against BCS, but most would cause matchup problems in the Valley. Pretty explosive guards. I have no idea how many games we could win in the MVC because that goes well beyond pure physicality (coaching, chemistry, effort, etc.). Most Valley teams are good enough using defensive systems to neutralize raw opposing athleticism.

Comment

Working...
                                X