Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

This is me last night (above).

Tulsa beats a really good team (Houston). To be honest I can't stand Houston - all because of "the biter." (Lose the one player and I can possibly root for Houston.)

So a Houston loss at Tulsa makes the WSU win good, right? Not necessarily. In any other (okay, exactly 5) conference(s), this loss shows just how tough it is to win on the road in conference. Guess which 5 conferences they are. Anyone? But in the American....ahhhhhhh. Wait for it.....Tulsa exposed some of Houston's weaknesses and all of a sudden they aren't that good of a team. I mean, WSU came in here and won, ipto facto, Houston is over-rated. That drags the conference as a whole down. So I'm conflicted.
    So, just out of curiosity, I go over to kenpom to see if the Tulsa win over Houston might just bump us up a bit. After all, we did beat the team that knocked off #5. We jumped up.....

Wait for it.......

Exactly ZERO spots. None. Nada. Ziltch.

I understand that I'm not very smart but I just don't get it.

Comment

• Plus, the hot takes of today will quickly be replaced by the hotter takes of tomorrow after more games are played. The “as it is today thus shall it always be” crowd will have another data point into which they can Elmer glue their flag.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        Tulsa's match up zone gives Houston fits. M/M and a straight zone are more difficult to play against the Cougars and doesn't match up as well. Do we play a match up zone? I don't think we do.
        It appeared we played quite a bit of 2-3 in the second half against USF, and that could have been the difference in the game. Switched back to Man defense in OT?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

So, just out of curiosity, I go over to kenpom to see if the Tulsa win over Houston might just bump us up a bit. After all, we did beat the team that knocked off #5. We jumped up.....

Wait for it.......

Hey, I'm in the same boat...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Wait for it.......

Yeah, not quite sure what that is. It appears to be because there's a fairly wide gap from South Dakota State (+7.73 and ranked 96) and Wright State (+8.16 and ranked 94). If Tulsa and South Florida both made decent jumps, we see a residual from that but perhaps not enough to widen the gap. A +.4 KenPom jump on a day of inactivity would be pretty unlikely. I don't have past data in front of me but my guess is that we were closer to +7.8 or +7.9 when yesterday began, and now we are at +8.13.

Regardless, anything that helps make the teams we've played so far look better is alright by me. It's better for Houston to get knocked down a few times and end up in the 10-15 range while Tulsa (or another similarly-rated opponent) making a big jump to end up in the Top 50 is much better (even a top 75 rating would give us a Quad 1 win). Obviously, that's a long way from happening, but those things matter in selection and seeding for the tournament.
            Last edited by Kel Varnsen; December 30, 2020, 10:42 AM.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Other AAC games of interest for today (Wednesday, 12/30):

SMU (5-0, 1-0) at Temple (1-1, 0-1)
              SMU -7.5
              1 PM central on ESPN+

Tulane (5-2, 0-2) at UCF (3-2, 1-1)
              UCF -9.5
              6 PM central on ESPN+

Comment

Other AAC games of interest for today (Wednesday, 12/30):

SMU (5-0, 1-0) at Temple (1-1, 0-1)
                SMU -7.5
                1 PM central on ESPN+

Tulane (5-2, 0-2) at UCF (3-2, 1-1)
                UCF -9.5
                6 PM central on ESPN+
                I think I would take Tulane and the points. That's a large spread.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I think I would take Tulane and the points. That's a large spread.
                  I like the Tulane coach, he coach here in Atlanta. Hurt his leg in a sideline celebration and had to coach his first NCAA tournament from a scooter. A real charismatic guy

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post

I like the Tulane coach, he coach here in Atlanta. Hurt his leg in a sideline celebration and had to coach his first NCAA tournament from a scooter. A real charismatic guy
                    Unfortunately that reminded me of Cohen (bad memories).

Comment

• I forgot that Anei transferred from Oklahoma State to SMU. Kid has lot of potential

Comment

• Imagine if Teddy Allen had been here the year they granted a blanket waiver to every transfer. That kind of go to scorer would have been huge the last couple years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Unfortunately that reminded me of Cohen (bad memories).
                          I had forgotten all about that!

Comment

• Comment

• SMU wins by 8 at Temple.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post
                                SMU wins by 8 at Temple.
                                How’d SMU look?

Comment

Working...
                                X