Isaac Brown Named Interim Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
    He's got 19 years of D1 experience on the bench. More than capable for an interim position.

We'll see how "lettin' em get and run" translates this year.
    After watching some of our players do things in pro leagues that I was hoping they would do here (Kelly, Brown, Frankamp etc all seem to be MUCH better at attacking than they were here). I'm hoping that HCIB can luck potential in a different way than Marshall was good at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Lots of good tidbits in there. I'm excited ... sounds like it will be a bit more uptempo than we are used to.
      “Some of the younger guys have reached out to me and they’re saying they’re enjoying playing for IB,” Kelly said. “They’re enjoying it and they’re feeling good. It’s not like they didn’t feel like they could be themselves before, but IB gives them a little more ability to express themselves on the court.”

Kelly thinks Brown will retain many of the same sets WSU has been running for the last decade-plus under Marshall. The biggest change, Kelly believes, will be to an increase in tempo by the Shockers. Brown prefers to play fast and let athletes be athletes, according to Kelly, which is the biggest difference from Marshall, who preferred execution from his half-court sets.

“To be honest, that’s what these players need and that’s what the game is turning to these days,” Kelly said. “Players need the freedom to do something random like take a guy off the dribble and drive to the rim. It might be a little different at first and guys are going to have to be disciplined, but I think the fans are going to like the new style.”
      Sounds promising!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        with a temporary asst coach slot opening up, now is the time to ask Ron to join the staff for a season. He could teach the guards a lot and relate to these guys on another level, plus he's looking for something to do.
        I think WSU may have to publicly distance themselves from former players for at least a season. The reason I say that is I was watching one of the local Wichita channels last night and they were talking to one of the individuals behind the full page ad supporting Gregg Marshall and he was on the fence about supporting WSU. One of the first things WSU will need to do is repair any relations with people on that ad - to put your name out there on an ad in support of Marshall isn't something someone would do lightly. Bringing on any former player, especially those that didn't say anything for or against Marshall, may just break any goodwill the university has left with those boosters/donors. Alternatively, bringing on any former player who vocally supported Marshall, may please those boosters/donors but alienate other fans. It's really a no-win situation now with WSU doing anything with the former players. Fans may want to see certain things, but WSU is going to look at how things affect finances first.
        Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; November 18, 2020, 10:47 AM.
        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post

Thanks Shock Ref, tag me next time you want to be a *****.

I brought it up because it is a monumental occasion for an African American coach to be installed as a head basketball coach here. We have never had one and there was no precedent for one to even be looked at for a future coaching role here. I would assume based on your racist reaction you are part of the problem.
          Ok, idiot you're tagged. Request granted.
          You are one those libtards who say shiit like "I'm not a racist at all. I have lots of black friends." or "I voted for Obama, see I'm love black people too."
          Nobody cares if IB is black, white or purple.
          Right now, all anybody who cares about the program is concerned about is if IB and staff (which includes, holy ****, white and black assistants!) right the ship and somehow keep the guys focused and prepared to play next Wednesday.
          It's a tough, tough position for IB and staff to be dropped into and I am not envious of their position. He is being asked to provide leadership, guidance and of course game instruction and his being black doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.
          It's all about ability - period.

That is all.
          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiloPeterjohn View Post

I kind of wanted him to say he defended GGG, that things were not what they seemed. Maybe that's a lot to ask spur of a moment, on a podcast, having to navigate public perception and media circus. But I wanted to hear that, right or wrong.
            So, if what you wanted to hear wasn't the truth, you'd prefer he lied? Maybe Ron is a little more inclined to obey that 9th (of 10) Commandment
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

You are one those libtards who say shiit like "I'm not a racist at all. I have lots of black friends." or "I voted for Obama, see I'm love black people too."
              Right now, all anybody who cares about the program is concerned about is if IB and staff (which includes, holy ****, white and black assistants!) right the ship and somehow keep the guys focused and prepared to play next Wednesday.
              It's a tough, tough position for IB and staff to be dropped into and I am not envious of their position. He is being asked to provide leadership, guidance and of course game instruction and his being black doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.

That is all.
              Thanks, see how hard that was? Actually I do see color. Black, white, yellow, orange, pink. Anybody saying they don't is as racist as your race baiting comments above. If you actually knew the players you would know they do appreciate playing for a coach who has been through the same life experiences they have, regardless of what you think you know. He is not being asked to do anything he didn't already do... its just a new title for him. The players have always gravitated to him. His coaching and teaching styles are a nice change of pace, hence why Rashard Kelly's comments are so refreshing for a former player to come out and say it.

Enjoy your retirement.
              Last edited by mjbaker84; November 18, 2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

So, if what you wanted to hear wasn't the truth, you'd prefer he lied? Maybe Ron is a little more inclined to obey that 9th (of 10) Commandment
                What about the 11th commandment?

Thouest shalt not turneth thy back on thy brother and stabbeth he in the back.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I like how you first apologize for the disrespect, then proceed to passive aggressively remind him, and others, that there's no chance he keeps the job.

Sometimes, you just can help (or stop) yourself.
                  Sorry brah, it's the best I could do. I retracted the trash and left the rest. Your persona on here is Mr. Touchy-Feely. I operate out of the other camp. The chance that Mr. Brown is a diamond in the rough, top-40 national coaching material, and he just happens to be sitting on our bench, is as close to zero as one will ever see in their lifetime. So yeah, I gotta reiterate that he has one season to increase his knowledge base and hopefully nab a head coaching spot in the Big Sky or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Sorry brah, it's the best I could do. I retracted the trash and left the rest. Your persona on here is Mr. Touchy-Feely. I operate out of the other camp. The chance that Mr. Brown is a diamond in the rough, top-40 national coaching material, and he just happens to be sitting on our bench, is as close to zero as one will ever see in their lifetime. So yeah, I gotta reiterate that he has one season to increase his knowledge base and hopefully nab a head coaching spot in the Big Sky or something.
                    A person can manage to not be a pos and still not be touchy-feely. Of course, it takes more than 2 brain cells in a booze killed brain, but it is possible.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

A person can manage to not be a pos and still not be touchy-feely. Of course, it takes more than 2 brain cells in a booze killed brain, but it is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

That is all.
                        I'm still amazed at those that make race an issue in everything.

You are 100% correct in his race means nothing. The only thing that matters is his ability to do the job and keep the program on track.

I'm looking forward to next week as it's been way too long since we've had basketball
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I hope that IB makes the decision after the season very difficult.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                            I hope that IB makes the decision after the season very difficult.
                            I hope it makes it extremely easy for us ... Hang an AAC Championship Banner and remove the interim title the same day ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I hope it makes it extremely easy for us ... Hang an AAC Championship Banner and remove the interim title the same day ....
                              I can probably get behind this. My caveat is that I don't want one season of success to blind us from the best option for the future. I would hate to be 1 or 2 years down the road after this year and find out we got starry-eyed at the veneer of an AAC championship.

I will say that the ONLY assistant from the college ranks to be considered should be IB. Period.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Brown should get consideration and an interview after the season, unless it's a complete disaster, but we shouldn't limit ourselves.

This is also a bad time to be in need of a coach. If Boatright remains or not, he won't be here long. At some point we will have a new president and I'm sure that person will make change if one hasn't already happened. Which might also mean that any coach that would be hired by Boatright, might be held to some pretty lofty expectations by a new AD since they wouldn't be their guy. Though, if we make the right hire, it won't matter. There's a short list of guys who wouldn't be on a very short leash with a new AD.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X