Isaac Brown Named Interim Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Not too sure. I do know that Dave Bliss was a Knight assistant. However, I think he was tarnished for his own transgressions at Baylor than anything to do with Knight. Any others I can think of were not tarnished (Coach K, Mike Davis, Alford, Beard, Jim Crews, Royce Waltman, Dan Dakich).
    Coach K seems to come out of it unscathed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Your understanding of sarcasm rivals that of Sheldon Cooper.
      Unfortunately, my intelligence doesn’t.
      The Assman

Comment

• Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on what the minimum level of achievement that coach Brown would need to meet to have a legitimate shot at being the permanent replacement, instead of just the interim?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post
          Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on what the minimum level of achievement that coach Brown would need to meet to have a legitimate shot at being the permanent replacement, instead of just the interim?
          Hard to answer that in a vacuum. A lot also depends on who else is on the table. There are a certain level of available coaches that I think barring IB winning a natty, you can't turn down. That's the Beilein level hire. If Jans is on the table, then IB would need at least a Top 3 AAC finish and a 2nd or maybe weekend run to still be considered.

So really it tiers based on your other options.

Comment

• I am rooting for him to succeed for multiple reasons. He knows the culture, loves the community, would have a great chance to keep player and staff continuity, and we would not miss a beat recruiting. What that takes in terms of wins is unknown to me but in a perfect world, we are doing well enough so that decision could be made before the season is out.

Does that mean I am ready to anoint him as head coach the next 4 years? Not yet, but there are compelling arguments on his side in addition to a winning season.

Comment

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on what the minimum level of achievement that coach Brown would need to meet to have a legitimate shot at being the permanent replacement, instead of just the interim?
              Finish better than they did last year; 24 wins; 2nd place (didn't we finish in a tie for 3rd?).

Edit: Just checked. We finished 2nd, right behind a 3-way, 13-5, tie for first place (does that make us the 4th place finishers?). We were 11-7 in the conference. So, I would say win 24 (or more) overall, and finish better than 11-7 in the conference. Win 1 tournament game.

Of course I would like to get Beilein but don't think that's going to happen. Getting a coach who has learned under GGG for 6 years is not a bad thing, if that be the case. He showed that a little bit the other night.
              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; December 24, 2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Make the dance and win a game.

Comment

• totally depends on who else is interested plsu the $$ that would be required for the interested guys.

I think it's going to be Jans, IB will look for a HC gig and take one if it feels right for him. Gudino would stay. Waterman and Kennedy would depend on who Jans has connections with and how their departure might affect player retention.

Recruiting is likely to take a hit. It's easier for a recruit to want to play for a NCOY coach than for a guy who's been successful at Bowlinbg green and New Mexico State. IB may have more of a problem closing recruits than Jans.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Depends who else is willing or available. Ideally I would still like someone with more experience and a track record of success as a head coach. Too hard to judge (good or bad) based off of 1 season...let alone this season. But I have been pleasantly surprised with some of his in-game adjustments so far. So I guess we will see.

For me, I don't want to set a bar for him to be hired or not hired. Goes deeper than just wins and losses this year for me.
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I think Coach IB deserves to be considered, but in my mind is a long ways from being the primary Coach that may be considered for, at the very least, a top 40 D1 job. We're only a few games into the season and that is the only head coach experience he will bring to the table. We have been down this road before with Mike Cohen, Randy Smithson (JUCO), It takes awhile to develop a recruiting network that can bring in the level of player we have gotten used too under GM. I have no doubt that IB can sell any recruit and parents on the merits of coming to WSU once he can get in the living room, but it takes a LOT of connections to get in that living room. I don't recall which of the current players could be attributed to IB, but am sure the majority of the players are here due to GM. Granted IB is winning some close games with these players and appears to be a lot of upside to them, but the question for the HC position should be the future of the program not just what can you do now. I am rooting for this Coach and the team to go a long ways, but need to keep things in perspective.

Comment

There is no achievement that would make him a viable candidate in my eyes.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• IB and Waterman recruited the majority of the players on this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            IB and Waterman recruited the majority of the players on this team.
                            Sure. Penny is a good recruiter too. It’s vital for an assistant to be a good recruiter.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Obviously the final decision will come down to several key factors like how well we finish the entire season for IB to be in contention, and it is obvious we have to finish well. I personally like what we have seen of him so far. And he should certainly be given a fair shot at the job.

As far as other contenders for consideration, I want to see a coach who is chomping at the bit to be our head coach. One who clearly sees being WSU's HC as a DREAM JOB, and naturally whom has several years experience as a Head Coach in a winning program.

Or even perhaps, an outstanding Assistant coach at one of the top 40 BB schools in the country, who has success written all over him.

And I am sure the list goes on and on.

Comment

Working...
                              X