Isaac Brown Named Interim Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

Listen to the the show, I know its\'s been awhile since you were on the course but ...
    You're right. Did IB change his statement about Udeze's 3 light?

Comment

• I'm way more concerned about hiring the best head coach than losing players. Chances are if you make the right hire (CJ) it won't even happen. If it does then you have to have faith in the new coach to bring in his own guys. Plus some who may transfer wouldn't be a big loss. It's not like we're tearing up the AAC recruiting trail. We have solid recruits with potential but we're currently at a disadvantage against top AAC teams. Colored me not worried about losing guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
        I'm way more concerned about hiring the best head coach than losing players. Chances are if you make the right hire (CJ) it won't even happen. If it does then you have to have faith in the new coach to bring in his own guys. Plus some who may transfer wouldn't be a big loss. It's not like we're tearing up the AAC recruiting trail. We have solid recruits with potential but we're currently at a disadvantage against top AAC teams. Colored me not worried about losing guys.
        This and yes, Jans.

Comment

I'm way more concerned about hiring the best head coach than losing players. Chances are if you make the right hire (CJ) it won't even happen. If it does then you have to have faith in the new coach to bring in his own guys. Plus some who may transfer wouldn't be a big loss. It's not like we're tearing up the AAC recruiting trail. We have solid recruits with potential but we're currently at a disadvantage against top AAC teams. Colored me not worried about losing guys.
          Off question; how much of GMj's behavior leaked out and hurt our recruiting? We seemed to have pretty good classes coming in, but maybe lost out on better players?

Comment

If a starter or two leave and 3 or 4 total guys leave, then it's pretty much the same as we've been seeing the last couple of years.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• And we were only 23-6 last year. With a postseason, we likely would have won 26 games again. I'm glad we had a terrible year again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                And we were only 23-6 last year. With a postseason, we likely would have won 26 games again. I'm glad we had a terrible year again.
                What's that have to do with next coach? GM wasn't dismissed for his win %.

Comment

What's that have to do with next coach? GM wasn't dismissed for his win %.
                  Not a thing. But some critics of GM have been relentless regarding transfers and I was just pointing out that we still were having success. Hell, if not for transfers, we could have been 30-0. Right?

Comment

• As I think about the head coaching job right now, I believe that the next head coach at Wichita State should come from outside the program. I believe that none of the past or present assistant coaches should be hired as the next head coach. Outside of Wichita, there would be the appearance that the coaches at Wichita State enabled Marshall to abuse and belittle the players and they did nothing to stop it. The only thing almost as bad as an abuser is one who enables and stands by and let’s the abuse continue. Chris Jans as head coach would even bring more baggage to the table. If an assistant were to get the job, the bad press would not help the school. The negative recruiting could be very problematic.

It would be best to bring in a new head coach from outside the program. That coach needs to be able to recruit 3-5 star players. They also need to have a good reputation. The WSU administration will have to really check people out to make sure they are squeaky clean. That is my opinion. I know it will not be shared by some, but that is why we have a message board, to share opposing opinions.

Comment

• I'm not hearing a peep from the press about Chris Jans. It would be very hypocritical for them to pile on him just because he changed coaching jobs. The guy is a winner regardless of the fact that he has a history with WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        I'm not hearing a peep from the press about Chris Jans. It would be very hypocritical for them to pile on him just because he changed coaching jobs. The guy is a winner regardless of the fact that he has a history with WSU.
                        I assume calfan is referring to the incident that got him fired at Bowling Green as well as his long time association with Marshall. “Guilt by association”. I guess WSU is looking for a coach who can recruit high level guys, knows how to coach them up and who has never made a mistake their entire life and everyone who’s ever met them liked them.

I’m only half joking.

I don’t think it’s fair to hold Jans or anyone accountable for the incident between Marshall and Shaq, Marshall and Linstead, or Marshall and parking lot dipshit. To call them enablers seems ridiculous but I guess I can understand how some would view it that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                          As I think about the head coaching job right now, I believe that the next head coach at Wichita State should come from outside the program. I believe that none of the past or present assistant coaches should be hired as the next head coach. Outside of Wichita, there would be the appearance that the coaches at Wichita State enabled Marshall to abuse and belittle the players and they did nothing to stop it. The only thing almost as bad as an abuser is one who enables and stands by and let’s the abuse continue. Chris Jans as head coach would even bring more baggage to the table. If an assistant were to get the job, the bad press would not help the school. The negative recruiting could be very problematic.

It would be best to bring in a new head coach from outside the program. That coach needs to be able to recruit 3-5 star players. They also need to have a good reputation. The WSU administration will have to really check people out to make sure they are squeaky clean. That is my opinion. I know it will not be shared by some, but that is why we have a message board, to share opposing opinions.
                          I’m not sure how many Boy Scout, Peace Corp types of men have been successful coaches. Who fits the bill for your criteria? Tom Izzo? No. John Calipari? No. Rick Pitino? Definitely No. Bob Huggins? No. Frank Martin? No. Mike Boynton? No he was Frank Martin’s man. Many Asst. Coaches came from trees like that.

I know Bill Self and Mike K. From Duke. LOL

We don’t need a successful coach. We do need someone that everyone likes. How long will they last here? A lot of people liked Eddie Fogler but he didn’t want to stay past 3 years and was he a winner?

Everyone liked Scott Thompson and Mike Cohen.
                          Last edited by Shockm; December 9, 2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I’m not sure how many Boy Scout, Peace Corp types of men have been successful coaches. Who fits the bill for your criteria? Tom Izzo? No. John Calipari? No. Rick Pitino? Definitely No. Bob Huggins? No. Frank Martin? No. Mike Boynton? No he was Frank Martin’s man. Many Asst. Coaches came from trees like that.

I know Bill Self and Mike K. From Duke. LOL

We don’t need a successful coach. We do need someone that everyone likes. How long will they last here? A lot of people liked Eddie Fogler but he didn’t want to stay past 3 years and was he a winner?
                            Jay Wright ... Tony Bennett, ole Roy? The last 4 National championship winners?

Comment

• Jans

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                                As I think about the head coaching job right now, I believe that the next head coach at Wichita State should come from outside the program. I believe that none of the past or present assistant coaches should be hired as the next head coach. Outside of Wichita, there would be the appearance that the coaches at Wichita State enabled Marshall to abuse and belittle the players and they did nothing to stop it. The only thing almost as bad as an abuser is one who enables and stands by and let’s the abuse continue. Chris Jans as head coach would even bring more baggage to the table. If an assistant were to get the job, the bad press would not help the school. The negative recruiting could be very problematic.

No offense to you, calfan, but at this point, I don't giving a flying **** what anyone outside of Wichita thinks. I want the best coach who wants to be at WSU...PERIOD...and if that's Chris Jans (and I think it very well could be), then so be it. The man is a winner, plain and simple. For anyone who thinks ill of his baggage, I say that he had a really, Really, REALLY bad night on that ill-fated night at Bowling Green which probably cost him AT LEAST a million dollars of career earnings. What more punishment is he required to endure? By all accounts, he's been a model citizen since then...and seemingly was a good dude when he was here in Wichita, so that is a complete non-issue for me.

We all think this is a big deal because it's in our yard. How many people in Wichita cared about Larry Eustachy 5-10 years after his situation? Other than saying, "Oh yeah, he was the coach who partied with co-eds at Mizzou," none of us damned him to coaching exile or cared when he took jobs at other schools. Same with Chris. Pretty sure everyone else in the basketball world has more-or-less moved on from his incident. If he is hired here, it will not be a talking point whatsoever...and if he gets the Shockers to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament, it really will be water under the bridge.
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X