Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post
    IMO, Isaac is playing himself into a short track for a good gig, like a Tulane or Butler or Vandy. I’m just not sure he could have sustained success at a Top 30 program. Sure, he helped build what WSU is, but he did it under the direction of Gregg.

What bothers me is he has been an assistant for so long when Gregg has been a head coach factory at WSU. Steve Forbes, Chris Jans, Dana Ford, Donnie Jones, and Earl Grant all left WSU and became head coaches. Why hasn’t Isaac?

Don’t get me wrong, he seems like a great guy, but would he have the same level of success without Lou and Billy?
    I'm kind of shocked that you will not give IHCIB ANY props...if, if, if.....he MAY not get the job, but you are way too dismissive WAAAAY too early...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Brown has said before that he’s had opportunities for head coaching gigs. Perhaps he was waiting for the right opportunity.
      I think in his first coaches show, he said that he was offered a job last season but turned it down because he wanted to stay at WSU. He said he pulled his name out of consideration for a couple other positions because he wanted to stay here.

Perhaps I will get some backlash for saying this, but I've enjoyed watching this team more than almost any Marshall team. They're having fun, there is no head hanging, every single player is giving energy, rather they're playing or on the bench. I remember the last couple years watching teammates not helping each other up, not hyping each other up, and teams giving up once their down, pointing fingers at one another, etc. The players like playing for IB, and they play hard for him.

I like the pace we play with. I like the adjustments that IB and the coaching staff make throughout the game. I like that players can play through mistakes, and they usually make up for them. I like that we have a coach that calls timeouts when the other team goes on a big run.

I know Marshall gets a lot of praise for creating the foundation for this team. I think IB deserves more credit for how well this team is playing.

Comment

• I think this is IB’s job to lose unless we just completely collapse the rest of the season.

Comment

• Through 11 games with so many new guys and in the middle of a freaking pandemic! I would have been pleasantly surprised by this record with Marshall at the helm. Maybe be a little more salty about letting the OSU or MIZZOU game getting away from them but still would be impressed with 8-3 start.
          But with these results, I am completely blown away and extremely impressed with the job IB is doing so far. Is he the long term answer I have no idea but I love what I’ve seen to this point.
          Unless we can get someone you don’t say no to like Jans, Beilein, or maybe Matta etc. but at this pace give me IB over any available “up and comer” from the lower ranks or over a “name” coach looking to restart the clock like Prohm or even say like a Buzz Williams or even like a Turg.
          Still lots of season to play but so far so good for IB, I’m a fan and rooting for him to succeed and will do the same next year even if he’s on a different bench! Much respect thus far my man!
          If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I'm kind of shocked that you will not give IHCIB ANY props...if, if, if.....he MAY not get the job, but you are way too dismissive WAAAAY too early...
            That’s not what I’m saying at all. He has done a good job and several players are blossoming. I’m saying that Kevin Ollie even won a national championship and he was shown to be completely unqualified to be a D1 head coach. At this level we need a coach who has proven to have sustained success at the D1 level, who has proven he can attract players. Isaac has several yellow (read not red) flags. IMO he is the consummate assistant. Just not sure he is the type to have sustained success as a HC. If we didn’t have Jans looking so great off in the corner making lover eyes at us, it might be easier to stay with IB.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Comment

That’s not what I’m saying at all. He has done a good job and several players are blossoming. I’m saying that Kevin Ollie even won a national championship and he was shown to be completely unqualified to be a D1 head coach. At this level we need a coach who has proven to have sustained success at the D1 level, who has proven he can attract players. Isaac has several yellow (read not red) flags. IMO he is the consummate assistant. Just not sure he is the type to have sustained success as a HC. If we didn’t have Jans looking so great off in the corner making lover eyes at us, it might be easier to stay with IB.
                It’s a fair point that makes me wonder why weren’t Kevin Ollie and Chris Lowry able to sustain their initial success?

Also, are there examples of assistants who took over and maintained and expanded the success of their predecessor?

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

It’s a fair point that makes me wonder why weren’t Kevin Ollie and Chris Lowry able to sustain their initial success?

Also, are there examples of assistants who took over and maintained and expanded the success of their predecessor?
                  Gonzaga, San Diego State and VCU.

Comment

IMO, Isaac is playing himself into a short track for a good gig, like a Tulane or Butler or Vandy. I’m just not sure he could have sustained success at a Top 30 program. Sure, he helped build what WSU is, but he did it under the direction of Gregg.

What bothers me is he has been an assistant for so long when Gregg has been a head coach factory at WSU. Steve Forbes, Chris Jans, Dana Ford, Donnie Jones, and Earl Grant all left WSU and became head coaches. Why hasn’t Isaac?

Don’t get me wrong, he seems like a great guy, but would he have the same level of success without Lou and Billy?
                    IB probably wouldn't interview as well as the guys on your list. It might have affected his lack of offers in the past. For instance, Donnie Jones is very polished and convincing, but I wouldn't want him for our coach. This is a perfect scenario for IB to interview by real results. If he finishes strong the rest of the season he will probably get the job, and from what I've seen so far I wouldn't have a problem with that.
                    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

Gonzaga, San Diego State and VCU.
                      Mark Few was groomed for the position.
                      Brian Dutcher was an 18 year assistant to Steve Fisher and was also groomed for the position
                      if you are referring to Rhoades, he was the HC at rice before VCU and is a product of Randolph-Macon.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Here my take on it:
                        Lets just say we have a top 3 finish in the AAC, IB would prolly win AAC coach of the year, and then we get a NCAA tourney birth, then we would have a very experience team coming back next season. I think you have no choice to give it to IB. If not, its going to look so bad from a national perspective. I also legit think you will be rebuilding again cuz I think half the team would transfer. I think you would legit have troubles finding a high profile hot coaching candidate.
                        I think we can get IB at a pretty low salary rate and give him a few years to see how he does. If it doesn't work out then its not a financially burden to move on in 2 or 3 years.
                        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Making comparisons to Kevin Ollie is not at all relevant. This is from his Wikipedia entry

After retiring from professional basketball in 2010, Ollie joined UConn as an assistant coach; in 2012 he was promoted to head coach following the retirement of Jim Calhoun
                          That gave Ollie a grand total of two years as an assistant, which didn't give him time to develop recruiting contacts or learn much about coaching. IB has had 19 years to learn coaching from a variety of coaches, develop recruiting contacts, and 7 years working with Marshall and Marshall's system. It would be hard to come up with a worse comparison than comparing Ollie and IB.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Mark Few was groomed for the position.
                            Brian Dutcher was an 18 year assistant to Steve Fisher and was also groomed for the position
                            if you are referring to Rhoades, he was the HC at rice before VCU and is a product of Randolph-Macon.
                            Does the Dutcher scenario undermine the "why was he an assistant for so long; is something wrong?" argument?
                            So which is better; a multiyear assistant without HC experience who takes over and leads a team deep or an NBA assistant without HC experience? I know which I'd prefer.

Comment

• Give IB a decent salary heavy with incentives and a low buyout

Comment

• Besides the fact that IB is doing a heckuva job this season, there is also a financial aspect to consider. Marshall is commanding a sizeable chunk of money, presumably from the same donors who will be paying a majority of any future head coach's salary. I think it's going to be very difficult to also scrape together enough to make a splash hire.

Given those constraints, it seems to me there is a near-perfect storm brewing where WSU is seeing what Brown is capable of, and that he can be hired for what WSU will be capable of paying.

Comment

Working...
                                X