No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ex-NBA player currently coaching college ball is Jerry Stackhouse in his 2nd season at Vanderbilt (https://vucommodores.com/coach/jerry-stackhouse/). No college coaching experience and was a Raptors assistant coach. From his bio:

"As head coach of Raptors 905, Stackhouse earned NBA G League Coach of the Year honors after he steered the team to a 39-11 regular season record and 6-1 playoff record in 2016-17, en route to the team’s first NBA G League championship. The following season, Stackhouse led the Raptors 905 to a 31-19 regular season record and a second straight appearance in the NBA G League Finals."

He's struggling though at Vanderbilt - they went 11-21 last year and most of the wins were non-con as they went 3-15 in the SEC. Off to a 4-5 start this year, but 0-3 in SEC play.
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Stackhouse also has the unfortunate circumstance of coaching at Vanderbilt. It will be interesting if he can turn that program around in a few more years. Not an easy job.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Vanderbilt is a high academic school. It is probably difficult to recruit players that can be admitted and fit the kind of system he wants to run.

Comment

• How's Mullin's doing at St. Johns? Is Ewing still coaching for the Hoya's? Anyone heard from Avery Johnson these days?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
            How's Mullin's doing at St. Johns? Is Ewing still coaching for the Hoya's? Anyone heard from Avery Johnson these days?
            I can randomly pick and choose former nba players who have been successful at the college level too. Matter of fact I have done that. What is your point? There are plenty of instances on both sides to support or debunk.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post
              Vanderbilt is a high academic school. It is probably difficult to recruit players that can be admitted and fit the kind of system he wants to run.
              Based on his bio, he set up some AAU teams back in 2011 -

"In 2011, Stackhouse launched Stackhouse Elite, an AAU program based in Atlanta, Georgia. The program captured numerous titles in the 15U, 16U, and 17U divisions."

Not sure when they played at these spots, but looks like a couple guys from the AAU teams went on to Temple, one to USF, one to Memphis, and a couple others to Baylor, among others - https://www.stackhouseelitebasketball.com/alumni. So it may not be too difficult for him to recruit players if he has some good ones in his AAU system and the AAU coaches run a similar system to his.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I can randomly pick and choose former nba players who have been successful at the college level too. Matter of fact I have done that. What is your point? There are plenty of instances on both sides to support or debunk.
                Name the ones with no prior College coaching experience who've had success, randomly. Don't cop out now.

That's my point, ok?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Based on his bio, he set up some AAU teams back in 2011 -

"In 2011, Stackhouse launched Stackhouse Elite, an AAU program based in Atlanta, Georgia. The program captured numerous titles in the 15U, 16U, and 17U divisions."

Not sure when they played at these spots, but looks like a couple guys from the AAU teams went on to Temple, one to USF, one to Memphis, and a couple others to Baylor, among others - https://www.stackhouseelitebasketball.com/alumni. So it may not be too difficult for him to recruit players if he has some good ones in his AAU system and the AAU coaches run a similar system to his.
                  Can they get into Vanderbilt based on their ACT/SAT scores? That is the question. I certainly didn’t have good enough scores for a school like Vanderbilt but was able to get into State Universities.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

Can they get into Vanderbilt based on their ACT/SAT scores? That is the question. I certainly didn’t have good enough scores for a school like Vanderbilt but was able to get into State Universities.
                    I don't know. I guess we'll find out though if any of them show up on his team in the future.

Comment

• Bobby Hurley (139-93 record), Dan Majerle (136-89), Fred Hoiberg (126-89)

Comment

• Games like this make the decision much harder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                          Games like this make the decision much harder.
                          TBH, Isaac Brown is the front runner right now for AAC coach of the year.... Would be hard to not give him the job if this continues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

TBH, Isaac Brown is the front runner right now for AAC coach of the year.... Would be hard to not give him the job if this continues.
                            100 percent agree. I really like IB.

Comment

• The one thing Isaac Brown needs to work on and polish is how he speaks/answers questions. Content of the answers are great. Slow down for goodness sake. I know you are excited. When answering a question pause as if contemplating the answer and then answer slowly and deliberately. The winner doesn't necessarily win because he was able to speak more words per minute than the next guy. Slow and deliberate wins this race. Go IB Go Shocks

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                The one thing Isaac Brown needs to work on and polish is how he speaks/answers questions. Content of the answers are great. Slow down for goodness sake. I know you are excited. When answering a question pause as if contemplating the answer and then answer slowly and deliberately. The winner doesn't necessarily win because he was able to speak more words per minute than the next guy. Slow and deliberate wins this race. Go IB Go Shocks
                                If we want a good press conference.... I think we have heard of a guy...

Comment

Working...
                                X