Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
    I think an NBA assistant with the experience of AG would be just fine at the college level. And as for recruiting, he knows as well as anyone the driving factors of kids, as he has one that is/was going through it. He can relate. For some reason, I think he would bring the juice to WSU and build upon where we are now.
    Seems like a great option based on all reports here except for the elephant in the room. Hopefully that is cleared up by next year so that he can be considered, or not, without fear of future backlash.

Between Isaac Brown, Griffin, Jans, Matta, etc there are plenty of names out there who could potentially keep the train rolling. Each guy has various questions. Is Brown ready to be a head coach “at this level” (puke)? Is Jans happy where he’s at and his baggage behind him? Both questions for Griffin. Is Matta healthy and ready to go?

And of course the question that applies to all of them, are they interested in the job?

I guess we’ll see when we see.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Seems like a great option based on all reports here except for the elephant in the room. Hopefully that is cleared up by next year so that he can be considered, or not, without fear of future backlash.

Between Isaac Brown, Griffin, Jans, Matta, etc there are plenty of names out there who could potentially keep the train rolling. Each guy has various questions. Is Brown ready to be a head coach “at this level” (puke)? Is Jans happy where he’s at and his baggage behind him? Both questions for Griffin. Is Matta healthy and ready to go?

And of course the question that applies to all of them, are they interested in the job?

I guess we’ll see when we see.
      Griffin is interested...

Comment

• Biggest question, as mentioned earlier, is whether they think they can win a title here. I'm pretty sure Griffin, Matta, Jans, Eck and maybe Brown would say yes. That is the energy I want from my coach, and one thing no one ever questioned about Marshall was how he felt in that regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Griffin is interested...

Yeah I saw that when it was posted originally. Saying you’re interested today when asked and taking the job 6 months later when/if it’s offered are two different things.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Yeah I saw that when it was posted originally. Saying you’re interested today when asked and taking the job 6 months later when/if it’s offered are two different things.
            True. He could be coaching and NBA team by then.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
              Biggest question, as mentioned earlier, is whether they think they can win a title here. I'm pretty sure Griffin, Matta, Jans, Eck and maybe Brown would say yes. That is the energy I want from my coach, and one thing no one ever questioned about Marshall was how he felt in that regard.
              Are you just jacking with us by even mentioning Eck?

Comment

• I'm not sold on AG due to his lack of D1 coaching experience. I envision P. Hardaway minus 3 or 5 McDonald's AA's.

Can anyone come up with a list of NBA coaches who have moved down to the D1 level with no prior experience, in any form, and had success? He'd be breaking the mold if he could encounter positive results. It's a different game with a whole lot less talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                  Biggest question, as mentioned earlier, is whether they think they can win a title here. I'm pretty sure Griffin, Matta, Jans, Eck and maybe Brown would say yes. That is the energy I want from my coach, and one thing no one ever questioned about Marshall was how he felt in that regard.
                  Yes Marshall had energy and that's important but the biggest thing about him was that he came after a successful coach who continually referred to WSU as "on a Certain level". Marshall never referred to WSU as being on a level, and he had a vision to take us to a high major level. I'm grateful for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                    I'm not sold on AG due to his lack of D1 coaching experience. I envision P. Hardaway minus 3 or 5 McDonald's AA's.

Can anyone come up with a list of NBA coaches who have moved down to the D1 level with no prior experience, in any form, and had success? He'd be breaking the mold if he could encounter positive results. It's a different game with a whole lot less talent.
                    Fred Hoiberg comes to mind. Dan Majerle at GCU. Eric Musselman. Avery Johnson has proven he can recruit and has had some success in a couple of years at Bama. Bobby Hurley at Az State. Larry Krystkowiak at Utah. Bryce Drew and Dan D'Antonio (Marshall).

Comment

Fred Hoiberg comes to mind. Dan Majerle at GCU. Eric Musselman. Avery Johnson has proven he can recruit and has had some success in a couple of years at Bama. Bobby Hurley at Az State. Larry Krystkowiak at Utah. Bryce Drew and Dan D'Antonio (Marshall).
                      Ok, yeah, sure... but anybody else?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Lol! But to be fair, it is a mixed bag of success and failures.

Comment

• Craig Smith, the coach of Utah State, could be a candidate. He makes around $700,000. A negative is an approximate $1.6 million dollar buyout after this season. He has been very successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

I mean, I guess you could throw in Mike Dunleavy. I would say those to be determined are Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin.

Comment

I mean, I guess you could throw in Mike Dunleavy. I would say those to be determined are Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin.
                                I think a determination was made on Chris Mullin. And Clyde Drexler was a disaster at Houston.

Comment

Working...
                                X