Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

The above reminded me of something I read in an article when Boatright became AD. It was from January 2016 and is here - https://thesunflower.com/4148/news/b...etic-director/ - and I remember this part from it:

I wonder if Ron actually did talk about it back then with Boatright or didn't and his quote above didn't age well.

Boatright will be fired if the Team or player addressed it with him when it occurred. Furthermore, if it was discussed, then I can understand the players coming forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
      What a SCREWED UP MESS.

And the sadist part, in addition to the life long memories and reputations of those involved, and this UNIVERSITY, is that this will always remain a part of our Sports History for the rest of this Century, and perhaps beyond.
      It certainly will be if we keep this thread going. For me, RB's statementS provide clarity. First, he said others weren't in the gym "...when these things happened." Implies it wasn't an isolated incident. Then he said he was torn and decided to speak up after Marshall's statement, unable to stomach the lie. Not something that usually persuades you unless you witnessed more than a player telling you what happened off the court.
      But, let's let it go. Nothing we post will bring Marshall back; all we will achieve is keeping this alive for the rest of this century. We need a REAL game to talk about.

Comment

• Originally posted by trentoff9
        sorry but you hire the guy who has had to be somewhat complicit to the abuse he sat by and watched for the last 7 years!?

If Brown had any stones he would have walked instead of standing by and watching.
        Easy to say from the outside looking in. The world of coaching is a pretty tight fraternity and to go after a head coach is a good way to get blackballed from getting any further opportunities to coach at any other universities.

Comment

• I’m going to speculate and draw conclusions based on my foggy understanding of the minimal information and vague testimony available in a way that makes my opinion sound irrefutable. Then I’m going to tell others who don’t agree with my assessment they need to move on and stop talking about this.

Comment

sorry but you hire the guy who has had to be somewhat complicit to the abuse he sat by and watched for the last 7 years!?

If Brown had any stones he would have walked instead of standing by and watching.
            Or maybe he didn't see any physical abuse, because there was none?
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              But, let's let it go. Nothing we post will bring Marshall back; all we will achieve is keeping this alive for the rest of this century.
              I think the pursuit of truth is worthwhile.

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              We need a REAL game to talk about.
              Now THAT we can agree on!
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Needing something to sooth you after that spanking at the hands of Gonzaga yesterday?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Needing something to sooth you after that spanking at the hands of Gonzaga yesterday?
                  Yep. Radar is pinging a bit there.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post

Easy to say from the outside looking in. The world of coaching is a pretty tight fraternity and to go after a head coach is a good way to get blackballed from getting any further opportunities to coach at any other universities.
                    A good example of that is Steve Forbes. He took one in the shorts by standing by Bruce Pearl at Tennessee. That hurt him in the short-run but he has reconstituted his career very nicely since that time. Ironically, with a big assist from Gregg Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post

It was over 20 years ago that Steve Eck, as an assistant at UMKC, reported something his HC had done (don't remember exactly what). HC got fired and Eck never coached above the JuCo level ever again. Assistants DO NOT! rat out their boss to their boss's boss.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

It was over 20 years ago that Steve Eck, as an assistant at UMKC, reported something his HC had done (don't remember exactly what). HC got fired and Eck never coached above the JuCo level ever again. Assistants DO NOT! rat out their boss to their boss's boss.
                        maybe that's all true, but I'm not convinced that is why he was stuck at JuCo level.

Comment

• For anyone that thinks any person involved made the wrong decisions or mishandled the situation, put yourself in the shoes of the person you are criticizing and let us know what you would’ve done. Then we can all dissect your terrible decision and tell you how wrong you are. **** happened, **** is still happening and there’s not one thing we can do about it.

Comment

• Dan, that’s been the majority of the discussion in pontificating what many of us would do or what they should have done. I think most agree though that it was not handled correctly and now the program suffers, current players suffer, fans suffer, the Marshall family suffer (albeit not short term financially) Shaq suffers, relationships suffer, and boosters suffer. It is a mess that simply didn’t have to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                              Dan, that’s been the majority of the discussion in pontificating what many of us would do or what they should have done. I think most agree though that it was not handled correctly and now the program suffers, current players suffer, fans suffer, the Marshall family suffer (albeit not short term financially) Shaq suffers, relationships suffer, and boosters suffer. It is a mess that simply didn’t have to be.
                              I get it. It’s just easier said than done.

Comment

• There never was a way to handle it "correctly". There was never a way to "handle" it - let alone do it correctly. Try to fire Marshall "for cause" in 2015? Absolute total fan revolt. Try to tell Marshall he needs to straighten up his act and apologize to a player? I'm going to speculate that was suggested, but never happened.

Anybody remember The Incredible Hulk. The really nice, gentle-natured guy who everybody loved - until he got angry. "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry". AD probably didn't want to cross that line with Marshall.

There was one way to handle it. When Marshall went on job interviews and came back demanding a raise, let him go. Say it wasn't in the best interests of the athletic department to attempt to match the salary he was offered. The problem that was known is gone, and there's no buyout involved, Then go hire someone who wants to coach a team coming off some great NCAA runs. Probably lose some players and not win as many games the next year,but the smoldering issue in the locker room is gone. That would upset some boosters, but how upset are those guys now that they are forking up $7.75 million for Marshall to not coach the Shox.

In any business, you don't want incompetent or inexperienced people in critical positions. Sexton was incompetent. Boatright was inexperienced. Neither had the chops to handle the situation they found themselves in.
                                Last edited by Aargh; November 27, 2020, 08:27 PM.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X