Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

KU fans aren’t the sharpest knives in the drawers.
    I don't like KU fans, and I love it when we whoop their butts, but that statement is overly broad. Perhaps you should preface your comments with generally, most, almost all.........

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
      After digesting all of this here are my thoughts:
      Marshall claims he has never struck a player.
      Shaq says he was punched in the side of the head, and then again between the shoulder blades, both on the court.
      Ron said whatever happened was on the concourse and he didn’t see it, but Shaq says he was hit and several players saw it.

It is possible that Marshall punched Shaq. It’s also possible that Marshall only shoved Shaq. Both would jive with Ron’s story. What does not jive is the version of events as told by The Athletic and Stadium. What is also concerning is that ******* says 8 players saw it but Ron says it was more like 3. I suspect that the story grew and became unmanageable once Patty Cakes and ******* wanted to use it to ruin Marshall

I still believe Shaq was seeking payment for his story, but not from the media. I think he was looking for hush money.

Ron said Shaq lives in Wichita but is scared to go out in public. I think that is sad.

At first you say you believe in a made-up conspiracy theory to protect Gregg... then you write it is sad that Shaq is afraid to go out in public. Do you understand how your first statement is causing the second?

Furthermore, there is no point in nitpicking Shaq’s side of the story. Nobody besides Gregg has denied it. If it was made-up you would have had multiple people from the group deny it. Ron was careful to not describe the “on the court incident” in detail, but said it was bad enough to make him not want to play basketball the rest of the day. If you have seen Gregg in action - you have to assume it was pretty bad - the dude it relentless during practice. It would take a lot to stick out to the players.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
        Everything must come to an end and IMO, the Marshall period had run its course in Wichita.
        You were tired of having a 85%+ shot of going to the NCAA tourney every year?

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
          Nobody besides Gregg has denied it.
          Nobody has publicly said they saw it happen. And now we know that of the 7 anonymous players that saw it, one of them didn't see it. So now it's down to 6 that saw it, with Ron saying only a "few" saw it.

Originally posted by proshox View Post
          Ron was careful to not describe the “on the court incident” in detail, but said it was bad enough to make him not want to play basketball the rest of the day.
          He clearly said the _verbal_ aspect of it was what made it difficult. He was very clear. And then both Doug and Ron agreed that the verbal aspect of it, while hard, is not particularly a concern.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You were tired of having a 85%+ shot of going to the NCAA tourney every year?
            Yep, time to move on. These kind of stats are getting old and have ran their course.

IMG_20201126_093310.jpg

Comment

• I guess I have a different opinion than most of you. I don't think Coach Marshall should have been forced out due to 5 year old allegations which can't be proven to be true or false. I've been around Coach IB and he is a nice quiet guy. I don't remember him ever speaking to anyone unless he was asked a question. Marshall was a top 10 coach and a proven winner. I'm afraid the next couple of years are going to be tough. I hope I'm wrong.
              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                There's been some question about why this wasn't handled at the time it happened. Certainly someone in the athletic department knew what was going on and what happened. But what could anybody do in 2015?

Can't force Marshall to apologize or take anger management classes, or really anything. All Marshall had to do is say, "no". And that's the end of the discussion.

Here's the distribution of power in athletics in 2015.

Gregg Marshall: 100%
                Darren Boatright: 0%.

I believe the only choices Boatright had in 2015 were 1) Pretend it never happened and hope it doesn't come back to haunt him later - or - 2) Attempt to fire Marshall with cause.

How do you think attempting to fire Marshall in 2015 would have worked out? The answer to that question probably occurred to Boatright 5 years ago.
                Couple this with the scenario that if his predecessor had attempted to address the situation and was shown the door? I have been critical of some of Boatright’s action or inaction on some things and believe that is an “okay” AD. But in this instance, I can absolutely see that Boatright’s only plausible course of action was to move forward. As was recounted in the interview, the AThletic Department worked for Marshall.

Go Shocks!
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post

Even if WSU knew nothing, you also have to realize that it isn't just WSU deciding to fire with cause and it is over. UConn is still in a legal fight with their previous coach and their fire with cause. It could end up costing them more than the buy out.

If WSU would have fired with cause Marshall would have sued. Did WSU fell confident enough to prove their case in court? Baker actually didn't see Marshall strike him. Was there conflicting stories in the investigation? Was it a hit or push? Was it this or that?

Is it worth a 7.25 million dollar gamble?
                  Even if WSU had a slam dunk case, there is always some risk when you go into court. There were probably a lot of different factors that went into the settlement amount. I do wonder if the total went higher so that it could be spread out over as many years as it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                    I guess I have a different opinion than most of you. I don't think Coach Marshall should have been forced out due to 5 year old allegations which can't be proven to be true or false. I've been around Coach IB and he is a nice quiet guy. I don't remember him ever speaking to anyone unless he was asked a question. Marshall was a top 10 coach and a proven winner. I'm afraid the next couple of years are going to be tough. I hope I'm wrong.
                    I respect your perspective, and I hope lost rational people can accept your logic. It is rational. There is so much that is unknown or at best partly known, and none of it is first person.

Go Shocks!
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• By the way, happy thanksgiving to all of my shocker family here in the Shockernet support group. This year has been an absolute **** show for the most part but I realize there is still much to be thankful for. Stay safe everyone and gobble gobble!

Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Yep, time to move on. These kind of stats are getting old and have ran their course.

IMG_20201126_093310.jpg
                        Same crowd that expelled Stephenson and then disappeared from the stands when Todd Butler came crashing in.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                          As was recounted in the interview, the AThletic Department worked for Marshall.
                          I can easily see how that could be a tongue in cheek comment even if it is true that MBB is the most important arm of the dept.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Same crowd that expelled Stephenson and then disappeared from the stands when Todd Butler came crashing in.
                            Indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

At first you say you believe in a made-up conspiracy theory to protect Gregg... then you write it is sad that Shaq is afraid to go out in public. Do you understand how your first statement is causing the second?

Furthermore, there is no point in nitpicking Shaq’s side of the story. Nobody besides Gregg has denied it. If it was made-up you would have had multiple people from the group deny it. Ron was careful to not describe the “on the court incident” in detail, but said it was bad enough to make him not want to play basketball the rest of the day. If you have seen Gregg in action - you have to assume it was pretty bad - the dude it relentless during practice. It would take a lot to stick out to the players.
                              Just because my feelings towards the situation are one way doesn’t mean I would shame or confront Shaq if I saw him. Culture today says otherwise, and people are encouraged to cause a scene if they see someone who has different beliefs than they do, but I don’t subscribe to that nonsense.

Also, Ron said he didn’t see Marshall hit Shaq, because whatever happened took place on the concourse.

I am very careful to say that all options are possible. There is a very strong likelihood that all stories fit together somehow.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• What a SCREWED UP MESS.

And the sadist part, in addition to the life long memories and reputations of those involved, and this UNIVERSITY, is that this will always remain a part of our Sports History for the rest of this Century, and perhaps beyond.

Comment

Working...
                                X