No announcement yet.

Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I enjoyed the run and after all the bad basketball in the 90's and early 2000's, that final four was pretty special. This turned into a Booby Knight situation, where Marshall got to powerful for his own good, combined with a temperament that couldn't handle that level of power responsibly. I think their is enough examples of his anger going off, that we don't need film footage to prove everything. It was a good run while it lasted, but sometimes the PR nightmare and the decision to stop a situation that had gotten out of control is too great to keep the status quo going.

Comment

• I keep seeing the phrase "publicly confirmed" thrown around.

All you need to know about the situation is that both sides were willing to give up 7.5 million dollars (plus all the ongoing money past that) in order to make sure what was found in the investigation never gets "publicly confirmed".

That tells me that they not only confirmed the allegations but there was other stuff in there too.

Thank you coach ... But its time to move on. His flaws finally caught up to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

With all due respect, there is zero chance any players "turned their backs" or were asked to "turn their backs" so as not to see abuse. That's complete conspiracy theory bullcaca.
        With all due respect, you would be 100% wrong then. As a WSU grad and a life long Shocker fan, I say this not to attack but to give you some clarity, to let go & try to find some untiy. All I can do is tell what I witnessed at a practice, (a different event than Shaq 's). Around 30 witnessed this, if any dared to report, it obviously never came out. And yes, the scrimmage stopped and everyone (including Baker & FVV) did turn their backs and became absolutely quiet. Never went to another practice or game after that, but I will again. Our women's coach was investigated & cleared then, but 18 months later fired for more abuse & now Marshall. Of course attacking any who report can run posters off or silence them but doesn't change the facts. Baker was right this needs to be accepted and bring back unity rather than Fan Angry divisiveness. Coaches are people and can both be a great winning coach and have anger control issues.

Comment

• Listened to the Ron broadcast. His narrative doesn’t change my belief that it should have been reported privately at the time rather than in public 5 years later. Sounded self serving to me.

Paraphrase: let’s not report it at the time, get through it, not upset the apple cart because we have a great program /team and a lot of players are headed to the pros.

As a leader of the team, Ron could have gone to the AD and stated what Gregg did was wrong, it needs to be addressed, Gregg needs to apologize and he needs to be put on a tight leash and further occurrence and they will go to the media.

Waiting 5 years later, and then trying to justify the wait sounded selfish to me.

if putting your hands on a player is wrong “under any circumstances” then what does that say about the team who didn’t do anything to assuage Greggs’s behavior but instead comes forth 5 years later to defend Shaq and “provide clarity?”

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post
            I enjoyed the run and after all the bad basketball in the 90's and early 2000's, that final four was pretty special. This turned into a Booby Knight situation, where Marshall got to powerful for his own good, combined with a temperament that couldn't handle that level of power responsibly. I think their is enough examples of his anger going off, that we don't need film footage to prove everything. It was a good run while it lasted, but sometimes the PR nightmare and the decision to stop a situation that had gotten out of control is too great to keep the status quo going.
            Just like Indiana did after Coach Knight?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Same crowd that expelled Stephenson and then disappeared from the stands when Todd Butler came crashing in.
              They didn't disappear. They could be found over at the soccer field.

Comment

• Everybody draws the line in a different place.

Comment

• Originally posted by trentoff9
                  https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...247424395.html

Ron Baker has ended his silence on the situation that ultimately led Gregg Marshall to resign as head coach of the Wichita State men’s basketball team.

In a wide-ranging, hour-long interview on Doug Gottlieb’s podcast released Wednesday, it was clear Baker still has gratitude toward Marshall but was disappointed by how his former coach handled the accusations of physical abuse.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                    As a leader of the team, Ron could have gone to the AD and stated what Gregg did was wrong,
                    How do you think that would have worked out for Ron?

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                    it needs to be addressed, Gregg needs to apologize and he needs to be put on a tight leash and further occurrence and they will go to the media.
                    Why would Marshall agree to any of that? Simple answer, he wouldn't. All that would have come from that is to put Baker DEEP in Marshall's doghouse and show Sextion who's really in charge - and it wasn't Sexton.

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                    Waiting 5 years later, and then trying to justify the wait sounded selfish to me.
                    Erik Stevenson and his dad were everywhere on social media and Erik was looking for others to help him take Marshall down. He and Shaq found each other and Stevenson let Shaq take the heat. Once there were two, then more came forward. Nobody wanted to be "the guy" until there was some backup from other players.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

No doubt UT can sign a blank check, but marshall came to WSU because he liked the fan support as much as anything else. Would never get that here in Austin.
                      I respectfully disagree - but let me know if you have firsthand info otherwise.

Marshall came to WSU because he liked the fan support because it would fuel winning and resources. Marshall would have gone to Texas for the resources that would have fueled winning and resources at the national level... and in Austin that means fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

And that's a troubling aspect of this. Shaq described something quite different than Baker.
                        Without passing final judgment - which is impossible at this point - I don't give a *** whether Shaq was helping him up or not. If you played, you don't give a **** **** if someone undercut you or otherwise endangered your athletic future with lazy play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

How do you think that would have worked out for Ron?

Why would Marshall agree to any of that? Simple answer, he wouldn't. All that would have come from that is to put Baker DEEP in Marshall's doghouse and show Sextion who's really in charge - and it wasn't Sexton.

Erik Stevenson and his dad were everywhere on social media and Erik was looking for others to help him take Marshall down. He and Shaq found each other and Stevenson let Shaq take the heat. Once there were two, then more came forward. Nobody wanted to be "the guy" until there was some backup from other players.
                          If he cared about the coach and program, which I think he did and does, he AND the team could have addressed it privately. Somethings need to be handled privately at the time and not in a public arena 5 years later. The rationale given for not coming forward at the time comes across as self-serving to me. He sacrifices this years team but not his team???

We’ll never know if it could have come out differently, but it was worth a try in my opinion.

By the way, it will take a hell of a hire to mend the fence with and between fans. Not good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

Without passing final judgment - which is impossible at this point - I don't give a *** whether Shaq was helping him up or not. If you played, you don't give a **** **** if someone undercut you or otherwise endangered your athletic future with lazy play.
                            So true.
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

As a leader of the team, Ron could have gone to the AD and stated what Gregg did was wrong, it needs to be addressed, Gregg needs to apologize and he needs to be put on a tight leash and further occurrence and they will go to the media.
                              The above reminded me of something I read in an article when Boatright became AD. It was from January 2016 and is here - https://thesunflower.com/4148/news/b...etic-director/ - and I remember this part from it:

Boatright attends team practices and games, along with conversing with the coaches and student athletes.

“Mr. Boatright is a great role model for all student-athletes at WSU,” said men’s basketball player Ron Baker. “He enjoys helping the student-athletes first.”
                              I wonder if Ron actually did talk about it back then with Boatright or didn't and his quote above didn't age well.

Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• While going back and finding the article from The Sunflower in my other post, I ran across this article from there a couple days ago -

Title - ‘The whole thing’s a surprise:’ Boatright discusses transitional phase for the basketball program (Sean Marty, Sports Editor|November 24, 2020)
                                Link - https://thesunflower.com/53557/sport...tball-program/

Lots of information from it and I'll put a link to it in the 20-21 Season thread as well, but the title comes from this part:

Wichita State Director of Athletics Darron Boatright discussed this crucial time for the basketball program and all the new changes in an interview with The Sunflower Tuesday.

Boatright said that Marshall’s resignation and the events leading up to it came as a surprise to him.

“I’m not really going to get into [the situation] but the whole thing’s a surprise and not something you ever want to be a part of,” Boatright said. “It just came down to it and we had to go through that process and this is the result. The whole thing’s been a surprise.”
                                Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; November 27, 2020, 11:16 AM. Reason: edited to put the quote in a qoute box
                                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Working...
                                X