Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post
    Was Randy Smithson a tough coach?
    From what I've heard he had a substance abuse problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

and a losing problem

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
        Why is it acceptable for a player who INTENTIONALLY commits a hard foul that could
        and sometimes does injure another player just get ejected a game while a coach who
        slaps or "punches" a player not resulting in any injury get his career ruined?
        Are we sure Shaq intentionally committed a hard foul? We’ve all seen Shaq play a hundred games and commit hundreds of fouls. That dude could cluelessly bowl over 5 guys trying to get a rebound and be surprised they called a foul on him.

It wouldn’t be all that surprising if GM was just tired of Shaq’s lack of body control & discipline/committing 30 fouls a practice and said ”hell nah”.
        Last edited by shockersx; November 16, 2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post
          In my case, when I headbutted my friend it was because we used to do that when we played football together as kids (and thats how we celebrated). If you didn't know us and you saw us fooling around, you'd be arguing I should be fired.
          It really IS Stunning Steve Austin!
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

and

Wichita State basketball coach Randy Smithson was publicly reprimanded by the university Tuesday for berating his players and violating NCAA practice rules.

The school’s investigation of the basketball team stemmed from a dispute involving star player Maurice Evans. Evans, angered by Smithson’s conduct, briefly quit the team and said other players considered doing so as well.

The university announced the reprimand, and other disciplinary measures, in hopes of avoiding sterner NCAA action.

Comment

• The way this has lethargically moved since the report was released to WSU, I’m under the impression that Gregg will stay on and he is working with the lawyers and AD on damage control, and preparing for either litigation from SM (if it’s not too late), or how to spin it for the fans and media. Involved could be an ultimatum to resign or be faced with a new contract which could take some time to decide and work out various details.

it makes no sense that if he were to be fired, it wouldn’t have happened already. The report probably uncovered some negative actions and verbal abuse but perhaps not as egregious as the report initially surfaced. If the report substantiated SM’s charge, I’d think they would have fired him immediately for cause and worked out any separation package separately which could take months.

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post
                The point is... Many of you are reaching at straws to define acts you didn't see and have NO CLUE what context they make have been wrapped in (or if they even happened at all). In my case, when I headbutted my friend it was because we used to do that when we played football together as kids (and thats how we celebrated). If you didn't know us and you saw us fooling around, you'd be arguing I should be fired.
                I'd fire you just for being a dumbazz

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                  The way this has lethargically moved since the report was released to WSU, I’m under the impression that Gregg will stay on and he is working with the lawyers and AD on damage control, and preparing for either litigation from SM (if it’s not too late), or how to spin it for the fans and media. Involved could be an ultimatum to resign or be faced with a new contract which could take some time to decide and work out various details.

it makes no sense that if he were to be fired, it wouldn’t have happened already. The report probably uncovered some negative actions and verbal abuse but perhaps not as egregious as the report initially surfaced. If the report substantiated SM’s charge, I’d think they would have fired him immediately for cause and worked out any separation package separately which could take months.
                  Seriously, if you think you have cause, you just fire him and let him come after you in court to prove otherwise. Makes you wonder if he's staying

Comment

• Good News I'm looking at your profile pic and wondering what we should do to the X Man to try and ruin his life. I know it was a long time ago but he's seriously choking that dude. I also saw a pic of him head butting Michael Jordan. AC would probably claim verbal abuse from him also.

I wonder what X thinks of all these pansy's - yes I'm talking to you Shaq & Eric

Comment

Ralph Miller had a reputation as a very tough coach. He won a whole lot of games and he was not liked by a good number of people until he stopped coaching.
                      Gene Smithson had a reputation as a very tough coach. He won a whole lot of games and he was not liked by a good number of people until after coaching.
                      Gregg Marshall had a reputation as a very tough coach. He won a whole lot of games and he was not liked by a good number of people.
                      Scott Thompson had a reputation as a nice coach. He didn't win very many games but he was liked by a good number of people.
                      Gary Thompson had a reputation as a nice coach. He didn't win very many games but he was liked by a good number of people.

Anyone see a pattern here. A lot of coaches who win aren't well liked until after their career.
                      HCGM is well liked by A LOT of folks, as evidenced by the support he has in the community and on this board.

Ralph Miller has a banner hanging from the rafters.

You’re painting with a HUGE brush stroke here.

I recognize the point you’re trying to make but I’m not sure it’s actually true. In real life, there isn’t always a inverse relationship between being tough and being popular.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                        The way this has lethargically moved since the report was released to WSU, I’m under the impression that Gregg will stay on and he is working with the lawyers and AD on damage control, and preparing for either litigation from SM (if it’s not too late), or how to spin it for the fans and media. Involved could be an ultimatum to resign or be faced with a new contract which could take some time to decide and work out various details.

I'm not sure what the report will uncover. I think it is likely that he punched Shaq based on the number of people who have confirmed the story, especially to The Eagle. I am starting to think the longer this is drawn out, the more likely he is to survive. The Norlander theory about lawyers getting involved doesn't make sense, because that's what court is for. If WSU wants to fire, and Marshall is wanting money, it doesn't seem likely either side will be happy to negotiate, and the courts are there for that settlement to be reached. I can't imagine the university is trying to extend this fight with the season starting next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

I'm not sure what the report will uncover. I think it is likely that he punched Shaq based on the number of people who have confirmed the story, especially to The Eagle. I am starting to think the longer this is drawn out, the more likely he is to survive. The Norlander theory about lawyers getting involved doesn't make sense, because that's what court is for. If WSU wants to fire, and Marshall is wanting money, it doesn't seem likely either side will be happy to negotiate, and the courts are there for that settlement to be reached. I can't imagine the university is trying to extend this fight with the season starting next week.
                          I have no doubt that something happened after Shaq was tangled with that other player. Perhaps Shaq thought he was punched in the aftermath. I have no doubt he felt something.
                          However, short of having video replay, we have no idea there was a punch. I'm sure some other players saw a reaction to something. This is a physical sport and bodies are flying around at all times.
                          There needs to be some form of proof beyond 6 years old "fish stories," especially if you're going to ruin the adult in this scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Seriously, if you think you have cause, you just fire him and let him come after you in court to prove otherwise. Makes you wonder if he's staying
                            Kinda my thinking. If you can fire him for cause, then it should be pretty easy to determine that. If you can't determine whether he should be fired for cause, then you should probably give him the benefit of the doubt and move forward with the understand that he needs to stop skirting the line.
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• If they already made the decision to fire him and they are working on a negotiated settlement, why are they not making it public and moving on with a coaching search or naming IB as interim HC for this season? Why would they want to have this go on for a month? Why would they leave everyone hanging, including the players about what the future of the program is? Again, if it's clear cut fireable, then why negotiate at all? Just to be nice and smooth it over with boosters and donors?

Another theory that I think is happening, is that they DON't have cause to fire him, but they don't want to retain him because even if the actions don't arise to the level of termination, they look bad. The *******'s of the world will tar and feather the university for not cutting him loose. And they don't have the balls to circle the wagons and tell everyone else outside the Shocker community to go pound sand.

Again, I don't know what's in that report, but I'm waiting on the report to know exactly whether he should be gone or not.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Anything is possible. I do think there is indicator - Practice. If each day the practice report is:

a. He is at practice - then the probability is that he is staying.
                                b. He is not at practice - then the probability is that is not staying.

Hopefully the media each day will report if there is or is not a Marshall sighting.

Comment

Working...
                                X