Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I'm not that old. I understand they said it was racist. But why is it racist?
    I took it more as a class thing, that maybe poorer people eat PB&Js instead of their more wealthy counterparts eating ham and turkey. My dad took one to work almost every day for 30 years. (We were lower middle-class, I suppose.)

All I know is I could go for a PB&J for lunch today.

Comment

I'm not that old. I understand they said it was racist. But why is it racist?
      Raised by their grandmas...
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Well if you're too ignorant to know if something is racist, you must be racist?

Comment

• My question: In one of articles Shaq stated that something happened which prompted him to eventually air his story. What in the heck happened last year? Did he hear about something with the current team? Did he have a personal awakening? Did HCGM do something personally to effect whether a pro team was willing to take a chance on Shaq?

I have no idea what it could be, but it is the detail I keep coming back to.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I took it more as a class thing, that maybe poorer people eat PB&Js instead of their more wealthy counterparts eating ham and turkey. My dad took one to work almost every day for 30 years. (We were lower middle-class, I suppose.)

All I know is I could go for a PB&J for lunch today.
            ......... I'm a racist for eating a PB&J? And they teach that in Portland schools? (I wish you guys could see the look on my face) JFC

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
              Well if you're too ignorant to know if something is racist, you must be racist?
              LOL. I guess

Comment

......... I'm a racist for eating a PB&J? And they teach that in Portland schools? (I wish you guys could see the look on my face) JFC
                I think you may have quoted the wrong post.

I'm saying you (and I) are engaging in classist appropriation.

Comment

• wichshock65 You are being willfuly obtuse. The context in the quote was that the black kids were raised by their grandmothers (read not parents) and poor. The PB&J is a throwaway part of the comment.

Fwiw, My kid would eat PB&J every day if I let her. But I don't want her to be racist.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I think you may have quoted the wrong post.

I'm saying you (and I) are engaging in classist appropriation.
                    You were the right one Royal. I was/am in shock and only rhetorical questions. Not directed at you at all. It's just absolutely crazy what gets turned into racism nowadays. We'll never look at a peanut butter and jelly sandwich the same again. LOL

Comment

• A couple things -

- I've been seeing a lot of web sites talking about Marshall's actions in Canada. I'm surprised ******* didn't mention it in his article. Heck all he would have to do is link to his own article about it at https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ame-ref-tirade :) But he probably didn't mention it because his article about it provides context about what was happening in the game. Nurger received a concussion and there were other issues. Basically Marshall wasn't happy with how the scrimmage was going. ******* mentioning in his current article would provide an indication of why Marshall reacted when Morris fouled Brown. If you look at the Shocker Madness thread, Brown was held out of the Shocker Madness scrimmage that night, which may be because the foul from practice was rather rough.

- I think the take from *******, Hamilton, and others, that the opinions of players prior to 2015 isn't valid is mainly to control the narrative. In a way it's rather stupid of them to do that because as the article about Morris and Marshall states - https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...5373009.html

"In less than two months of games, Marshall was already fed up with Morris' time on campus.

Morris was redshirting during the 2013-14 season, but had drawn the ire of his coach with his practice habits."

So the opinions of players from 13-14 and 14-15 are valid since Morris and Marshall had a relationship those years. What players on those teams say is relevant, there may have even been issues those years as well. To try to silence them usually points to trying to only allow things that fits ones side of the story.

Edited to add - there is an article on Morris in the Atlantic from 2018. I don't have a subscription to it, so I'm not sure if it has anything relevant. The link to it is https://theathletic.com/213611/2018/...ble-backstory/
                      Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; October 13, 2020, 11:45 AM.
                      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                        A couple things -

- I've been seeing a lot of web sites talking about Marshall's actions in Canada. I'm surprised ******* didn't mention it in his article. Heck all he would have to do is link to his own article about it at https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ame-ref-tirade :) But he probably didn't mention it because his article about it provides context about what was happening in the game. Nurger received a concussion and there were other issues. Basically Marshall wasn't happy with how the scrimmage was going. ******* mentioning in his current article would provide an indication of why Marshall reacted when Morris fouled Brown. If you look at the Shocker Madness thread, Brown was held out of the Shocker Madness scrimmage that night, which may be because the foul from practice was rather rough.

- I think the take from *******, Hamilton, and others, that the opinions of players prior to 2015 isn't valid is mainly to control the narrative. In a way it's rather stupid of them to do that because as the article about Morris and Marshall states - https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...5373009.html

"In less than two months of games, Marshall was already fed up with Morris' time on campus.

Morris was redshirting during the 2013-14 season, but had drawn the ire of his coach with his practice habits."

So the opinions of players from 13-14 and 14-15 are valid since Morris and Marshall had a relationship those years. What players on those teams say is relevant, there may have even been issues those years as well. To try to silence them usually points to trying to only allow things that fits ones side of the story.

Edited to add - there is an article on Morris in the Atlantic from 2018. I don't have a subscription to it, so I'm not sure if it has anything relevant. The link to it is https://theathletic.com/213611/2018/...ble-backstory/
                        “I saw Coach Marshall change a lot in his years dealing with Shaq, more so than any other player I’ve seen in my years there,” VanVleet says. “Coach is kind of one way, and he doesn’t change. You’re either getting in his way, or if you don’t, you don’t make it. I think he realized the talent Shaq had and he babied Shaq quite a bit, because he had to. He didn’t want to lose him. He didn’t want to break him, but there were really, really low points for both of those guys where they were at in their growth with each other. I’m sure there was a few times where Shaq was on the verge of not being there anymore.”

Morris agrees. It was almost an annual occurrence. He would meet with Marshall after the season, and the threat was there: Oh, you might be gone. In the end, Marshall would decide to stick with him. “He’s never stopped coaching me,” Morris says. “He’s had times where he’s wanted to stop. But I’ve been here for five years. He’s always stuck with it.”

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                          At worst-
                          “I’ve only had to punch one player. He had 60lbs on the kid that was driving and bodied him up for a hard foul after being warned multiple times to cool off. I walloped him upside the head and shoved him out of practice. I learned my lesson there- better to ship a player out than feel like that is what it takes to get through to them. That’s a large part of the reason we have more transfers than anywhere else. If it’s not a culture fit, if you don’t like how tough it is at WSU, the transfer portal is always open. I don’t like losing men, but I will not lose a team. Other teams can have the burger boys, I’ll take the hard nosed pb&j boys that can scrap.”

something like that.

Response:
                          That’s racist!

Come on, can't we get past the "RACIST" calls.
                          Tired of it in politics.
                          Tired of it here.
                          Gregg Marshall has coached hundreds of black kids, gone into their parent's houses and sold them on him as a man who will leave no stone unturned to turn them into the best basketball player they can be and the best man they can be. Hundreds of black parents have let their kids sign with him.
                          He has done EXACTLY what he promised to do, turn them into the best basketball players they can be and turned them into fine young men.
                          Stop already with the "RACIST" talk.
                          Must be a Biden voter.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
                            Originally posted by shock View Post
                            At worst-
                            “I’ve only had to punch one player. He had 60lbs on the kid that was driving and bodied him up for a hard foul after being warned multiple times to cool off. I walloped him upside the head and shoved him out of practice. I learned my lesson there- better to ship a player out than feel like that is what it takes to get through to them. That’s a large part of the reason we have more transfers than anywhere else. If it’s not a culture fit, if you don’t like how tough it is at WSU, the transfer portal is always open. I don’t like losing men, but I will not lose a team. Other teams can have the burger boys, I’ll take the hard nosed pb&j boys that can scrap.”

something like that.

Response:
                            That’s racist!

Tired of it in politics.
                            Tired of it here.
                            Gregg Marshall has coached hundreds of black kids, gone into their parent's houses and sold them on him as a man who will leave no stone unturned to turn them into the best basketball player they can be and the best man they can be. Hundreds of black parents have let their kids sign with him.
                            He has done EXACTLY what he promised to do, turn them into the best basketball players they can be and turned them into fine young men.
                            Must be a Biden voter.
                            Check your meter. It was a joke. And I can promise your assumption of how I will vote is entirely incorrect. I don’t in any way, shape, or form believe that Marshall is racist; nor do I believe the alleged comment he made was racist.
                            Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
                              Originally posted by shock View Post
                              At worst-

something like that.

Response:
                              That’s racist!

Tired of it in politics.
                              Tired of it here.
                              Must be a Biden voter.
                              I’ll take the hard nosed pb&j boys that can scrap
                              or perhaps that means he wants the "Lunch pail" blue collar kind of kids. But then again, I'm probably racist cause I can't spot racism.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Raised by their grandmas...
                                Why is being raised by your Grandma racist? I know of several grandparents who are raising their grandchildren and I never once have thought about it as a race thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X