Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

You have to understand, donations don't necessarily come in because of the basketball team...there are other reasons, as well, for which those donations are made. And, donations to the athletic department don't necessarily filter down to the various colleges/schools/departments. There are a lot of variables that even the numbers from any set of years would be hard to prove as to how they relate to specific departments. There have been MANY areas within the university that have had to cut staff in the last few years and have seen budget lines disappear. If a faculty member retired, no replacement was put into those budget lines. There are faculty now who fear retiring as they know that lines won't be filled and that the money will disappear from their colleges. And this is in the years since the NCAA success and before Covid.
    Obviously, there are many variables and obviously, it’s impossible to know whether or how many donations are because of great national athletic publicity. However, for you to totally discount that there is a correlation is simply ridiculous, beyond common sense, and shows either a lack of emotional integrity, bias, or lack of intelligence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Obviously, there are many variables and obviously, it’s impossible to know whether or how many donations are because of great national athletic publicity. However, for you to totally discount that there is a correlation is simply ridiculous, beyond common sense, and shows either a lack of emotional integrity, bias, or lack of intelligence.
      Where did I "totally discount" there was a correlation? never did anything of the sort. Talk about emotional integrity, bias, and lack of intelligence....Wow. Re-read my posts and show me where I "totally discounted" the influence. I'm saying, however, that the amount that is passed down from the athletic department to the other colleges is not what you might think. I am also disputing the claim that was made earlier, even in jest, that there are some faculty members that wouldn't be at the university if it weren't for the success of Marshall (and I am a HUGE fan of his). And, as we have read here before, there is much in the athletic department that is actually completely separate from the university.

Comment

Where did I "totally discount" there was a correlation? never did anything of the sort. Talk about emotional integrity, bias, and lack of intelligence....Wow. Re-read my posts and show me where I "totally discounted" the influence. I'm saying, however, that the amount that is passed down from the athletic department to the other colleges is not what you might think. I am also disputing the claim that was made earlier, even in jest, that there are some faculty members that wouldn't be at the university if it weren't for the success of Marshall (and I am a HUGE fan of his). And, as we have read here before, there is much in the athletic department that is actually completely separate from the university.
        Fair point. However, most of the Liberal Arts and Fine Arts programs are bleeding enrollment. Hence the fight last year on required electives. In other words, the College of Engineering, Barton School of Business and Innovation Campus are swallowing up their standing on campus. So when someone screams “look at me, we have an injustice” it makes you wonder if attempting to stay relative is part of their motive.
        Last edited by shoxlax; October 18, 2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Fair point. However, most of the Liberal Arts and Fine Arts programs aren’t bleeding enrollment. Hence the fight last year on required electives. In other words, the College of Engineering, Barton School of Business and Innovation Campus are swallowing up their standing on campus. So when someone screams “look at me, we have an injustice” it makes you wonder if attempting to stay relative is part of their motive.
          I agree—always question and evaluate the source. I actually wonder how many faculty members are complaining—not many were listed in the article—very few, actually. But, if a history teacher DID commit one of these “alleged offenses”, there wouldn’t be much mercy coming during the investigation. On a side note—that credit hour discussion and the changes NEEDED to happen. The BOR was requiring degrees to come in at no more than 120 hours, with rare exceptions. Some degrees were being forced to leave out things that were basic in order to make room for all the gen ed requirements. The discussions brought a long overdue change.

Comment

• Does Teacher John Doe in this hypothetical situation have a $15 million dollar buyout that was negotiated after the teacher brought in unprecedented national attention to the university?

I really don’t care to hear the opinion of many WSU faculty in this situation, least of all from LAS faculty who have other colleges to thank for their over-inflated paychecks. Not to mention, they’re not really even paid from the same pool of money that Gregg is, so what do they care?
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

if a history teacher DID commit one of these “alleged offenses”, there wouldn’t be much mercy coming during the investigation.
              The result of your example is that no one would have known about the alleged offenses, except possibly for a few students of that History or Sociology Teacher. The Sociology teacher should have kept his mouth closed. He isn’t relevant no matter how much he wishes to be. Most Sociology Majors go into obscurity after they graduate because there aren’t many jobs to support them. I don’t know all of the particulars about WSU Sociology, but Hayton may very well be lucky to have a job.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Shockm;n1255399]

The result of your example is that no one would have known about the alleged offenses, except possibly for a few students of that History or Sociology Teacher. The Sociology teacher should have kept his mouth closed. He isn’t relevant no matter how much he wishes to be. Most Sociology Majors go into obscurity after they graduate because there aren’t many jobs to support them. I don’t know all of the particulars about WSU Sociology, but Hayton may very well be lucky to have a job.[/QUOTE

Whether it is a sociology teacher or if sociologists have jobs is also irrelevant. But if any teacher did the things Marshall is alleged to have done, it would be known in the Sunflower and Eagle very quick—a lot faster than it has taken for any of this to come to light to this point (if it is even legitimate). Word moves VERY fast on campus between students.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

I thought the investigation was supposed to end either last week or this week?
                  It takes awhile to work out a separation agreement for someone making $3.5m, or they are putting together enough doubt and support whereas the school is not vulnerable to a large lawsuit. Take your pick.

If the allegations are substantiated, he will be fired for cause or they could say the AD department knew about it and addressed it years ago thereby letting Marshall off the hook. They then still need to protect the school from potential lawsuits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                    So, Mr. Hayton would be fine being suspended and his reputation ruined if I randomly called in the the university and say he abused me and that I wanted to remain anonymous?

I mean, he wouldn’t not want the university to take my allegations seriously, right?!

What did Hayton mean with his comment

“The fact that WSU won’t take a principled stand against physical and verbal abuse is yet another black mark on this institution’s reputation.”

Looks ike a biased comment to me.

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• If Hayton doesn’t like his employer or his job he is certainly free to move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Fair point. However, most of the Liberal Arts and Fine Arts programs are bleeding enrollment. Hence the fight last year on required electives. In other words, the College of Enot ngineering, Barton School of Business and Innovation Campus are swallowing up their standing on campus. So when someone screams “look at me, we have an injustice” it makes you wonder if attempting to stay relative is part of their motive.
                        I’m sorry, I should’ve added, the fine arts college is not bleeding enrollment. In fact, their numbers are up and have been for a few years.

Comment

Whether it is a sociology teacher or if sociologists have jobs is also irrelevant. But if any teacher did the things Marshall is alleged to have done, it would be known in the Sunflower and Eagle very quick—a lot faster than it has taken for any of this to come to light to this point (if it is even legitimate). Word moves VERY fast on campus between students.
                          Bull!
                          I have no proof but I’d venture a guess that sexual harassment, and other indiscretions of different kinds between staff and students, and staff and graduate student staff that we never hear about. I’m not saying it happens often but I wouldn’t be surprised if a number of complaints against WSU personnel have occurred in the past 25 years or so that we’ve never heard of in a newspaper. Settlements are made, people are disciplined, people move, and life goes on. I’ve personally seen the scenario I just laid out in public education once, and business a couple of times. I only heard about them from individuals who were involved. No publicity. No muss, no fuss. Mostly just rumors. We hear mostly about it when complaints are brought to the police and the police bring charges but not all cases bring arrests.
                          Last edited by Shockm; October 18, 2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Bull!
                            I have no proof but I’d venture a guess that sexual harassment, and other indiscretions of different kinds between staff and students, and staff and graduate student staff that we never hear about. I’m not saying it happens often but I wouldn’t be surprised if a number of complaints against WSU personnel have occurred in the past 25 years or so that we’ve never heard of in a newspaper. Settlements are made, people are disciplined, people move, and life goes on. I’ve personally seen the scenario I just laid out in public education once, and business a couple of times. I only heard about them from individuals who were involved. No publicity. No muss, no fuss. Mostly just rumors. We hear mostly about it when complaints are brought to the police and the police bring charges but not all cases bring arrests.
                            But this isn’t a simple one on one sexual Harassment case. This is a multiple witnesses alleged situation. If that kind of thing happened in a classroom or out in the open or in a rehearsal or something like that, word would spread like wild fire. This is true even more now than ever.

Comment

• Does anyone know what "yet another black mark on this institution’s reputation" is supposed to mean? Is there a stack of black marks with which I am not familiar and if so, what are they?

And why is the world isn't the author of this comment not challenged on that statement?
                              Last edited by Kung Wu; October 19, 2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• An employer normally suspends an employee while an investigation is done in circumstances where the allegation involves recent conduct, and there is a need to keep the accused and the accuser apart until it gets sorted out. This is an allegation that Is five years old, and the accuser(s) are nowhere in the vicinity. Hard to see why a suspension would be warranted.

Comment

Working...
                                X