2020-21 Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

What on earth are you talking about? The last time we had single losing season was 07-08? Where are you getting back to back to back losing seasons?

You also realize that A) bracketology is pretty much a joke even fairly deep into the season, but is absolutely a joke over the summer and B) represents the opinion of a single bracketologist, not the views of the entire national media, right?
    I believe ole Shacktackles was using sarcasm...
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

What on earth are you talking about? The last time we had single losing season was 07-08? Where are you getting back to back to back losing seasons?

You also realize that A) bracketology is pretty much a joke even fairly deep into the season, but is absolutely a joke over the summer and B) represents the opinion of a single bracketologist, not the views of the entire national media, right?
      I am sorry Mad Hatter I was trying to be sarcastic and it didn't come off right. My Bad. But your right we haven't had any losing seasons but the national media sure seems to treat us like we have. The Shickers get no respect.

Comment

• the shockers are annually in the top of the conference and almost annually in the tourney, yet we have to prove it over the course of the season year after year. Meanwhile, teams like Memphis get the benefit of doubt just because they sign a few 5 star kids that aren't ready and have a coach that hasn't really done anything. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          the shockers are annually in the top of the conference and almost annually in the tourney, yet we have to prove it over the course of the season year after year. Meanwhile, teams like Memphis get the benefit of doubt just because they sign a few 5 star kids that aren't ready and have a coach that hasn't really done anything. Makes perfect sense.
          And another example of bias is for WSU to sign a consensus top 150 player like Kenny Pohto and have him magically drop 50 spots without no explanation. Really? You can't tell me if KP had followed Pitino to New Mexico he would have dropped 50 spots in the rankings. Or if he would have signed with Utah,Ohio State , or SMU he would have dropped.

There is some bias against Wichita State in national media and if people can't see it then they are just blind. Go Shocks.

Comment

• I actually don't mind this. I'd rather fly under the radar. We know who this team is and what they are capable of. Let the others make their noise...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
              The new June update for bracketology is out. Wichita State is no where to be found. Yeah we think highly of the shockers and the recruiting by Coach Brown, but nobody else does. The shocker basketball players and fans will just have to accept its low status. Shocker basketball is just not what it use to be. Having back to back to back losing seasons can ruin a program. Our program is collapsing and the national media experts are in agreement.
              Could I talk you into explaining what in the hell you are talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                the shockers are annually in the top of the conference and almost annually in the tourney, yet we have to prove it over the course of the season year after year. Meanwhile, teams like Memphis get the benefit of doubt just because they sign a few 5 star kids that aren't ready and have a coach that hasn't really done anything. Makes perfect sense.
                I don’t see how Memphis has gotten any benefit of the doubt considering they haven’t made the tourney since at least before we joined the conference. I’ll take being in the March bracketology over the June bracketology any day.

Comment

And another example of bias is for WSU to sign a consensus top 150 player like Kenny Pohto and have him magically drop 50 spots without no explanation. Really? You can't tell me if KP had followed Pitino to New Mexico he would have dropped 50 spots in the rankings. Or if he would have signed with Utah,Ohio State , or SMU he would have dropped.

There is some bias against Wichita State in national media and if people can't see it then they are just blind. Go Shocks.
                  Once we sign him what difference does it make? His ranking dropping or improving has zero effect on how he will play next year or over his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Once we sign him what difference does it make? His ranking dropping or improving has zero effect on how he will play next year or over his career.
                    100%!!! But sometimes I wonder if the drop in rank affects the ego and maybe even the confidence of the player their first year at college. But way more importantly however is how other recruits view that drop in ranking if they even pay any attention to that (which I bet they do). In other words...if other Top-150 kids see how that works...do they have second thoughts in signing with the Shocks as opposed to signing at another school that doesn't get that drop in player ranking??? I wonder.....
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I think it does make some difference, even if it's a small one. Drop 2 or 3 kids by 50 points and it could potentially drop your recruiting class similarly, say from top 100 nationally to 150. Bracketology and top 25 rankings drop accordingly. Could be what preseason would be considered a bubble team to nowhere close. So instead of spending your season fighting your way into the top 25, you spend your season fighting your way into the bubble. And yes, I absolutely believe the selection committee watches that stuff.
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                        I think it does make some difference, even if it's a small one. Drop 2 or 3 kids by 50 points and it could potentially drop your recruiting class similarly, say from top 100 nationally to 150. Bracketology and top 25 rankings drop accordingly. Could be what preseason would be considered a bubble team to nowhere close. So instead of spending your season fighting your way into the top 25, you spend your season fighting your way into the bubble. And yes, I absolutely believe the selection committee watches that stuff.
                        Yes, this is what I was alluding to about Memphis. Not sure how they are viewed this year, but the talking heads seem to love them and always give them the benefit of doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Pie you really miss the point. Yes we know shocker players are going to perform better than they are ranked because we got good coaches that can see talent even if the national media can not. So I will not be surprised that KP performs better than what they think now since they have dropped him 50 spots. And I agree with others that it affects perception and makes it harder to get in the NCAA tournament when your trying to get in than already being listed as one of the teams in Bracketology. If your listed in bracketology you get benefit of the doubt if you lose a game , whereas if your not in and you lose a game the mindset is see we knew you were not good enough to be listed in the top 68 teams.

But the bigger point is that WSU basketball is not treated fairly and does not get the respect it deserves. I just read an article titled " Top 10 College basketball programs since 2010. Kentucky or Duke No.1? They only listed 15 teams. Wichita State was in the group 5 on the Outside. The other 4 teams in this group were Michigan State, Wisconsin, Butler, and Ohio State. The quote on the Shockers was this:

THE SHOCKERS RANK 5TH IN WINNING PERCENTAGE AMONG ALL DIVISIONS 1 PROGRAMS THIS DECADE.

Yet the Shockers do not get treated like it has the 5th winning percentage among ALL divisions 1 teams. Each year it is the same old crap. I haven't double checked but I bet the other 14 teams in the above article are listed in June bracketology. So why not the Shockers? I tell you what, I know bullsht when I see it. The Shockers deserve to be in the June bracketology. I know 8 teams from the Big 10 conference is wrong.

Comment

• As to recruiting rankings (drops), they can have an impact on recruiting as a whole. Kids see the numbers. Coaches see the numbers. If you're pulling in top 50, 100, 150 kids, it catches eyes of those players and coaches and can help open more doors.

Numbers aren't everything by any means, but they do play a part and can have an impact.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Exactly SubGod22. Exactly.
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Pie you really miss the point. Yes we know shocker players are going to perform better than they are ranked because we got good coaches that can see talent even if the national media can not. So I will not be surprised that KP performs better than what they think now since they have dropped him 50 spots. And I agree with others that it affects perception and makes it harder to get in the NCAA tournament when your trying to get in than already being listed as one of the teams in Bracketology. If your listed in bracketology you get benefit of the doubt if you lose a game , whereas if your not in and you lose a game the mindset is see we knew you were not good enough to be listed in the top 68 teams.

But the bigger point is that WSU basketball is not treated fairly and does not get the respect it deserves. I just read an article titled " Top 10 College basketball programs since 2010. Kentucky or Duke No.1? They only listed 15 teams. Wichita State was in the group 5 on the Outside. The other 4 teams in this group were Michigan State, Wisconsin, Butler, and Ohio State. The quote on the Shockers was this:

THE SHOCKERS RANK 5TH IN WINNING PERCENTAGE AMONG ALL DIVISIONS 1 PROGRAMS THIS DECADE.

Yet the Shockers do not get treated like it has the 5th winning percentage among ALL divisions 1 teams. Each year it is the same old crap. I haven't double checked but I bet the other 14 teams in the above article are listed in June bracketology. So why not the Shockers? I tell you what, I know bullsht when I see it. The Shockers deserve to be in the June bracketology. I know 8 teams from the Big 10 conference is wrong.
                                If that’s the kind of thing you want to worry about who am I to try and change your mind.

Personally, I don’t put much stock in the basketball “experts” or media. I know what Wichita State has a very good basketball program that annually competes for championships and NCAA berths. Outside validation (of which WSU has received plenty during the Marshall era) isn’t necessary.

I get it. I’m starved for shocker news and am ready for the season. That being said, if you’re reading June bracketology articles you’re desperate. If you’re getting this upset over June bracketology articles you need to rethink your life.

Comment

Working...
                                X