State of the Basketball Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

As I stated, that number was calculated over the last 4 years. I don’t care what happened in the last 13 years. I only care about what is affecting this program now.
    I’d be interested to see the break down of how you reached that number if you care to share.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’d be interested to see the break down of how you reached that number if you care to share.
      It was in their original post:

“I'm talking about the 23 players he has brought into the program over the last 4 years, he has discarded 15 of them for either not being talented enough, attitudes or were unwilling to play his style.”
      I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
      If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• It takes someone (upper classman, Assistant coach, etc.) that the young players believe in to lead them in the transition from HS ball, where everything flows through them and they are carried out of the gym each game on someone's shoulders, to D1 ball where you have to fit into a system and work your way up the ladder. Navigating this transition is the best way to succeed. As mentioned elsewhere, some of these pieces have been missing lately. But I believe we will get them back with the right mix of personnel.

Comment

• Gregg likes depth. For all the positives depth brings it can certainly bring some negatives......like not enough minutes to go around.

But even this doesn't explain JB, GS (who had the inside track to the full-time starting job), or ES.
          Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; March 17, 2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LandStander View Post

It was in their original post:

“I'm talking about the 23 players he has brought into the program over the last 4 years, he has discarded 15 of them for either not being talented enough, attitudes or were unwilling to play his style.”
            I’m talking about a specific breakdown with player names and categories.

Comment

• We need to redshirt more freshmen, especially if they are hurt or behind developmentally. Marshall needs to set this expectation up front. I know he has said that it’s the player’s decision, but as the leader of the program, he could probably stand to have a better policy on this issue. Noah is a prime example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                We need to redshirt more freshmen, especially if they are hurt or behind developmentally. Marshall needs to set this expectation up front. I know he has said that it’s the player’s decision, but as the leader of the program, he could probably stand to have a better policy on this issue. Noah is a prime example.
                I'd say it wouldn't have hurt Gordon if he had redshirted, too. I think he would have been back next year if he had, unless he also had some problems with Marshall's coaching style.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                  23-8 with these kids...a 22 point win over the conference leader...I don't think talent level is main issue...
                  But it is. Just not the way you think. See, in the Valley and with teams we are used to seeing in black and yellow, we would get one, maybe two players the level of the scholarship players we had 1-11 this year. That’s why we would see our lower end players transfer out to a Mercer type school. We would have players capable of starting at a low level D1 transfer to a low level D1. Now we have 11 players capable of starting on top 100 teams. That makes it difficult to keep all those players happy, especially when they are all the same age. They are going to resent each other and their coaches. It’s better to have that 1-11 talent spread out over 5 classes than all in 2, let alone all freshman and sophomores the same age.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Could/Would have been our 'One Shining Moment'...

Eh. Defense wins championships.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• This all sounds familiar. Im not talking about the transfers, Im talking about the sense Marshall is in over his head.

The clowns in the Valley scoffed at Marshall in his first few years too. Just like Louis Armstrong. But then he went to the moon.

I suspect Marshall is itching to do the same in the AAC. I think in a year or 2, we will look back on this and have a laugh.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
                        One thing I'm fairly certain is that the program's consecutive 20-plus game winning seasons will come to an end next year. It's going to take at least two years, for the staff to rebuild this roster into a possible NCAA tournament team. I'm just hoping Jadun Michael doesn't back out of his committment.
                        You appear to be out of the loop.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                          This all sounds familiar. Im not talking about the transfers, Im talking about the sense Marshall is in over his head.

The clowns in the Valley scoffed at Marshall in his first few years too. Just like Louis Armstrong. But then he went to the moon.

I suspect Marshall is itching to do the same in the AAC. I think in a year or 2, we will look back on this and have a laugh.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You appear to be out of the loop.
                            We love KC Shox, but he’s a strange little fella.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Unless they're five stars, youth is not a particularly good asset for a conference like the American. After 2 years of young teams, I think it was beginning to get to Marshall and could have affected his relations with some of his players. However, probably nothing would have worked with Eric Stevenson and his helicopter dad. Count me as a KU fan who is saddened by recent developments.

Comment

• I say lets start from the beginning. We will have a few chest pieces on the board. Now its up to the players staying here to tell the new recruits how Marshall runs the show. I think that hopefully Dexter (if he stays) and TE will be honest with those players and tell what to expect. We all know that Marshall is a damn good coach. Yeah we did have our ups and down but we finished 4th in the American. And we also would have got to the Dance. I've seen a whole lot of brackets and yes we were in. So with that. Marshall will recruit some players. And most likely we will get new assistant coaches. That i can be sure off. I think after our butt whopping in Houston something changed. I think Marshall will have a different approach to recruiting. With this Coronavirus i think some players want to be closer to home. I don't blame them. But some they will have their own reasons. We will never know for sure. So don't make any assumption of whats going on. I really hate when PPL don't know both sides of the story. And the truth is we will probably never know. GO SHOX

Comment

Working...
                                X