No announcement yet.

State of the Basketball Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found an interesting quote on Taylor Eldridge's Twitter account, 17% of Division I programs had at least 5 transfers last year. If someone already brought this up, my apologies. I was amazed that it was that high. The sky isn't falling yet IMO, but another off season like this year would definitely sound the alarm that change is needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
      Tyson and Dexter staying is a solid foundation to build around (I hope Dex stays). I'm hoping JaDun is the real deal and can immediately start and contribute double digit scoring average. The front court is the big question, color me apprehensive but HCGM has not had great luck at foreign born big men so I'm going to assume this trend continues with Bilau. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's the next Giannis Antent......oh forget it, I can't spell his name.
      you do know that we don't have a point guard?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post
        I found an interesting quote on Taylor Eldridge's Twitter account, 17% of Division I programs had at least 5 transfers last year. If someone already brought this up, my apologies. I was amazed that it was that high. The sky isn't falling yet IMO, but another off season like this year would definitely sound the alarm that change is needed.
        There are a lot of factors that cause players to transfer, one of the largest is coaching turnover. Last year, 55 coaches, retired, quit or were fired. That is just a tick shy of 16%. If you look at Georgetown they are a classic example. New coach ,different expectations, higher standards, kids leave.

Before I put too much stock in aforementioned stat, I'd look to see just how many of those schools with a lot of transfers came from schools with first or second year coaches. That said, I haven't the answer and I'm not spending the time to research.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Umm . . . Nick Wiggins. Final four team.
          Yeah I know who Nick is lol. When I was viewing the post on my work computer it just showed as a blank post.

Comment

• I still think he just needs to get a varied class. Some senior transfers, some JC guys and a couple of freshmen.
            It would also help tot get a "glue guy."
            Evan Wessel was not the most talented guy on the team, but high character and would do anything for the team.

When we beat KU, Self said Wessel was the best player on the floor. It was not because of talent, but because of determination and character.

So, I had hoped Stephenson would be one of those glue guys, but he turned out to be a head case who only cared about himself.

Hopefully Marshall will find a couple of good bigs, a couple of guards, and they will have a leader among them.

And/or Dex and Etienne step up as leaders.

Until we get back to his "system" of senior and junior leaders, we are going to have problems.

But this is a problem that is going to shake the whole NCAA Basketball world, there are going to be a lot more transfers from schools big and small when the "one free transfer" rule goes into effect next year. It is going to be the "new normal" in college basketball.

Comment

• Thought the following thread from the AAC board was interesting; 35-19 conference record after four years in the AAC.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-896510.html

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• The good news about Erik Stevenson transferring is that I don’t have to keep seeing people write Eric Stephenson. Dexter Dennis is much easier to spell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  The good news about Erik Stevenson transferring is that I don’t have to keep seeing people write Eric Stephenson. Dexter Dennis is much easier to spell.
                  It's the Little Things...
                  The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

It's the Little Things...

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      Thought the following thread from the AAC board was interesting; 35-19 conference record after four years in the AAC.

Second best winning percentage out of any AAC teams ... (with 2 "down" years out of 3)

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Second best winning percentage out of any AAC teams ... (with 2 "down" years out of 3)
                        Yep, I noticed it, but waited to see who would comment on it.

Comment

Your comments about the Blow Jays in that thread were spot on. Now, your comment here is taking on the same angle you were criticizing there. One good year boosted our % and lack of years in the AAC to see how we'll really stack up. Get back with me after next year. I'd love to eat crow.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Your comments about the Blow Jays in that thread were spot on. Now, your comment here is taking on the same angle you were criticizing there. One good year boosted our % and lack of years in the AAC to see how we'll really stack up. Get back with me after next year. I'd love to eat crow.
                            I don't really agree.

Never stated we were doing great. I was just surprised to see the numbers in comparison to other AAC teams. I called out we had 2 down years out of 3, yet from a perspective standpoint, 10 of the other 11 teams I'm sure would love to have our results.

Comment

I don't really agree.

Never stated we were doing great. I was just surprised to see the numbers in comparison to other AAC teams. I called out we had 2 down years out of 3, yet from a perspective standpoint, 10 of the other 11 teams I'm sure would love to have our results.
                              Didn't say you said great (even if "Second best winning percentage" must only imply good, not great). However, the implied comment was how well we stacked up over our 1st 3 years with 2 "down" years. One of those "down" years we finished in 4th, 2 games out of 1st place and the other in the top half division of the league (yes, I know that's what the " " meant).

No biggie. Just an off the cuff reaction after first reading your comments there, then reading the comment here. Wouldn't have thought about it if you had prefaced your 1st statement as you did your 2nd statement with something like your 2nd sentence above.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                                Thought the following thread from the AAC board was interesting; 35-19 conference record after four years in the AAC.

With the replies on that thread, I have a new found appreciation for all the SN'ers who take the time to research, validate, and present information. Clearly this group is at the top of the AAC with these skills, and it isn't even close!

Comment

Working...
                                X