No announcement yet.

State of the Basketball Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 65% number is wrong. Marshall has been here 13 years. There has been an average of 2.2 transfers per year. the concentration of JuCo guys means there were typically more Sr's than any other class. To be safe let's say there were 3 guys who graduated each year. That makes a little over 5 mew players each year. Lets call it 70, but that's more complicated than we need to be.

There's been a little over 5 recruits each year and 2.2 of them have left the program. That's in the 40 - 45% range. That's in the range of 60% success rate, which isn't that different from the cherry-picked 75% rate for Sampson.

One huge difference is that Marshall was recruiting guys willing to play in the MVC and then turn those guys into consistent winners in the NCAA tourney. That's going to bump the number of players who were willing to play at WSU, but didn't fit the success model.

The other side of that argument is that 11 (I think) have left the program in the 3 years in the AAC. 11 in 3 years raises eyebrows. Could be an adjustment to recruiting higher level players, where there's not as much experience, or it could be a reflection of the massive turnover in assistants

Heiar probably wasn't too thrilled when Jans was (apparently) moved above him in the staff hierarchy, but he still left for a similar position when Jans was hired at another school. Heiar would have been associate head coach had he stayed, but he chose not to have that position here.

Waterman played for Marshall and apples don't fall far from the tree, so we probably have Marshall, Waterman, and Marshall, Jr. all chewing ass. That would be a MAJOR problem.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I guess of there was ever going to be a year for turnover, this was the year.

if COVID-19 was going to happen anyways, it might was well happen on a year where there were a lot of issues and no a year they were dominant.

Without going back to perfectly account for all the scholarships, imagine if this year’s team had all or most of these players:
      - Senior Landry
      - Senior Austin
      - Junior Teddy
      - Sophomore Lomax
      - Senior Jamie

WSU probably would have been in a similar position as Dayton or SDSU. That would have hurt a lot worse.
      The Assman

Comment

• Marshall's coaching style is what it is, and his personality is what it is. Those things aren't changing. I personally don't want him to change or to go anywhere.

So the assistants' job, and to some degree HCGM's job, is to find players who will thrive under his system, his style, and his personality. That might be the most difficult aspect of recruiting our program and our coaches face.

As someone astutely observed earlier in the thread (sorry I don't remember who it was), finding scrappy kids with a chip on their shoulder who will run through brick walls for a guy who took a chance on them was easy when we were in the MVC. Now that we're in the AAC, finding higher rated players with the same attitude is much more difficult. The kinds of players we need to go after now, just to be competitive in our own conference, many times have legitimate aspirations of the NBA. They don't have chips on their shoulders from being overlooked.

This is the problem we pay $3.5 million to figure out a solution to.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          I guess of there was ever going to be a year for turnover, this was the year.

if COVID-19 was going to happen anyways, it might was well happen on a year where there were a lot of issues and no a year they were dominant.

Without going back to perfectly account for all the scholarships, imagine if this year’s team had all or most of these players:
          - Senior Landry
          - Senior Austin
          - Junior Teddy
          - Sophomore Lomax
          - Senior Jamie

WSU probably would have been in a similar position as Dayton or SDSU. That would have hurt a lot worse.
          Could/Would have been our 'One Shining Moment'...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
            23-8 with these kids...a 22 point win over the conference leader...I don't think talent level is main issue...
            Have to agree here. The season, in all, was a fairly successful one. This team was capable with the right match-up of winning 2 games in the dance.

I do know the last game I watched this season, imprinted, was reaves going off for 41. It was disappointing to me, and that's my opinion, so no need to educate on the numerous bad games he had this year.

Comment

• A major issue of having so many Young players in the program at any one time is that there is a lack of leadership at the top. In the past two seasons, the only player who was a senior,who had been with the program for four years, was MM. This lack of leadership on the team has been glaring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

When there are 13 scholarships and it's impractical to play more than 10 guys, and unlikely to keep more than 8 of that 10 happy with their PT, that's going to leave some who seek a different opportunity and that number is likely to be 2 or 3 every year. We're higher than that this year because there was a player who didn't like to be coached.
                One solution for the 2-3 players that aren't going to get any significant playing time is to redshirt them. If they're still not getting any significant playing time after that, let them transfer or force them to transfer.

Comment

• One thing I'm fairly certain is that the program's consecutive 20-plus game winning seasons will come to an end next year. It's going to take at least two years, for the staff to rebuild this roster into a possible NCAA tournament team. I'm just hoping Jadun Michael doesn't back out of his committment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
                    One thing I'm fairly certain is that the program's consecutive 20-plus game winning seasons will come to an end next year. It's going to take at least two years, for the staff to rebuild this roster into a possible NCAA tournament team. I'm just hoping Jadun Michael doesn't back out of his committment.
                    I would take that bet. Feasting in the non-conference is very possible. See this year. I am generally down on the next year as well.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

One thing I'm fairly certain is that the program's consecutive 20-plus game winning seasons will come to an end next year. It's going to take at least two years, for the staff to rebuild this roster into a possible NCAA tournament team. I'm just hoping Jadun Michael doesn't back out of his committment.
                      Dude is already trying to recruit people to come. He's retweet Taylor saying "I'M ON MY WAY"

Kid actually seems to want to be here, unlike some others.
                      The Assman

Comment

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think it depends on what recruits we bring in. The overseas trip should help mold the team, if they're even able to play the games. I don't know if covid-19 could affect that.

Comment

• It has been said multiple times, but the balance in the classes to me is what has caused the transfer issue the last couple of years and particularly this year. Too many young kids in the same class with the same position. I think this upcoming class needs to be balanced with a Juco/Grad transfer or two mixed with a couple of four year kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              It has been said multiple times, but the balance in the classes to me is what has caused the transfer issue the last couple of years and particularly this year. Too many young kids in the same class with the same position. I think this upcoming class needs to be balanced with a Juco/Grad transfer or two mixed with a couple of four year kids.
                              Jucos Jucos Jucos and a dash of a Grad transfer and sprinkle in a few freshmen

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                The 65% number is wrong. Marshall has been here 13 years.
                                As I stated, that number was calculated over the last 4 years. I don’t care what happened in the last 13 years. I only care about what is affecting this program now.

Comment

Working...
                                X