2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Sure, changes my opinion of Burton unfortunately. I mean, hell, at least Stevenson had the guts to just come out and give his opinion. I respect that more than this passive aggressive liking of Twitter trolls posts that JB is doing. Which, for the record, I don’t search this crap out. IMO it’s petty, pointless, and a waste of time.
    If its a waste of time to search it out then how can it change your opinion on someone? The two dont correlate.

You dont have to like that he's gone or he doesnt like the coach. But dont take it so personal, its only a game.

Comment

• JB left (I hate that) didn't badmouth the program as he left. Good luck to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
        Midtgaard in the transfer portal.
        Well. A lotta people got their wish; good for them.
        "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• Yes, UW has to love what they have to look forward to.

Comment

• Originally posted by W51shocker View Post
            Hello Shocker fans!!!! I feel like I need to chime in on all these transfers from The Wichita State University! I don't post much but follow this sight with much joy! I attended my first Shocker basketall game at the age of 5 in 1964, and fell in love at that point. I attened regularly for the next 35 years. I have not lived in DoDah for the last 21 years but still watch as much as I can online, on TV and in person. My oldest daughter was the recipient of a full athletic scholorship at a Div. 1 university ( saved me alot of money!!!). The coach that recruited her was a true Class 1 human being. However that coach left after her Freshman year. My daughter was even selected to be on the search committee for the new head coach, and they hired the person who was her first choice. Once the new coach came with a whole different coaching style, including how they interacted with the players, it became very difficult for my daughter. She felt the new coach only beat her down and never gave her a fair shake, showed favoritism to other players, etc...(does any of this sound familiar?). It got to the point that my daughter was seriously considering transferring to even higher level programs that had shown interest in her, and she could have easily transferred. After much anguish and discussion, my daughter decided to remain at that school. She and this new coach never saw eye to eye, but in the end this coach even asked my daughter to attend their wedding a few years after she graduated. I feel that alot of these young athletes need to learn
            that the grass is not always greener on the other side. They need to learn how to make the most out of their current situation, and most importantly, how to grow personally from there current situation. I feel Coach Marshall needs to look at his current interaction style with the players and adjust somewhat, but most of this lies with the players and there support system. A future boss will so favorites and treat you harshly at times, you must learn how to respond other than just leaving. I am, as always, excited for my Shockers future, no matter who the coach or players. The Wichita State University helped me achieve more than I ever could have dreamed, and it will help these young athletes, if they will accept the help.

Thanks for your insight and welcome to the board. Did your daughter have a chance to play professionally, and could you offer thoughts on how that would change the discussion of whether to stay or go?

Although there is clearly evidence of an underlying issue with personalities, communication, etc. a key dynamic in all of this that is rarely brought up is simply what is best for the player and their future earnings. As Wichita State fans, we don’t really care because we don’t end up seeing it. But to say it isn’t the most important driving factor on decisions for many is probably naive.

I’ve discussed this with a couple former teammates who have sons that played high level AAU and they agree. And personally, while I believe it’s best to let the coach coach and developing into a quality man is very important, if I had a son with the potential to play professional basketball and potentially unlock all of the life-changing positive results that could entail I would be very focused on finding a situation with the right amounts of playing time and potential for production to maximize/optimize those future opportunities IN ADDITION to all of the other important things.

In the case of Asbjorn, I think it’s totally reasonable to look at his future earnings stream and what teams would be willing to sign him with his stats this year (assuming his situation and production wasn’t going to materially change), versus the teams willing to sign a 7 footer that played 30 minutes at a less noteworthy program that didn’t make the tournament, but those 30 minutes allowed for 11 points 7 rebounds and 2 blocks per game. Then you’re talking about a difference in teams/leagues, which waterfalls to contract size career length lifetime earnings quality of life and so on down the line. At that point the right decision probably becomes clear regardless of whether the coach is an a-hole or not.

Transpose it up an octave for JB - in that case you’re talking about an NBA ceiling or at least an invite to the combine as the highest level outcome if you can show that you’re THE guy and are a 20ppg scorer. And the difference between that outcome and those contracts are where the numbers get gigantic even before you throw the compounding over a lifetime onto it.

In Stevenson’s case, he and his Dad are probably thinking the same thing. To whatever degree delusion may be involved, it doesn’t matter - we all have potentials and possibilities and high ends of our respective performance ranges in life, and we all have a right to decide how high we want to aim (even if we are delusional in the process). While I don’t share the perspective on Erik’s ceiling, I 100 percent agree with their right to have that perspective.

Then you have a significant removal of opportunity cost that was present in the past - loss of 1 year of stats/production/game experience, 1 year of practice with potential for injury, 1 year deferral of the start of the professional earnings stream... the calculus changes. For those of you with a business background, it’s simultaneously affecting multiple drivers of the present value calculation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

Thanks for your insight and welcome to the board. Did your daughter have a chance to play professionally, and could you offer thoughts on how that would change the discussion of whether to stay or go?

Although there is clearly evidence of an underlying issue with personalities, communication, etc. a key dynamic in all of this that is rarely brought up is simply what is best for the player and their future earnings. As Wichita State fans, we don’t really care because we don’t end up seeing it. But to say it isn’t the most important driving factor on decisions for many is probably naive.

I’ve discussed this with a couple former teammates who have sons that played high level AAU and they agree. And personally, while I believe it’s best to let the coach coach and developing into a quality man is very important, if I had a son with the potential to play professional basketball and potentially unlock all of the life-changing positive results that could entail I would be very focused on finding a situation with the right amounts of playing time and potential for production to maximize/optimize those future opportunities IN ADDITION to all of the other important things.

In the case of Asbjorn, I think it’s totally reasonable to look at his future earnings stream and what teams would be willing to sign him with his stats this year (assuming his situation and production wasn’t going to materially change), versus the teams willing to sign a 7 footer that played 30 minutes at a less noteworthy program that didn’t make the tournament, but those 30 minutes allowed for 11 points 7 rebounds and 2 blocks per game. Then you’re talking about a difference in teams/leagues, which waterfalls to contract size career length lifetime earnings quality of life and so on down the line. At that point the right decision probably becomes clear regardless of whether the coach is an a-hole or not.

Transpose it up an octave for JB - in that case you’re talking about an NBA ceiling or at least an invite to the combine as the highest level outcome if you can show that you’re THE guy and are a 20ppg scorer. And the difference between that outcome and those contracts are where the numbers get gigantic even before you throw the compounding over a lifetime onto it.

In Stevenson’s case, he and his Dad are probably thinking the same thing. To whatever degree delusion may be involved, it doesn’t matter - we all have potentials and possibilities and high ends of our respective performance ranges in life, and we all have a right to decide how high we want to aim (even if we are delusional in the process). While I don’t share the perspective on Erik’s ceiling, I 100 percent agree with their right to have that perspective.

Then you have a significant removal of opportunity cost that was present in the past - loss of 1 year of stats/production/game experience, 1 year of practice with potential for injury, 1 year deferral of the start of the professional earnings stream... the calculus changes. For those of you with a business background, it’s simultaneously affecting multiple drivers of the present value calculation.
              Better than Ambien.

Comment

• At this point, I won’t be surprised to learn that Dex has entered the transfer portal as well. Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No.

Like most of us here, I really would like to know what has happened with this team this year because I am a die hard fan of Wichita State. I really like it when things are rosy (that FF run and undefeated season was chest expanding) and down in the dumps when things aren’t going so well. I was excited when I learned we were moving to the AAC but also realistic enough to know we weren’t going to jump right in and dominate, especially after our first year when we knew we were going to be losing a lot of players to graduation.

But I also had high hopes sprinkled with trepidation in terms of recruiting. High hopes because I was sure Coach Marshall could lure much higher level talent to his program, something many of us, myself included, contemplated here in the recruiting threads. Trepidation because with that high-level talent comes ego and playing time expectations. And I think we’ve witnessed that the last two years. Gregg has lured some seriously talented athletes to Wichita the last two years and those two teams have flashed some real “Play Angry” nastiness but also some “Who the hell are these guys?” But the challenge of blending so many young athletes into an unselfish style of team-first basketball Gregg demands appears to be something the staff couldn’t overcome with this group.

There was a point this season that I found this team unwatchable. I couldn’t put my finger on it but it was there. The lazy passes, the lack of aggressively pushing the ball down the court or driving into the lane, the body language. I found myself yelling at the TV (more than usual), incredulous that, yet again, one of the guards (in my opinion, they were all guilty of it at some point) just tossing the ball and watching the defense jump the pass and taking it down for an easy fast break basket. The inability to generate any offense other than the constant chucking of deep threes, ignoring the bigs, the bigs not throwing the ball back to the perimeter to an open shooter, etc.

What I was watching wasn’t Shocker basketball that I’ve come to really appreciate since Gregg Marshall took over the program.

There’s clearly blame to go around for this mass exodus of student athletes, that’s for sure.

I have to admit that I’m not surprised. For all the reasons all of us have speculated here.

But I’m not ready to pull the plug on the coach or as a fan of this program. I’ll reserve judgment until after I see how next year’s team is built and responds to Coach Marshall’s coaching style. Gregg has an opportunity to mix up the classes with a good range of grad transfers, transfers (hopefully only one or two), JUCOs and high schoolers.

I’m a somewhat patient guy, after all, I waited 50 years to watch the Chiefs win another Super Bowl. I just hope I don’t have to wait that long for another Shocker FF run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                  At this point, I won’t be surprised to learn that Dex has entered the transfer portal as well. Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No.

Like most of us here, I really would like to know what has happened with this team this year because I am a die hard fan of Wichita State. I really like it when things are rosy (that FF run and undefeated season was chest expanding) and down in the dumps when things aren’t going so well. I was excited when I learned we were moving to the AAC but also realistic enough to know we weren’t going to jump right in and dominate, especially after our first year when we knew we were going to be losing a lot of players to graduation.

But I also had high hopes sprinkled with trepidation in terms of recruiting. High hopes because I was sure Coach Marshall could lure much higher level talent to his program, something many of us, myself included, contemplated here in the recruiting threads. Trepidation because with that high-level talent comes ego and playing time expectations. And I think we’ve witnessed that the last two years. Gregg has lured some seriously talented athletes to Wichita the last two years and those two teams have flashed some real “Play Angry” nastiness but also some “Who the hell are these guys?” But the challenge of blending so many young athletes into an unselfish style of team-first basketball Gregg demands appears to be something the staff couldn’t overcome with this group.

There was a point this season that I found this team unwatchable. I couldn’t put my finger on it but it was there. The lazy passes, the lack of aggressively pushing the ball down the court or driving into the lane, the body language. I found myself yelling at the TV (more than usual), incredulous that, yet again, one of the guards (in my opinion, they were all guilty of it at some point) just tossing the ball and watching the defense jump the pass and taking it down for an easy fast break basket. The inability to generate any offense other than the constant chucking of deep threes, ignoring the bigs, the bigs not throwing the ball back to the perimeter to an open shooter, etc.

What I was watching wasn’t Shocker basketball that I’ve come to really appreciate since Gregg Marshall took over the program.

There’s clearly blame to go around for this mass exodus of student athletes, that’s for sure.

I have to admit that I’m not surprised. For all the reasons all of us have speculated here.

But I’m not ready to pull the plug on the coach or as a fan of this program. I’ll reserve judgment until after I see how next year’s team is built and responds to Coach Marshall’s coaching style. Gregg has an opportunity to mix up the classes with a good range of grad transfers, transfers (hopefully only one or two), JUCOs and high schoolers.

I’m a somewhat patient guy, after all, I waited 50 years to watch the Chiefs win another Super Bowl. I just hope I don’t have to wait that long for another Shocker FF run.
                  Dex ain’t leavin!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    JB left (I hate that) didn't badmouth the program as he left. Good luck to him.
                    Do you ever read anything here or just drive-by post?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Tate Busse has announced his commitment to D-II Metro State in Denver.

Good luck Tate, Wishing you great success in the Mile High City.

Comment

• Craig Ball Stevenson is a clown living his best life through his son. Hopkins should just hire him now.

Asbjorn would do well in the Valley.

Gregg is who Gregg is, and snowflakes will never like him.

Tiger King has nothing on some of you.
                        Last edited by shock; March 28, 2020, 11:53 AM. Reason: Kung, we really need a strike through.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• All I can say is if someone else is leaving, then do so NOW and get it over with. What the hell are you waiting for. More intense drama? I think we have had our fill of it. I know I have.

I trust Gregg Marshall to do the job he was hired to do, and regardless of anything he has my vote and backing. I'm not saying there is not enough blame to go around, but I'll bet it's not all one-sided. And unlike so many on this board, I have no "inside" knowledge nor do I claim to know more about Marshall's job than he does. All I'm saying is let him do his job and quit the bitching and finger pointing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                            All I can say is if someone else is leaving, then do so NOW and get it over with. What the hell are you waiting for. More intense drama? I think we have had our fill of it. I know I have.

I trust Gregg Marshall to do the job he was hired to do, and regardless of anything he has my vote and backing. I'm not saying there is not enough blame to go around, but I'll bet it's not all one-sided. And unlike so many on this board, I have no "inside" knowledge nor do I claim to know more about Marshall's job than he does. All I'm saying is let him do his job and quit the bitching and finger pointing.
                            Agree with most of this... But I think people have a good right to b!tch at this moment... Just natural feelings when rare occasions like these occur.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

Bottom line: HCGM tore into the players after the Temple and Houston losses, like never before, and they all got sick of it. So they're leaving.

Marshall's dream of re-entering the national spotlight and a Top 10 ranking went up in smoke after an awesome 15-1 start and #16 ranking.

So he ripped into them in frustration. Jamarius Burton is a well-spoken young Christian man, and he wasn't going to be treated like this any longer.

Simple as that.

I put 99% of the blame on HCGM. He needs to change and never do what he did in ripping into the players again.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerHoops View Post

Bottom line: HCGM tore into the players after the Temple and Houston losses, like never before, and they all got sick of it. So they're leaving.

Marshall's dream of re-entering the national spotlight and a Top 10 ranking went up in smoke after an awesome 15-1 start and #16 ranking.

So he ripped into them in frustration. Jamarius Burton is a well-spoken young Christian man, and he wasn't going to be treated like this any longer.

Simple as that.

I put 99% of the blame on HCGM. He needs to change and never do what he did in ripping into the players again.
                                Oh, you are gonna get letters......

Comment

Working...
                                X