2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Eh... Players knew what they signed up for. Literally ... Some of the players that left said when they signed they wanted to be coached and they wanted a coach that would tell them when they were wrong. They just couldn't handle it when it actually happened... *Shocked Pikachu face*
    How about a Ryan Reynolds shocked face. He was the voice of Pikachu.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Craig, is that you?

Comment

• Guess it didn’t require much guessing. A lot of correct guesses unfortunately...hopefully today’s commitment is the first of many great players for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerHoops View Post

Bottom line: HCGM tore into the players after the Temple and Houston losses, like never before, and they all got sick of it. So they're leaving.

Marshall's dream of re-entering the national spotlight and a Top 10 ranking went up in smoke after an awesome 15-1 start and #16 ranking.

So he ripped into them in frustration. Jamarius Burton is a well-spoken young Christian man, and he wasn't going to be treated like this any longer.

Simple as that.

I put 99% of the blame on HCGM. He needs to change and never do what he did in ripping into the players again.
          No offense... But f9ck u

Comment

• Now that I've had some time to get over the shock of all the transfers, I've got a different perspective.

I don't have subscriptions to any of the advanced metric sites, but as I recall WSU was in the 300+ range for offensive efficiency. That would indicate some weakness at PG. I'm reminded of something Willard Garvey used to say about people in business, "If you think you've got a problem, fire that person. Then you know you have a problem and you know what you have to do to fix it".

We lost all the PG's from one of the most inefficient offenses in the nation. We lost a SG who didn't make a lot of shots, but made up for that with volume to keep his points per game up. It appears we lost those most responsible for one of the worst offensive efficiencies in D1 ball.

We were in a position where the "good" news could have been that we were bringing everybody (except Echenique) back, and the bad news would have been that we're bringing everybody back.

We lost two ineffective PG's and a SG who kept his ppg up by taking and mostly missing a lot of shots. Past that we lost some players who probably weren't seeing a lot of PT in the future.
            Last edited by Aargh; March 29, 2020, 09:20 AM.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              Now that I've had some time to get over the shock of all the transfers, I've got a different perspective.

I don't have subscriptions to any of the advanced metric sites, but as I recall WSU was in the 300+ range for offensive efficiency. That would indicate some weakness at PG. I'm reminded of something Willard Garvey used to say about people in business, "If you think you've got a problem, fire that person. Then you know you have a problem and you know what you have to do to fix it".

We lost all the PG's from one of the most inefficient offenses in the nation. We lost a SG who didn't make a lot of shots, but made up for that with volume to keep his points per game up. It appears we lost those most responsible for one of the worst offensive efficiencies in D1 ball.

We were in a position where the "good" news could have been that we were bringing everybody (except Echenique) back, and the bad news would have been that we're bringing everybody back.

We lost two ineffective PG's and a SG who kept his ppg up by taking and mostly missing a lot of shots. Past that we lost some players who probably weren't seeing a lot of PT in the future.
              This has been my feeling all along. We are losing guys on one of the worst offenses in college basketball. We bitched and moaned how our offense stunk all year long, then most of them leave and we think the sky is falling. Yes, it's difficult to replace based on numbers, but, how much worse can we get on offense, even with 7 new guys?

if we keep our above average guys and replace our below average shooters with average shooters, don't we have to improve?
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Double edge sword, if you suck that bad on offense you must have done something right on defense to win 23. Still, 3G can teach anyone Defense and yes we will necessarily be better on offense. AG will be + on D.

Comment

• This team clearly hated each other this of byear.instead it seemed instead of claming down and believing in the team and Coach, they regressed to me me me, and played for the name on the back of the jersey not the front.

The offense showed it. Before they *knew* they hated each other, the offense was occasionally a thing of beauty, with all people sharing the scoring load and the ball moved freely. That's Gregg Marshall offense that Danny works. The players have to work it.

That's probably why coach made them pass the ball so much on offense. He probably mandated sharing the ball, so they did (ineffectively throwing meaningless passes back and forth) and ultimately getting their half assed passes in so they don't get pulled. But as a result, we end up chucking a contested brick 23 footer as the shot clock is expiring.

Comment

• First off I am a Gregg Marshall supporter, fan and acquaintance.

Is he a hard coach to play for? I am sure he is.

Is he verbally abusive at times? Quite possibly.

Does he love and care for his players? Yes, very much so.

Does he have the ability to bring out the best in players? Absolutely.

Is he a winner? Of course he is.

Does he take responsibility for the inability to retain players from a 23-8 team? I would assume he does. He has even said publicly that he needs to make some changes.

I would speculate he is working around the clock to right this ship. No one feels worse than he does about the end of the season departures.

With the exception of one player and his daddy, I was sorry to see these transfers. But they left and now we have to move on.

Let’s give the future Hall of Fame coach the benefit of the doubt and see what happens when filling out the rest of the roster.

Comment

• This is a pipe dream that would never happen but I kind of wish Gordon would just leave the portal and come on back. Wish someone would call him back and tell him "get back here, we plans for you." And yes, I know it would set a dangerous precedent to let someone come back from the portal. Just dreaming.

Of course he was frustrated with his minutes but I think this dude has big upside. He also appeared to be a great teammate and appeared to have a great attitude.

Even if he never scored a point.....with that athleticism, with that length, and with that effort he could just become an elite defender and really put the clamp on someone.

oh well, pipe dream over.

*****Edit / Update ***** I just checked his per 40 and per 100 pos defensive stats and maybe I really am dreaming. Not close to what I thought they would be
                      Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; March 29, 2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockAzs View Post
                        This team clearly hated each other this of byear.instead it seemed instead of claming down and believing in the team and Coach, they regressed to me me me, and played for the name on the back of the jersey not the front.

The offense showed it. Before they *knew* they hated each other, the offense was occasionally a thing of beauty, with all people sharing the scoring load and the ball moved freely. That's Gregg Marshall offense that Danny works. The players have to work it.

That's probably why coach made them pass the ball so much on offense. He probably mandated sharing the ball, so they did (ineffectively throwing meaningless passes back and forth) and ultimately getting their half assed passes in so they don't get pulled. But as a result, we end up chucking a contested brick 23 footer as the shot clock is expiring.
                        There were a lot of WTF passes to be sure.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockAzs View Post
                          This team clearly hated each other
                          Taylor said the rumor that the players disliked each other is a false narrative. He said they had issues with the coaches but banded together as a brotherhood to finish the season.

Taylor on podcast ......Listen 6:50 - 7:20

Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; March 29, 2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• There is no better description for this month than "March Madness".
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

Taylor said the rumor that the players disliked each other is a false narrative. He said they had issues with the coaches but banded together as a brotherhood to finish the season.

Taylor on podcast ......Listen 6:50 - 7:20

Sounds like a few front runners. Some wanted to transfer last year after the slow start but then changed their mind after the strong finish.

This year started well but once they hit some adversity they decided to peace out.

Comment

• just wanna say that it's going to feel nice to have an experienced point guard again with gilbert. i feel like i haven't felt peace on that front since fred left. i'm not saying he's at fred's level (obviously) but it's gonna be nice to have an actual pg being a pg.

Comment

Working...
                                X