2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
    Y’all chill, TE was quoting lyrics from a song, Willis just finished them for him, nothing to see here. Lol
    I’m so old...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      The Sunflower has a great history of reporting stories and backing them up with cold, hard facts..

lol
      It’s a student newspaper. With student writers and wanna-be reporters. They hunt for stories, interview, write and get the $h1t critiqued out of them, not just by their professors, but also anyone who cares to read their stories. I don’t expect much in the way of cold, hard facts from a student newspaper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        I've read several articles by the current sports writer for the Sunflower. He's better than many beat writers for Valley teams. He's looking for a journalism job out of college.

This would not be the first time someone said something in an interview that they didn't think would get published, and then denied it once it was published.

In weighing all the factors, I'm not going to eliminate the possibility of an accurate report that the person interviewed later denied. If Sunner just made that up, he has no future in journalism. That would end the career he's hoping for before he even has a chance to enter that career. I will guess that he has a recording of the interview.

Edit: I have not read the transcript.

I learned long ago that journalists have agendas. Sensationalism, viewers, clicks drive journalism. A corporate President stole $160,000 from an SEC-regulated limited partnership where I was the financial guy. He managed to get an article in the paper covering his ass by blaming me. He wrote a check on the LP, ran it through a brokerage where I was the Treasurer, moved it into a holding company where I was the Treasurer, then bought a bunch of stuff that I was told to put on the books, but it was all stuff at his house or titled to him.

I informed the owners and resigned. The Eagle interviewed the guy who stole the money because they heard there were some financial irregularities. He reported that there was someone in accounting who had left the company and he was certain the problem had been resolved. That got several articles in the paper with LARGE headlines. that was the end of my accounting career.

That company filed for bankruptcy two months later. The bankruptcy judge denied their restructuring plan and ordered their assets sold to pay creditors. Of the 5 people on the Executive Committee who made business decisions, I was the only one not pursued by the Feds for the next 10 years.

Journalists love sensationalism. It sells. I've been on the wrong end.
        No wonder your a little grouchy sometimes. That made me mad just reading it!

Comment

• Or Markus regretted what he said . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
            Or Markus regretted what he said . . .
            Most likely

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

No wonder your a little grouchy sometimes. That made me mad just reading it!
              I hear ya’, I was reading ‘angry’!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                Or Markus regretted what he said . . .
                or he said "kids today" as a generality

Comment

• I don’t get how not one of the people who raised libel issues, accusations of “journalistic sensationalism”, and trashing a “student newspaper “ as trash, have come back and apologized for that. Posts on social media by current and previous players, and others are out there to form opinions of the reporter and paper - but it doesn’t seem like anyone is interested in restoring those people’s credibility.

Comment

• While I can sympathize with the writer, it's just like apologize in the Journo World:

"The accusation is on Page 1. The apology is on Page 10."
                    The Assman

Comment

• The reporter released the full transcript on twitter.

I've dealt wtih the press for 25 years and have never been misquoted by local, state and Federal meida.

You have to know that unless you set up parameters of your discussion like off-the-record, on background, attributed to a source that describes you but doesn't name you, everything you say can be quoted.

Comment

• At first I was glad we'd have a little more insight to what players, coaches, family, friends, were thinking during odd times like this, thanks to social media. I'm eating a full plate of "be careful what you wish for", because I now wish everyone on twitter would just stfu with the petty tweets, retweets, and whatever else, and move on lol... Can't wait for something positive to talk about.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            This from a kid who could have taken a much different stance. Good on CJ.

Comment

• I’m glad his career ended up well.

I’ll never forget seeing that video of him, literally, kissing the rim of the jump.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                                I’m glad his career ended up well.

I’ll never forget seeing that video of him, literally, kissing the rim of the jump.
                                Yup would have been interesting to see him stick around. His was the rare academic case. He seemed to be much more rounded the few times I watched him this year

Comment

Working...
                                X