2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Duff and Smaj weren't exactly successful in late clock situations IMO. That doesn't carry any water for me. What he did say regarding upper class leadership has a lot of merit.
    Actually the data says otherwise. Insanely good in crunch time.

Comment

• I’m tired of all these kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussDaBus View Post
        I emailed him and left him a message and never got a reply on either. I just assumed it was because I am a nobody compared to the players and staff but I was very frustrated because it was just the principle of it all. The author is very young and if he wants to continue in journalism I felt he needed to know that it was wrong.
        Ahh he's just practicing for that CNN internship he's hoping for.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Comment

• Hmmm he said he said I guess.

Comment

• The way I read it, Markis said that everyone comes to college out of high school with a "me, me, me" mentality--the classic big fish in a small pond moving to a bigger pond thing--but then quickly realizes that's not the way it works.

The Sunflower writer took that to mean Markis was saying all the players still have a "me, me, me" mentality, which isn't what Markis was saying. The problem is, the Sunflower author based his entire article on that premise, so there's nothing else in the article that would explain the troubles.

I've never been a journalist, but I've been a lawyer for a while. A classic mistake a young lawyer will make is thinking he or she got some damning testimony in a deposition and gets so excited that the lawyer totally forgets to ask all the other possible questions, only to later read the transcript and see the witness didn't actually say what the lawyer thought they said. Looks like here this guy got this transcript of an interview with Markis where he thought Markis had given him good material, but when I read the transcript it looks like he didn't really get ****.
              Last edited by rjl; March 20, 2020, 09:50 PM.
              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• That makes the most sense.

Probably also saying that having basically no upperclassmen didn’t help kill that mentality out of them either.

I mean Jamie was a Senior, but he was in his second year heat just like everyone else.
                The Assman

Comment

• I've read several articles by the current sports writer for the Sunflower. He's better than many beat writers for Valley teams. He's looking for a journalism job out of college.

This would not be the first time someone said something in an interview that they didn't think would get published, and then denied it once it was published.

In weighing all the factors, I'm not going to eliminate the possibility of an accurate report that the person interviewed later denied. If Sunner just made that up, he has no future in journalism. That would end the career he's hoping for before he even has a chance to enter that career. I will guess that he has a recording of the interview.

Edit: I have not read the transcript.

I learned long ago that journalists have agendas. Sensationalism, viewers, clicks drive journalism. A corporate President stole $160,000 from an SEC-regulated limited partnership where I was the financial guy. He managed to get an article in the paper covering his ass by blaming me. He wrote a check on the LP, ran it through a brokerage where I was the Treasurer, moved it into a holding company where I was the Treasurer, then bought a bunch of stuff that I was told to put on the books, but it was all stuff at his house or titled to him.

I informed the owners and resigned. The Eagle interviewed the guy who stole the money because they heard there were some financial irregularities. He reported that there was someone in accounting who had left the company and he was certain the problem had been resolved. That got several articles in the paper with LARGE headlines. that was the end of my accounting career.

That company filed for bankruptcy two months later. The bankruptcy judge denied their restructuring plan and ordered their assets sold to pay creditors. Of the 5 people on the Executive Committee who made business decisions, I was the only one not pursued by the Feds for the next 10 years.

Journalists love sensationalism. It sells. I've been on the wrong end.
                  Last edited by Aargh; March 20, 2020, 10:30 PM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• 247 article on Burton's process of finding a new school. JB said the following:

"Now I am paying attention more to the coach’s personality, style of play, looking at the system, and I am watching film,” explained Burton. “I didn’t watch film in my recruitment the first time, I just trusted what the coaches said.”

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmyShockerFan View Post
                      https://247sports.com/college/basket...ats-145223043/

247 article on Burton's process of finding a new school. JB said the following:

"Now I am paying attention more to the coach’s personality, style of play, looking at the system, and I am watching film,” explained Burton. “I didn’t watch film in my recruitment the first time, I just trusted what the coaches said.”
                      Maybe he’s looking for an Austin Reaves situation where he’s allowed to shoot it every single possession.

Comment

• The more time goes on, the less sad I am feeling that he left.

I still wish him great luck.
                        The Assman

Comment

• Also in the article :

He continued, “I am also looking closely at player development. How guys have gotten better with their shooting percentages and bodies, stuff like that. I am taking a deeper and better approach this time around.”
                          You mean like every successful player at WSU?!?!
                          The Assman

Comment

• Also **** West Virginia!

If JB goes there, I raise hell to have him sit out, just like they did with Teddy.
                            The Assman

Comment

• JB is a one trick pony. He’ll have decent success at a mid major. He’ll get whipped around at any higher level.

One less selfish player on the team is fine by me.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                                Also **** West Virginia!

If JB goes there, I raise hell to have him sit out, just like they did with Teddy.
                                West Virginia plays a pretty slow tough game. I wonder how he thinks that’s much different from us. Also, Huggy isn’t exactly a friendly coddling type coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X