Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

Here were the Major Schools from last year and their respective # of transfers out:
    Team Transfers
    Alabama 4
    Arizona State 4
    Arizona 4
    Arkansas 5
    California 4
    Cincinnati 5
    East Carolina 8
    Florida 6
    Georgia 4
    Kansas 4
    Louisville 4
    Nebraska 7
    Oklahoma State 5
    Oregon State 5
    Pittsburgh 4
    St. John's 4
    TCU 7
    Texas A&M 6
    Texas Tech 4
    Tulsa 4
    USC 4
    Utah 8
    Washington State 6
    West Virginia 6
    Wichita State 5
    A+ post. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

Good sir,

Someone having a different opinion than you is something you will have to come to terms with throughout your life. I prefer my sports commentators to call it straight down the middle—no home-team bias. If I have the choice between Mitch Holthus or Curt Gowdy, I’m going Gowdy every day of the week and twice Sunday.

-An opinion
      No one calls it like you say. Goody was a national commentator employed by cbs, nbc, or abc. He wasn’t a voice of a team. Gus was here for less than 8 years before hevwent to the Chiefs. He was never a paid commentator. Weaver was the voice of the Dallas Cowboys before coming to Wichita u. He the became the voice of the Miami Dolphins after he left Wichita. M. K. has been here over 40 years. He knows more WSU history than anyone on here. In this case you are in over your head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

No one calls it like you say. Goody was a national commentator employed by cbs, nbc, or abc. He wasn’t a voice of a team. Gus was here for 8 years before hevwent to the Chiefs. He was never a paid commentator. Weaver was the voice of the Dallas Cowboys before coming to Wichita u. He the became the voice of the Miami Dolphins. Mark has been here over 40 years. He knows more WSU history than anyone on here. In this case you are in over your head.
        Did I ever say he didn’t know a lot about Wichita State? And lol Gowdy was the voice of the Sox. You’re in over your head.

Comment

• Comment

Can’t stand the guy, but to each their own. God Bless WU!!
            Interesting take...I happen to like him, but I can see where some would not. However, I'm always in my car when the Bill Self show is on and THERE would be a boatload of tough questions, and on the last show? " What are your gifts for your granddaughter, Coach?" (btw...can't stand KU...bad car timing...) So Kennedy is no different than others...

Comment

• Look, I am sure WichitaStateGuy is an ardent fan of the Shockers as the rest of us. I am going to tread lightly for now regarding the tenor Mike Kennedy has been portrayed by WSG. Mike graduated from WSU and began his Hall-Of-Fame broadcasting career soon after. It took him to WSU near the end of the 1970's where he has teamed with Dave Dahl ever sense. I have had the pleasure to call Mike a good personal and professional friend since about 1981, so I am a bit biased when it comes to him (not that Mike needs any help from me to fight any battles). Is Mike perfect? No. I will challenge anyone who has heard basketball, football, baseball, volleyball and yes even golf to find a better broadcaster. What I mean by that is a broadcaster who will paint the picture in your mind (be mindful that we are talking about radio broadcasting). I have heard many more famous broadcasters than Mike and I am not always sure where the player is on the court, field, etc... Mike has that ability to bring the action to light in the minds of the listener and have them know where the action happened and why. I have seen how he prepares and you would not believe what goes into his preparation for an event. He once told me he only uses about 10% of what he prepares for. That is how he comes across as knowledgeable as he is. Plus, he has a memory like a steel trap. As for his allegiance to WSU, it is simple. First of all prior to the current state of how the broadcast rights are handled with the universities, Mike's name was specifically mentioned in the local radio stations contracts with WSU. In other words, Mike goes with the radio station who has the rights to broadcast Shocker sports. There is that unspoken allegiance for Mike to be an "agent" if you will of WSU. Now, in the current state of how broadcast rights are distributed through a third party, Mike is even further in the "agent" role as it pertains to WSU. His job is to do the play-by-play and respond to news around the program as an "agent" of the university. He has to work with many levels of leadership at WSU and can't compromise his role. Right, wrong or indifferent Mike has a role as an agent of the university and does it quite well, if you understand what that role is. FYI, he is in at least 4 Hall-Of-Fames that I am aware with. As far as Mike away from the microphone, he is extremely humble and cares about people. I hope WichitaStateGuy and any other poster takes this into consideration when they consider how to form an opinion on Mike.

As my respected poster ShockRef would say...That Is All.

Comment

Did I ever say he didn’t know a lot about Wichita State? And lol Gowdy was the voice of the Sox. You’re in over your head.
                and Gowdy was BRUTAL...YOU are in over your head if you think THAT hack was an announcer of note...Good Lord....

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                  Look, I am sure WichitaStateGuy is an ardent fan of the Shockers as the rest of us. I am going to tread lightly for now regarding the tenor Mike Kennedy has been portrayed by WSG. Mike graduated from WSU and began his Hall-Of-Fame broadcasting career soon after. It took him to WSU near the end of the 1970's where he has teamed with Dave Dahl ever sense. I have had the pleasure to call Mike a good personal and professional friend since about 1981, so I am a bit biased when it comes to him (not that Mike needs any help from me to fight any battles). Is Mike perfect? No. I will challenge anyone who has heard basketball, football, baseball, volleyball and yes even golf to find a better broadcaster. What I mean by that is a broadcaster who will paint the picture in your mind (be mindful that we are talking about radio broadcasting). I have heard many more famous broadcasters than Mike and I am not always sure where the player is on the court, field, etc... Mike has that ability to bring the action to light in the minds of the listener and have them know where the action happened and why. I have seen how he prepares and you would not believe what goes into his preparation for an event. He once told me he only uses about 10% of what he prepares for. That is how he comes across as knowledgeable as he is. Plus, he has a memory like a steel trap. As for his allegiance to WSU, it is simple. First of all prior to the current state of how the broadcast rights are handled with the universities, Mike's name was specifically mentioned in the local radio stations contracts with WSU. In other words, Mike goes with the radio station who has the rights to broadcast Shocker sports. There is that unspoken allegiance for Mike to be an "agent" if you will of WSU. Now, in the current state of how broadcast rights are distributed through a third party, Mike is even further in the "agent" role as it pertains to WSU. His job is to do the play-by-play and respond to news around the program as an "agent" of the university. He has to work with many levels of leadership at WSU and can't compromise his role. Right, wrong or indifferent Mike has a role as an agent of the university and does it quite well, if you understand what that role is. FYI, he is in at least 4 Hall-Of-Fames that I am aware with. As far as Mike away from the microphone, he is extremely humble and cares about people. I hope WichitaStateGuy and any other poster takes this into consideration when they consider how to form an opinion on Mike.

As my respected poster ShockRef would say...That Is All.
                  I very much appreciate this post. Mike is a nice man—I go to church with him. Just like my biscuit buttered a different way.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

and Gowdy was BRUTAL...YOU are in over your head if you think THAT hack was an announcer of note...Good Lord....
                    Gowdy was great! Can we at least agree that Scully was overrated?

Comment

“You serious Clark?”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

You’ve mentioned Scully. I never listened to his Dodger broadcast. Only his national tv telecast. I never to Gowdy in his Sox broadcast. Only his national telecast. You can’t equate their broadcasts for their teams to their national telecasts. Mike, Mitch, etc. have only been voices of their teams and the broadcasters you’ve mentioned had bias’s too.

Comment

• Is this a shocker transfer thread or favorite announcer thread? For God sakes WGAF if you like this announcer or that??? Is Dex staying or going????

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Seems like you are, Mike.
                            No, I’m Darren Boatright* remember?

*not Darren Boatright
                            Last edited by pie n eye; March 15, 2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

No, I’m Darren Boatright* remember?

*not Darren Boatright
                              You're right. I can't keep your cast of sunshine pumpers straight.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post

I get tired of hearing people make this argument. In WW2, we (the US) lost nearly 420,000 people. It could have been said, at a point very early in the war, that only 100 people have died, stop freaking out. It’s just such a stupid thing to say. Look at what’s happening, and understand that experts dealing in areas of public health and infectious disease might have a better understanding than you.
                                Right now there simply isn't enough data to make a realistic prediction of how many people in the US might eventually contract the corona virus. "I do not know and cannot even guess."
                                - Dr. Stanley Perlman, (ASM) Iowa University, 3/15/20 18:30

Just relax and don't panic would be the wisest thing to do. That's easier said than done with no NCAA cage action to enjoy...

Comment

Working...
                                X