No announcement yet.

2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone on the current roster should be given the opportunity to stay and grow with the program. But, they also need to understand that it is HCGM's program and he is going to run it his way. They won't be able to push their way in to more minutes just because they think they are the next Lebron James. HCGM is definitely not an easy person to work / play for, but in the end he has proven that the way he operates his program works and he has been highly successful. Buy in or get out of the way, IMO.

Comment

• The pool of players willing to accept this kind of coaching is small. The subset of that pool willing to come to Wichita is even smaller. I hope I am wrong but I feel that others leaving will set the program back big time.
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Bring back Mike Cohen!
        Kick 'em square in the grapes! (that can be very painful)

Comment

• [QUOTE=Veritas;n1228391
          If DD leaves, it will seem like the team is making a Jody Adams type of team statement, but seemingly without the AD involvement. Or is it without? The AD was at the post Houston practice at HCGM’s request.

Is the virus now gone, or does it run deeper?

[/QUOTE]

Dexter has a good head on his shoulders. I see him as being sad because he lost some friends but he knows where the line is for behavior and how the system works. GM showed Dexter a lot of "grace" during December and January and this has to mean something to him. I just don't see him as walking away but I could be wrong. I would have said the same thing about JB though, so I will wait and see what happens.

The ES story ended in a bitter divorce that had most likely been building up for a long time. Eric had been "talking back" to coaches as early as the UCONN game, and while I hoped things were getting better, it obviously wasn't.

We probably won't ever know all of what has gone on but we need more juniors and Seniors in this program that are vocal leaders. Maybe I'm totally wrong and kids have totally changed in the last 10 years and GM will never be able to catch that spark again, but I don't think that is true. Next week will most likely give us some clarity.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
            The pool of players willing to accept this kind of coaching is small. The subset of that pool willing to come to Wichita is even smaller. I hope I am wrong but I feel that others leaving will set the program back big time.
            I agree with this statement. Perception of a program with a problem whether it exists or not will further shrink the pool. It's amazing to me that we have two different perspectives by the fathers of two of our players this past year. On the one hand we have ES dad talking about how the coaching staff beat down the leader of the team and that individual stating that HCGM and he didn't get along. On the other side we have a player that by all accounts was set to transfer and talked to HCGM and stayed. This players father said HCGM told his son what needed to happen and this father said it was what his son needed to hear and thanked HCGM. So are there two HCGM's running around out there or is it just perception by two different camps.

Comment

• Too much that we don't know. Don't know if those two kids were told different things or were told the same things or what. Dunno if the second player is staying for that matter

Comment

• So refreshing to read what Tyson’s Etienne wrote.

Comment

• JB to ECU? https://247sports.com/college/east-c...ton-145033523/

Comment

• Shockernet: The death rate for Coronavirus is likely way lower than what we’re seeing now. Only 6k or so have died worldwide. Stop freaking out.

Also Shockernet: PLAYERS. ARE. TRANSFERRING.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                      Shockernet: The death rate for Coronavirus is likely way lower than what we’re seeing now. Only 6k or so have died worldwide. Stop freaking out.

Is there anything at WSU that can happen that you would ever cast a frown upon? I guess we should all be pretty happy about the current state of affairs.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I think coach Eric Wedge definitively showed that it's in everybody's best interest to turn over guys without the right mindset and/or skillset. Even to the extent of having a short roster, it's just better for the school, the coaches, and the players. There will be short term pain, but at least the team will have a consistent team-first mindset.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                          Shockernet: The death rate for Coronavirus is likely way lower than what we’re seeing now. Only 6k or so have died worldwide. Stop freaking out.

I get tired of hearing people make this argument. In WW2, we (the US) lost nearly 420,000 people. It could have been said, at a point very early in the war, that only 100 people have died, stop freaking out. It’s just such a stupid thing to say. Look at what’s happening, and understand that experts dealing in areas of public health and infectious disease might have a better understanding than you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            I think coach Eric Wedge definitively showed that it's in everybody's best interest to turn over guys without the right mindset and/or skillset. Even to the extent of having a short roster, it's just better for the school, the coaches, and the players. There will be short term pain, but at least the team will have a consistent team-first mindset.
                            I believe have Wedge and Marshall continue to build a relationship will bet good for both programs. They can help bounce ideas off each other and maybe balance each other out some.

They both have similar beliefs around culture and mindset, and building a roster and a program that reflects that. Maybe they can even cross examine potential recruits for each other and see if they belief they have what it takes to be a Shocker.
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              I think coach Eric Wedge definitively showed that it's in everybody's best interest to turn over guys without the right mindset and/or skillset. Even to the extent of having a short roster, it's just better for the school, the coaches, and the players. There will be short term pain, but at least the team will have a consistent team-first mindset.
                              Eric is in his first year, Gregg is not. This should not be happening in year 13.
                              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post

Eric is in his first year, Gregg is not. This should not be happening in year 13.
                                It took a lot of bad luck coupled with some bad decisions for WSU to end up in the position they are in.

Injures, Players leaving early for the NBA, Transfers, etc. It all culminated in having such a young roster all at once.

Granted, Marshall has always been about winning in the current season and worrying about next season, next season. That has it's pros and it's cons, as we are witnessing.

As we see, having such a young roster isn't only not optimal for experience on the court, but for setting the mindset and culture in the locker room. Without older guys to carry on the touch from guys before them, that culture and mindset can flame out.

It sucks to be in this situation, but WSU's arguable most talent-filled player fits the culture and mindset to a T. I know he is young, but hopefully he can be a true leader and not just one in name only.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X