No announcement yet.

Jaime Echenique--WSU Rim Protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on NCAA make this sad story a redemption story and let the seniors come back if they want.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      I'd say it's 50-50 that the NCAA does something
      80-20 they‘ll do something... anyone’s guess what it might be. Higher level seniors like Jamie have aspirations to play pro ball at some level. Does he take a chance at injury or go make money? New Mexico St. (Jans) won 19 straight with 5 seniors. Difficult decision for coach and player. Can’t think the NCAA would allow 5 players another year, but guess they could... depends on how many Jans signed in the fall.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think another year for Jamie here and he could get some NBA looks
        The Assman

Comment

Jeff *******

@GoodmanHoops
          ·
          4h
          Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton: “Seniors, if they want, should have another year. Special permission on scholarship numbers for an unprecedented circumstance. Next year only.”

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

80-20 they‘ll do something... anyone’s guess what it might be. Higher level seniors like Jamie have aspirations to play pro ball at some level. Does he take a chance at injury or go make money? New Mexico St. (Jans) won 19 straight with 5 seniors. Difficult decision for coach and player. Can’t think the NCAA would allow 5 players another year, but guess they could... depends on how many Jans signed in the fall.
            My guess is they COULD add the number of players you can have on the roster as long as you redshirt the same number of players as seniors you bring back. That way the same number of players are actually available to play as what you had this year.

That comes with it's own issues. Like hoping you have enough players willing to redshirt.

Or they could just let this years seniors ALL enter the transfer portal if there isnt room on their current team. And grant them one more year if they choose to and if another school wants them.

Again, plenty of possible issues with that. And would suck to lose those players to other teams.

Who knows. Uncharted territory. We will see what happens
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              Jeff *******

@GoodmanHoops
              ·
              4h
              Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton: “Seniors, if they want, should have another year. Special permission on scholarship numbers for an unprecedented circumstance. Next year only.”
              Something should be done. But gotta be fair also. Would be hard just to add scholarships for 1 year as it would give an unfair advantage if all players are made available. Teams with lots of seniors this year would have a huge advantage next year. That's why I figure you maybe make the redshirt idea. You can keep the seniors, but an equal number of non-seniors need to redshirt. To keep things fair to teams that didnt have seniors...or very many of them....this year.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

If the KU Seniors could stay, instead of going to the NBA, they wouldn't have to take a cut in pay.

Comment

What are the rules for being a 5th year senior? Do you have to be at a 4-year school for the previous 4 years? In other words, would they be able to play 2 years at a juco and 2 years at a D-1 school and still be able to play a 5th year at that school? Or would it have to be a different school? I was trying to see how this would work out for JE.

Comment

So.... UNI is still on the bubble then?
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Although another year of Jamie would be awesome. I can’t bear the thought of having to watch that human bulldozer at Cincinnati free throw his way to victory the last 4 min of every game next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post
                        Although another year of Jamie would be awesome. I can’t bear the thought of having to watch that human bulldozer at Cincinnati free throw his way to victory the last 4 min of every game next year.
                        He might not want to come back. Would be super cool to have another year of Jaime though.

Comment

This would not be as bad as paying players for their image and likeness, but it would be messy. First, an extra year would probably require they take walkon status if the team already had 13 commitments for next year. You wouldn't really want scholarships getting yanked to give them to players who had graduated. It would REALLY mess up grad transfers.

The inequities would cause protests. We'd get to keep 1 player, but a very important player, or would JE rather go make a living? Memphis would get, pretty much nothing. Other schools with Sr-loaded teams would have a HUGE advantage if their Sr's were any good.

Speaking of Memphis - selling out for one year and a run at a Natty really worked out poorly for them, and they're going to get hit with penalties. Hardaway may have set a record for the quickest ever screw job for a basketball program.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            This would not be as bad as paying players for their image and likeness, but it would be messy. First, an extra year would probably require they take walkon status if the team already had 13 commitments for next year. You wouldn't really want scholarships getting yanked to give them to players who had graduated. It would REALLY mess up grad transfers.

The inequities would cause protests. We'd get to keep 1 player, but a very important player, or would JE rather go make a living? Memphjs would get, pretty much nothing. Other schools with Sr-loaded teams would have a HUGE advantage if their Sr's were any good.
                            I would seriously doubt the number of seniors would be an issue as the number most likely would be 1 or 2.

1) Raise the number of non-walk-ons to 14, allowing for 1 returning senior and 1 red-shirt that could take off the shirt due to an injury of another player.

2) And/or, raise the number of non-walk-ons to 15, allowing for 2 seniors and must have 2 red-shirts that could not take the shirt off due to an injury of another player unless there were 2 player injuries or more.

3) Injuries must be severe enough that it would cover at least 2 months or less if through the end of the season and injured player must stay out at least the 2 months or through the end of the season if less. If the injured player comes back, the RS becomes ineligible for play.

4) Teams with no returning seniors could add an extra red-shirt (13+1 RS). RS could only play do to the same type of injury rules as in #1.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Something should be done. But gotta be fair also. Would be hard just to add scholarships for 1 year as it would give an unfair advantage if all players are made available. Teams with lots of seniors this year would have a huge advantage next year. That's why I figure you maybe make the redshirt idea. You can keep the seniors, but an equal number of non-seniors need to redshirt. To keep things fair to teams that didnt have seniors...or very many of them....this year.

Is it really an unfair advantage? If you limit the exception to the number of players on the current roster + signed LOIs it will minimize it. How many teams play all 13 scholarship players they have now? If a team ends up with 18 players or something, it will work out on it's own. Someone will transfer. Just make transfers immediately eligible also.

Comment

He is a great Shocker, and a true class act. My heart goes out to having to end his college career like this. I know we will follow him in his pro career, wherever it maybe.
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X