No announcement yet.

Jaime Echenique--WSU Rim Protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably decent chance JE wants to start making some good money.

Comment

Just listened to Bruce and Shane make a point about basketball seniors getting another year of eligibility. The sentiment is obviously admirable. However, which schools should get to have seniors come back? Iowa State legitimately had its season end on Wednesday night. K-State extended its season by another day but was probably going to be closing up shop after another game. Why should seniors of those teams and teams like that get another full season of eligibility?

I was one of those who, like most, want to see seniors get their due...but after hearing that reasoning, it kinda makes sense. Sports teach life lessons, and one of those lessons might be that sometimes, life isn't fair.
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Just listened to Bruce and Shane make a point about basketball seniors getting another year of eligibility. The sentiment is obviously admirable. However, which schools should get to have seniors come back? Iowa State legitimately had its season end on Wednesday night. K-State extended its season by another day but was probably going to be closing up shop after another game. Why should seniors of those teams and teams like that get another full season of eligibility?

I was one of those who, like most, want to see seniors get their due...but after hearing that reasoning, it kinda makes sense. Sports teach life lessons, and one of those lessons might be that sometimes, life isn't fair.
        Eh .. that's a pretty weak argument against it IMO. You are right .. life isn't fair. This is a crazy circumstance that in my opinion deserves a blanket exception. If the argument you use is "well some people might benefit that shouldn't so no one should benefit" that's a pretty poor decision.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

True, life isn’t fair...I guess I don’t see the harm in allowing a one time exception. Will there be logistical issues? Sure. With that being said, you can’t tell me a bunch of smart people can’t come to a reasonable solution. Let the coaches vote and majority rules.

Comment

Maybe Jamie can see in the future....

He was adamant about wanting to RS and about how we’d have a MUCH better chance of making it next season.

It’s like he knew something all along!! What else are you hiding from us JE??
            The Assman

Comment

Spring sports getting another year. Still hope for Jaime

Comment

It's probably a bad idea, but in this era of snowflakes,I could see it happening

Comment

While for Spring sports it make good sense, since they jumped the shark and cancelled 75+% of the season, the more I think about it for Winter sports, it just becomes a mess (a lot of players already eliminated, how many waivers, etc.).

The NCAA and these conferences made their decisions and will have to own them. That might mean telling kids they are SOL.
                  The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    It's probably a bad idea, but in this era of snowflakes,I could see it happening
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

85% of seniors are on teams with no shot at the NCAA. For most of them, they're already played a full season and would get just a couple post season games.

Extending eligibility for all seniors would then cut down on scholarships for JuCo transfers and more importantly freshman, for all teams. Is it fair to rob the scholarship of a freshman at Evansville because a senior at Bradley missed their shot at the NCAA tournament?

Even if we are talking a limited rollout, you have 5th year transfers and guys who already have a medical redshirt. Are we going to give them an extra special exemption?

Lastly, I think Jaime has the best shot of any big we have had under Marshall to make it to the next level. He also might have to prepare to play for Colombia in the Olympics even if that gets canceled if they take their time. Either way, he may have other obligations, and if the NBA has a contract for him, G-League, 2-way, whatever he needs to look out for himself. Opportunities like that don't come twice.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                        85% of seniors are on teams with no shot at the NCAA. For most of them, they're already played a full season and would get just a couple post season games.

Extending eligibility for all seniors would then cut down on scholarships for JuCo transfers and more importantly freshman, for all teams. Is it fair to rob the scholarship of a freshman at Evansville because a senior at Bradley missed their shot at the NCAA tournament?

Even if we are talking a limited rollout, you have 5th year transfers and guys who already have a medical redshirt. Are we going to give them an extra special exemption?

Lastly, I think Jaime has the best shot of any big we have had under Marshall to make it to the next level. He also might have to prepare to play for Colombia in the Olympics even if that gets canceled if they take their time. Either way, he may have other obligations, and if the NBA has a contract for him, G-League, 2-way, whatever he needs to look out for himself. Opportunities like that don't come twice.
                        The extra year would have to include the full season or it makes no sense and they would have to increase the number of scholarships to accomodate the seniors who wish for the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The extra year would have to include the full season or it makes no sense and they would have to increase the number of scholarships to accomodate the seniors who wish for the experience.
                          Seniors may get a waiver for one year, but it doesn't mean the team they were on will welcome them back. They may have to use the portal.

A lot of seniors will just go on their way and be done with college ball (and college). Some may find it hard to find a team. Others will go (or try to go) pro here. Not sure how international basketball is fairing now. May be little to none playing. Would a player like Jamie rather go to a questionable Europe or far eastern league or come back to a WSU type team?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Seniors may get a waiver for one year, but it doesn't mean the team they were on will welcome them back. They may have to use the portal.

A lot of seniors will just go on their way and be done with college ball (and college). Some may find it hard to find a team. Others will go (or try to go) pro here. Not sure how international basketball is fairing now. May be little to none playing. Would a player like Jamie rather go to a questionable Europe or far eastern league or come back to a WSU type team?
                            Well, if they just get waivers and teams have to still fit them into 13 scholarships, I guess WSU has room now..... Yay.....?
                            The Assman

Comment

Hey, plenty of scholarships for Jaime if he wants one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                                Hey, plenty of scholarships for Jaime if he wants one now.
                                He may not now.

Comment

Working...
                                X