Grant Sherfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Regardless of what happens, our players need to drop the drama and develop some thicker skin with regards to fans, social media and coaching. D1 sports is a tough business and not for everyone.
    I’m not sure if you are Al or Dan from Texas. Lol. However, when a grown up seems to get his/her “jollies” (too much of it in your case from what I see) from telling 18 year old kids off and spending most of his/her time seemingly enjoying their life’s low points, it makes me wonder how they are doing with their own life. Sometimes, empathy may be a good character trait to add to ones own life. A business for some but I don’t know if business applies to our players, especially our Freshmen players at this time of their lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

Ha! That was supposed to be touche'.
      Please excuse my hasty rejoinder.

It initially appeared you were defending the integrity of Messrs ChickenHawk Dreiling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I’m not sure if you are Al or Dan from Texas. Lol. However, when a grown up seems to get his/her “jollies” (too much of it in your case from what I see) from telling 18 year old kids off and spending most of his/her time seemingly enjoying their life’s low points, it makes me wonder how they are doing with their own life. Sometimes, empathy may be a good character trait to add to ones own life. A business for some but I don’t know if business applies to our players, especially our Freshmen players at this time of their lives.
        D1 is business especially at schools that pay coaches millions of dollars to win. Like it or not, players aren’t gonna get coddled like you seem to think they need. I’ll give you a pass for the rest of your post.

Comment

• We'll see if he stays, I'm glad he is.......for now. But I'll wait to be elated when I see him on the roster next season. A lot can happen in the next 6 months and quitting now simply doesn't make any sense.

Comment

• This thread was created when someone on twitter asked if there was any truth to the rumor that Grant Sherfield had quit the team. A day later, DJShocker10 said that one of his sources said that Sherfield was still with the team. So the original tweet that got this thread going turned out to be false. Take away that one tweet and this thread would never exist. This is a self-perpetuating thread.

Comment

• not exactly

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Please excuse my hasty rejoinder.

It initially appeared you were defending the integrity of Messrs ChickenHawk Dreiling.
                No worries.

Comment

• Twitter, an even faster way to spread rumors on the Net than before it existed.

The Shox were never going to have a player on the MVC All-Valley team because no Fr were getting enough playing time to get consideration. Then we moved to a much tougher conference and 2 out of 3 years multiple Fr have been forced to be starters. That's got to be pretty tough for players in their first D1 year (and all the adjustments that go along with the change to college from HS).

Then there are the 3 worst words in D1 basketball - "Freshman point guard".

Fernandez is looking like the PG of the future. TE is looking like the SG of the future. HS "combo" guards don't tend to turn into high major PG's when they get to college. Holland, Taylor, Henderson, and Frankamp are examples. They were all "supposed" to be D1 PG's. They all turned out to be respectable SG's.

GS probably thought he had a shot at the NBA, but because of his size, it would have to be as a PG, not a SG. GS is not having the kind of year he envisioned in his first year in D1.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                    When youre pushing a team hard to win as 3G does, some of this is inevitable. It is disappointing though.
                    Yea and? If the drive to win is too much please don't let the door smack your ass on the way out. Find me a college coach - at any level - who doesn't push kids to win and I'll show you a program that does exactly what their coach is teaching.....they don't win.

They all push to win. They're competitors. Wins put food on the table. Damn. We are all so soft now. This place doesn't even message board angry anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      Twitter, an even faster way to spread rumors on the Net than before it existed.

The Shox were never going to have a player on the MVC All-Valley team because no Fr were getting enough playing time to get consideration. Then we moved to a much tougher conference and 2 out of 3 years multiple Fr have been forced to be starters. That's got to be pretty tough for players in their first D1 year (and all the adjustments that go along with the change to college from HS).

Then there are the 3 worst words in D1 basketball - "Freshman point guard".

Fernandez is looking like the PG of the future. TE is looking like the SG of the future. HS "combo" guards don't tend to turn into high major PG's when they get to college. Holland, Taylor, Henderson, and Frankamp are examples. They were all "supposed" to be D1 PG's. They all turned out to be respectable SG's.

GS probably thought he had a shot at the NBA, but because of his size, it would have to be as a PG, not a SG. GS is not having the kind of year he envisioned in his first year in D1.
                      No mention of the most recent combo guard prior to GS - Landry Shamet?? Wouldn't fit the narrative....

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                        This thread was created when someone on twitter asked if there was any truth to the rumor that Grant Sherfield had quit the team. A day later, DJShocker10 said that one of his sources said that Sherfield was still with the team. So the original tweet that got this thread going turned out to be false. Take away that one tweet and this thread would never exist. This is a self-perpetuating thread.
                        Huh?

Except for the info that came out that said Grant and Marshall had a heated practice, Grant quit, and then came back later. That doesn't sound like something that somebody would make up.

A lot of smoke went up in the air today. Maybe we don't know the exact details, but stuff definitely went down. Only an ignorant person burying their head in the sand would scoff at this. It's not always rainbows and unicorns around here like so many want to believe.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Huh?

Except for the info that came out that said Grant and Marshall had a heated practice, Grant quit, and then came back later. That doesn't sound like something that somebody would make up.

A lot of smoke went up in the air today. Maybe we don't know the exact details, but stuff definitely went down. Only an ignorant person burying their head in the sand would scoff at this. It's not always rainbows and unicorns around here like so many want to believe.
                          Is there a link for that info? The only think I've seen is on here where someone said they heard he quit and then changed his mind. The only direct thing I've seen was someone telling Taylor Eldridge on twitter about rumors that Sherfield quit the team. Taylor's response was that he remains on the team.

I'm not saying none of this didn't happen. Right now there isn't a written source giving all the details.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Is there a link for that info? The only think I've seen is on here where someone said they heard he quit and then changed his mind. The only direct thing I've seen was someone telling Taylor Eldridge on twitter about rumors that Sherfield quit the team. Taylor's response was that he remains on the team.

I'm not saying none of this didn't happen. Right now there isn't a written source giving all the details.
                            It is written on Shockernet - isn't that enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

No mention of the most recent combo guard prior to GS - Landry Shamet?? Wouldn't fit the narrative....
                              Would absolutely fit the narrative. Shamet had enough talent to be able to play out of position and still be an all-conference type of player. When he got to the NBA, and played at his proper position, he was on the all-rookie team, which is a lot more than all-conference when playing out of position.

Baker was an all-conference player at PG. He was an AA and NBA player at SG.

Reaves was supposed to be the PG when he left. He's got absolutely no PG duties at OU.

The actual point guards Marshall has recruited since FVV can be counted in one finger. Marshall loves combo guards that he thinks he can turn into PG's. I can see the difficulty of recruiting PG's when VanVleet and Baker were on the roster. Maybe by the time they were Juniors there may have been actual PG's wanting to take a couple of years to learn from them and then take over the program.

At that time in the program, Marshall was recruiting athletic SG's who were racking up great offensive numbers in HS. None of them turned out to be capable PG's in D1. Burton has the Fr assist record because there were no PG's in the So, Jr, or Sr classes when he got here. Burton's second year seems to be showing that he's got that record not because he's a great PG. The only other option is that Marshall is struggl9ing to keep good PG's in the system.

Comment

• I remember watching Sherfield play PG in the pre-season scrimmage, I thought he spent too much time dribbling back and forth without challenging the D.

That was when he was playing against WSU's second-line young D. I don't see much change in his approach now that the season is underway and he's facing more experienced defenders. Playing as a PG seems to be playing to his weaknesses instead of his strengths. Playing as a SG puts him at the absolute logjam at SG.

Dennis seems more likely to be a 2/3 combo player instead of a 3/4 combo. The class imbalance and the position imbalance is not favorable to Sherfield.

Comment

Working...
                                X