No announcement yet.

Tyson Etienne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a feeling that some of the players who left weren't going to give Etienne a chance to take a shot if they thought they could get one off for themselves. That could have been what was behind some of Marshall's comments about the front and back of the shirt. If Etienne had taken a few more shots than he did, he may have been the leading scorer on the team, and that may have been an issue for some others on the team last year.

Perhaps the departures of a few players made it easier for Etienne to have the positive attitude he's shown.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'd like to see a count of wide open 3-pt airballs or even include 3-pt attempts that hit totally on the outside of the rim either left or right. If that happens, shouldn't coach define that as "not good shot selection," regardless how wide open it is? We have to lead the nation in this category.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        I'd like to see a count of wide open 3-pt airballs or even include 3-pt attempts that hit totally on the outside of the rim either left or right. If that happens, shouldn't coach define that as "not good shot selection," regardless how wide open it is? We have to lead the nation in this category.
        That has nothing to do with shot selection. That has to do with shot execution. If that's the case, then every team in America has poor shot selection.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

That has nothing to do with shot selection. That has to do with shot execution. If that's the case, then every team in America has poor shot selection.
          If you can't execute it, don't select it. Quibbling over words. This year's team certainly had more of those than usual, and probably more than any other team in D1 ball.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

If you can't execute it, don't select it. Quibbling over words. This year's team certainly had more of those than usual, and probably more than any other team in D1 ball.
            I don't know if anyone ranks teams by # of air balls but we were 209 / 350 in 3pt fg%

Comment

While Tyson did have some airballs I’m not sure his thread is the correct place to make this overall point. He was our most consistent three point shooter by far, especially on open looks.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

While Tyson did have some airballs I’m not sure his thread is the correct place to make this overall point. He was our most consistent three point shooter by far, especially on open looks.
                I think he is talking about the entire team

Comment

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

I think he is talking about the entire team
                  Agreed. I just thought there might be a better thread in which to bring it up/discuss it.

Comment

You have to really break it down into a 4 quadrant system

Good Shot Selection - Good Shot Execution : GSGE Offense is designed to do this. Take these every chance you can get

Good Shot Selection - Bad Shot Execution: GSBE: This happens, don't stop these shots as they will eventually move to GSGE

Bad Shot Selection - Good Shot Execution: BSGE: This is the no, no, no, no YES. You are flexible with these and as long as they don't move to BSBE

Bad Shot Selection - Bad Shot Execution: BSBE: This you get pulled for. These are inexcusable. If you are going to take a bad shot, you better make it.

Player examples

Etienne - Primarily in GSGE and GSBE from what I saw. He had some horrible bricks this year, but they were mostly in the flow of the offense and never really looked too forced

Dexter - Started the year in GSBE and BSBE and moved towards GSGE and BSGE towards the end of the year. Still took some questionable looks but he was hitting so you allow it

Burton - I'd say GSGE on Jump shots for the most part. BSGE and BSBE on his driving. A lot of forced driving

Stevenson - He was either GSGE/BSGE or BSBE on extreme streaks. Once he did the first BSBE you could count on 4 more after. That's why he had to get pulled quickly.

Sherfield - Generally i felt like the majority of were in the GSBE, BSGE and BSBE. There weren't a ton of times I really felt like he was taking a great shot and making it. He was good at making plays though.

Gonna toss in McDuffie on here. He's the ultimate example of BSGE. Soooo many no, no no no YES! shots with him. Those step backs ...

Overall point being for Etienne. He was probably the best overall when it came to shot selection IMO.

Comment

• Bottom line is we had too many guys that learned “the Shocker Way” playing with McDuffie and Samaje, which was a terrible example.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Comment

• Player..................3 Pt attempts.............3 Pt %
                          Stevenson............168.......................... ..30%
                          Etienne................160........................ ....39%
                          Dennis.................152........................ ....34%
                          Sherfield................79....................... .....30%
                          Wade....................68........................ ....32%
                          Burton...................63....................... .....38%

30% from 3 is the equivalent of 45% inside the arc. Of the 4 post players, Midtgaard had the worst % at 48%. There's been a lot of criticism of Midtgaard's inability to score. We averaged .96 points per shot attempt by Midtgaard and .90 points per 3-pt attempt by both Sherfield and Stevenson. This is not counting any points from FT's that may have resulted from the shot attempt.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Bottom line is we had too many guys that learned “the Shocker Way” playing with McDuffie and Samaje, which was a terrible example.
                            That's the bottom line? Sounds pretty scientific to me and by the data. That isn't the bottom line and you don't believe in personal responsibility at all, do you? Some (you) will blame them for something 10 years from now. LOL

Comment

• One side note to my post about TE above:

One player’s name that appeared near the top of several of the advanced and per 40 stats was Morris Udeze. I wasn’t expecting that.

Morris just could not stay on the court. He could not or would not stop fouling people

of course his FT struggles didn’t help either

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                                One side note to my post about TE above:

One player’s name that appeared near the top of several of the advanced and per 40 stats was Morris Udeze. I wasn’t expecting that.

Morris just could not stay on the court. He could not or would not stop fouling people

of course his FT struggles probably didn’t help his PT either
                                Ironically, he was really good at drawing charges, too.

The refs knew to have their whistles locked and loaded when he was on the court.
                                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                                X