No announcement yet.

Tyson Etienne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not many 6'2" SG's in the NBA. Etiernne may have a shot based on his attitude, work ethic, and shooting ability, but 6'5" SG's would shoot over him as if he wasn't there.

Ever wonder why Sherfield wanted to convert to a D1 PG out of Sunrise? Had that occurred to him in Jr. Hi instead of in his transformation from HS to D1, that may have worked out for him.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      Not many 6'2" SG's in the NBA. Etiernne may have a shot based on his attitude, work ethic, and shooting ability, but 6'5" SG's would shoot over him as if he wasn't there.

Ever wonder why Sherfield wanted to convert to a D1 PG out of Sunrise? Had that occurred to him in Jr. Hi instead of in his transformation from HS to D1, that may have worked out for him.
      CJ McCollum and Bradley Beal are 6'3 and Donovan Mitchell is 6'1. Thats 3 of the top 6 or 7 in the NBA right around Tysons height.

Comment

CJ could be a good comp for Tyson, if he could reach NBA potential.
        The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by bighouse View Post

CJ McCollum and Bradley Beal are 6'3 and Donovan Mitchell is 6'1. Thats 3 of the top 6 or 7 in the NBA right around Tysons height.
          always exceptions but height is only one factor. Tyson has had a great start to his college career and is a dependable 3 point shooter, but he has a lot to work on to get to the next level. Ball handling in traffic, mid range shooting, finishing at the rim, being better in transition, etc. Great guy, glad he’s on our team, but NBA chatter at this point is premature for him or anyone on our team.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            I like Tyson, but NBA projections on him or anyone else on the team is too much pressure and maybe even unrealistic. Not saying you are applying this pressure but I’ve seen similar type comments on his Twitter feed. These kids start thinking they’re NBA material when their game is far from NBA ready and it reflects on the college floor (see Dexter Dennis). Let the kid be a good college player and leader at WSU, whatever happens after that is gravy.
            Totally agree. The good thing about Tyson is that he has a good family support system that helps him stay grounded. No doubt that playing in the NBA is dream like it is for a lot of players, but this kid has shown so much more maturity that I am sure that he will keep grinding and perfecting his skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

always exceptions but height is only one factor. Tyson has had a great start to his college career and is a dependable 3 point shooter, but he has a lot to work on to get to the next level. Ball handling in traffic, mid range shooting, finishing at the rim, being better in transition, etc. Great guy, glad he’s on our team, but NBA chatter at this point is premature for him or anyone on our team.
              Come on Dan, that's what we do...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Why do you think that TE is only a shooting guard without any other skills? Fred often plays off of the ball when Lowry and he are in the game at the same time. He has other strengths when the ball is in other players hands. Sometimes Toronto puts the ball in Siakem's hands and Fred plays off of the ball waiting for a pass to catch and shoot a 3. If Etienne is too short to play a guard in the NBA, why is Fred able to play off of the ball at 6' (or shorter), while Lowry is playing at 6' (or shorter) too?

I have heard Fred's coach on several occasions (when asked about playing Fred in an unconventional role) refer to Fred as a "winner". I think that more NBA coaches, all the time, are thinking outside of the box, and not being confined to traditional NBA norms regarding how to design offense. More and more, forwards are being seen with the ball in their hands, during end of clock situations.

I think that Tyson will develop both on the ball skills, and off the ball skills which will work during the end of clock situations. With the 30 second clock, the NCAA players/coaches are becoming more like the NBA all of the time. I made a mistake in not thinking that Fred could play in the NBA when he came out and I won't think that way again.

Comment

I noticed there are more than a few 6'2" - 6-3" guys in the NBA who are listed as "point guards" who rarely play "point guard"

Seth Curry (Steph's brother) is listed as a point guard but I have not seen him play "point guard" in about 3 seasons. He is 6'1" or 6'2" at most

Avery Bradley ditto

Even our own Landry, who has good height at 6'4" is still listed as a "point guard" when he plays wing 98% of the time.

I see a lot teams now essentially playing three position basketball.

1. A Ball handler (who may or maynot even be a "guard")

2. Wings - three guys on the perimeter

3. A Big - for pick and roll / fade options
                  Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; March 24, 2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I don’t think Tyson’s height will keep him out of the NBA, he just has to get better at a lot of other things. He seems to have the mindset and work ethic, which are also crucial pieces. I personally thought Fred was NBA material after his Soph year. The way he could control the pace of a game and his ball handling were on another level.

Comment

I called it last November and got attacked for giving false hope...TE will be in the NBA but I think he is a 3-4 year player at WSU first. He is a warrior and a leader, and has the it factor, and I am thankful he is still a Shocker.

Comment

not impossible, but he's a tiny 2

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          not impossible, but he's a tiny 2
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Tyson's Incredible Freshman Season - He might have been better than we even thought.

PER 40 STAT

STEALS - 1.9 (2nd on team for those who average more than 7 minutes per game)

TURNOVERS - Only 1.4 (Lowest on team for those who averaged more than 7 minutes per game)

POINTS - 15.3 (4th on team)

ADVANCED

OFFENSE PER 100 POSSESSIONS - 4.6 (First on Team)

TS% - .588 (2nd behind Morris U.)

WIN SHARES - 3.3 (first on team)

OFFENSIVE WIN SHARES - 1.7 (First on team - JE was second)

DEFENSIVE WIN SHARES - 1.6 (4th on team)

SHOOTING

THREE - 38.8% (First on Team)

FT - 80% (2nd on team )

Damn, this dude was a freshman????

Comment

Tyson is a prototype Shocker that overcame all the departures with a solid positive attitude of belief still in the Marshall Plan. Let's just say nobody left and we found a key couple of key bigs. (Im' hoping Mr. Bilau is already to be one of them). We prolly would have been a top 25 team next Season? Dunno, but that matters not now. Get us 5-7 key recruits in here to join our cast of Shockers returning and we are back off to the races. TE will only keep improving, and the best is yet to come in his Shocker tenure. Many of us were hoping he would have been the one taking some of those shots that were being missed since he was our best shooter. He made the 3-pointer he did get to shoot and that was not a surprise at all.
                              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Just a couple of "ifs" for a potentially strong season next year.

"If" Alterique Gilbert shows up here
                                "If" Dennis can perform better with less drama in the locker room
                                "If" Bilau is closer to being a player than being a project

It's reasonable that all of those could happen without taking massive doses of Kool-Aid. Throw in Etienne with a summer to work on his game - I expect some areas where improvement is available were identified last season and that Etienne will go to work on those areas.

It's even possible that JaDun Michael could cover some minutes at SF and rotate Dennis to SG to give Etienne a break,

With that setup all Marshall would need to do is bring in some guys who can be role pl;ayers in their first year.

Anything past guys who could be role players in their first year would just be icing on the cake.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X