Wichita State (#23) vs Memphis (#21) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I saw the postgame press conference too and I thought Marshall looked agitated or something. Almost as if we lost the game. I agree it would be pretty frustrating. He never really expounded beyond 1 or 2 sentences for anything. Normally, he's in a better mood after a win. Especially a big win.
    Just watched it, and I didn't detect anything negative or edgy at all.

Okay, well he did get edgy when asked to "quantify" JB's impact. hahahaha
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
      Marshall definitely seemed jacked up, he wasn’t letting the reporters finish a question before answering. He didn’t strike me as any more or less informative or coach-speaky than .01.
      I think he was just slowly coming down off that adrenaline high you get from coaching a competitive game.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        1. Mike Miller is a good coach, but not good enough last night.
        Funny you say that. Late game TO when Memphis was closing, they showed the Memphis bench during the time out. You don't have to guess who was doing all the talking and who was sitting there with the clip board in his hand and never said a word. I'm just curious what Memphis fans think of it. ??? Is Mike Miller the coach and Penny is just the face of Memphis? Just weird. Maybe that's the norm, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Just watched it, and I didn't detect anything negative or edgy at all.

Okay, well he did get edgy when asked to "quantify" JB's impact. hahahaha
          He was Mr Happypants coming out onto the court for the post-game interview with Dave and Mike, and sounded plenty chipper during that interview. Maybe the local press in general just annoys him. Outside of a few solid pros like Taylor and Bruce (formerly), Wichita press has generally devolved into amateur hour sheet show. Lot of old blood has moved on and has been replaced by what seems like temp workers with a keyboard or a microphone.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
            Funny you say that. Late game TO when Memphis was closing, they showed the Memphis bench during the time out. You don't have to guess who was doing all the talking and who was sitting there with the clip board in his hand and never said a word. I'm just curious what Memphis fans think of it. ??? Is Mike Miller the coach and Penny is just the face of Memphis? Just weird. Maybe that's the norm, though.
            Penny is more than just the face. He is also the bankroll.

Too soon?

Comment

Whatever works for them. The AAC needs Memphis to be good. Now whether their approach is sustainable and they can stay out of NCAA jail remains to be seen.

Comment

All of the players are there because of Penny.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

All of the players are there because of Penny.
                  which is ironic because he doesn't coach them. Most players want to be coached up. Penny's guys think Penny somehow has a direct line to the NBA I guess.

Comment

• I listened to some of Memphis' post-game on Sirius. Their radio guys were kinda of aggressive in asking one of the players if he is going to work on not having so many turnovers etc. I thought it was a bit much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post

Thanks. I don't have a sub to the Eagle so I can't see that, but that's the one I want. I wonder why WSU doesn't post those to youtube like most P5,6,7 schools do.
                      They're on the Wichita Eagle's YouTube channel.

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall talks about beating Memphis

Wichita State players talk about beating Memphis

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                        I can be critical of players in the heat of the moment but let me say two things about players I've been critical of:

-JB has things to work on (court vision, decision making, etc), but he is capable of doing things on offense that no one else on the team can do. He had a couple of high level finishes. That right hand finger roll while fading away to the right was incredible.

-Grant Sherfield: I still think the ball sticks in his hands during ball screen continuity, but I understand why Gregg went to it. Memphis was triple switching all of our set plays and completely blowing them up. Gregg wanted the ball in our best ball handlers hand - which is far and away GS. When he has the ball in the last 2 minutes of a game we are leading you gotta feel pretty confident he's not going to turn it over. Dude is nails with the ball.

If MU doesn't brick 4 free throws in a row and we convert a couple of layups this game isn't close. We absolutely dominated them on the offensive glass. It was as impressive of a performance on the glass that I've seen in a long time.

This team got punk'd against WVU and very clearly has decided that that isn't going to happen again. To be cliche, this team has "it".
                        I only could watch the last ten minutes, but I believe Memphis committed 4 fouls during that time to stop us from getting an offensive rebound so even if these don't show up on rebounding rate they suggest WSU's advantage in this area.
                        Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

They're on the Wichita Eagle's YouTube channel.

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall talks about beating Memphis

Wichita State players talk about beating Memphis
                          Thank you. My google-fu needs some work , I guess. I'm glad ES is a Shocker because he's the kind of cocky guy I dislike when they play for other teams.
                          One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

So how many saw at around the 12:00 minute mark of the second half after ES knocked down a 3 for a 4 point possession and a 17 point lead, Penny looking down the bench, making a timeout hand gesture and asking his coaches if he should call a timeout?
                            Last edited by ShockTalk; January 10, 2020, 08:26 PM. Reason: Can't count.

Comment

• ES is just oozing with confidence. To me, he's slowing portraying a younger Ron Baker. Hopefully in 3 years when he graduates, we're talking about him with a higher regard then RB - which would definitely take an incredible feat!

Comment

• "free smoke" lol

Comment

Working...
                                X