Wichita State (#23) vs Memphis (#21) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
    I got a chuckle out of Dexter in the last couple of minutes when he hit his big free throws. I don’t know if anybody mentioned it but it was funny when he was on the line by himself and all four Shockers were back on D. After he hit the first free-throw he reaches out instinctively to slap fives and of course no Shocker is there to do it. It was very awkward. And funny. Maybe it didn’t show up on TV.
    I went back and looked. There was less than a minute left and the camera cut away. Bummer.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

About going from leading by 19pts down to 3 pt lead?

With 12:02 left we led 56-37

Closest they got was with 3:17 left and that was when we led 66-60

I thought it had gotten lower than that also. But it doesnt look like it did.

Or maybe I am mistaken what you guys were arguing about. If so, carry on lol

Edit: Now in the 1st half we let a 13 pt lead get down to 3 I believe.
      And that's what I stated when someone pointed that out and I corrected myself. Thanks for actually checking it out and then understanding the situation.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Just watched it, and I didn't detect anything negative or edgy at all.

Okay, well he did get edgy when asked to "quantify" JB's impact. hahahaha
        Compared to a lot of his other conferences after wins, or even more specifically "big wins", he seemed more annoyed or "off". Maybe someone looked at him wrong in the hallway and asked him about free throws.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• 1. If you had told me before the game we would win despite having 9 of our shots blocked I would have laughed at you. Wow
          2. I like Penny and want him to succeed at Memphis and keep the program relevant. It’s why we joined the AAC, to have this sort of competition. I also want them to win the rest of their conference games this season with the notable exception of our visit to their place.
          3. 3G is a much better coach than Penny. We were just too young last year but I think Gregg proved who has more BBIQ last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
            I listened to some of Memphis' post-game on Sirius. Their radio guys were kinda of aggressive in asking one of the players if he is going to work on not having so many turnovers etc. I thought it was a bit much.
            Memphis "media".
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Compared to a lot of his other conferences after wins, or even more specifically "big wins", he seemed more annoyed or "off". Maybe someone looked at him wrong in the hallway and asked him about free throws.
              Agree.. he was quick to give answers before the question was completed. Wonder if he was simply 'pissed' that we let a potential 20 point win dissipate to 9 and he didn't have a chance to compose himself before the interview room? I had a little of that 'edginess' myself following the game... I wanted to see a 19 point lead go to 30. I actually gained some respect for Memphis and Penny last night (thought they handled the loss well), but it still would have been nice to put a larger 'clown suit' on him.

P.S. It was probably the missed dunks, layup and free throws that caused me the most angst.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Yes, our demise from a 19 point lead that shrunk down to 3. I must've missed your posts at the time that were saying everything was peachy and fine.
                Never got below six, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Never got below six, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story
                  LOOK MA, I'M PART OF DA DENSE CLUB TO
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                    Drove down and back to the game. It did not disappoint. The crowd was pretty electric and brought it at full volume for most of the game.

Loved our strategy on defense to ice ball screens and almost play a Chris Beard-style No Middle defense. It threw them off and was certainly a big factor in slowing them down offensively. They don’t have a ton of great shooting and we were able to funnel the ball to some of their lesser shooters.

Dex played a huge role defensively in this game. He wasn’t great offensively, but I was happy for him to see a couple of shots fall.

Jamarius gets a lot out of the athletic ability that he does have. And man you can tell he worked on his game, maybe even more so in his ability to drive than shoot. I also appreciate how he looks media members in the eye when talking to them. That’s rare for kids his age.

Grant was phenomenal in handling pressure. He is so smooth and alway in control. Those Fred and Ron teams were great, but they didn’t have the stable of guards to handle Memphis’ pressure like we do this year.

I didn’t think the refs were as favorable to Memphis as the rest of the crowd seemed to think. But the T on Wade was awful, and there were a lot of make-up calls. Side note: Trey has never committed a foul in his life. Just ask him. I wish he would stop complaining after every call, but the T was weak.

I’m pleasantly surprised we managed to get through the end of the first half playing Poor Bear and Midtgaard on Achiuwa. He didn’t do anything that spectacular, but still ended up with 22 points and got to the line a ton.

Their entire coaching staff thinks they should be able to stand and talk to their players and b*tch at the refs the entire game. It’s really annoying.

Listened to some of Marshall’s presser. I love the guy, but I would be so frustrated as a media member trying to get real insight on strategy or a quote deeper than “We played hard, they’re a great team, we want this type of guy in our program,” etc. from him. He never offers anything and his quotes all seem to be the same.

Speaking of Marshall, he is the perfect coach for our program. And when I listen to Erik talk, he is the perfect player for our program.

Love this team.
                    Funny, Erik says the same type of things 3G foes; one you dislike and one you admire. Mind boggling!
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

During the coach's show Monday night he sounded sick. So maybe he wasn't feeling well.

Comment

• GOTTA BE OUR BEST HYPE VIDEO YET!!!

Last edited by wichshock65; January 10, 2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Wow! That's awesome
                          One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            GOTTA BE OUR BEST HYPE VIDEO YET!!!

14!!!
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Just watching the replay...if anyone is still selling Jamarius Burton stock, I’m buying all I can.
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Agree.. he was quick to give answers before the question was completed. Wonder if he was simply 'pissed' that we let a potential 20 point win dissipate to 9 and he didn't have a chance to compose himself before the interview room? I had a little of that 'edginess' myself following the game... I wanted to see a 19 point lead go to 30. I actually gained some respect for Memphis and Penny last night (thought they handled the loss well), but it still would have been nice to put a larger 'clown suit' on him.

P.S. It was probably the missed dunks, layup and free throws that caused me the most angst.
                                Maybe someone stole his postgame chicken nachos with jalapenos and that put him in a fowl mood.

Comment

Working...
                                X