Wichita State vs East Carolina Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    According to Dave Dahl, JB is shooting 83.3% from the line in two of his last six games.
    Those two game were the exception to the rule. In the following four games of those six, he was only 11-22. In all the other games minus those two games, he made 21-40 with percentages ranging from 33.3% (1-3) to 57.1% (4-7).

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
      If I were Gardner I would be looking for the first train out of Greenville, North Carolina. But apparently he loves it there because it is close to home......and I'm sure it is fun having your 4 teammates clear out an entire side of the court so you can abuse your defender 1 on 1.

just my opinion. Sorry coach Dooley
      seeJason Perez

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

He's a load for sure and he did more than his part yesterday. The NBA guy thing? He made his 1st 3 of the season against us. How that plays out for a 6'7" forward in the NBA I'm not sure, but he's only a sophomore.
        good point. He is like a 2 inch shorter version of Julius Randle. That makes it tough.

If he were 6'9 it would certainly help his odds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

There's more to a game than the box score. I recommend rewatching those games and then reassessing your take.
          Absolutely! The Pirates were bad from the 3 and had few scoring options. We were going to make sure he didn't have a big game. If he got the ball in his comfort zone, he was going to score more times than not, so you double him, force him to pass, or keep him out of where he could hurt you. Our game plan would not have been as effective had they had more scoring options and better 3 point shooters. I may re-watch the game, but if he gets a lot of good touches, he's going to score.

They've got several new pieces this year. If those players can score like they did yesterday (5 players 12-24), teams will have a harder time controlling Gardner. Unfortunately for them, they're still a poor 3pt shooting team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            According to Dave Dahl, JB is shooting 83.3% from the line in two of his last six games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              Looks like we may not need to ban the guy who voted "Toss Up" in the pre-game thread
              Is it too late to take that post back? Good grief, I’m never going to make another supreme confident prediction like that again.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

Even if you subscribe to the theory that JB’s shots taken where he’s fouled and go to the line are “bad shots”, that would amount to 11 “shots” instead of 6, but we’ll credit him 2.5 more makes for the 5 made free throws, making him 6.5-11. Still above 50%. And none of his 6 shots where he didn’t get fouled were remotely bad. Season stats prove his shot selection is good.
                I'm on board with JB taking it to the rack also despite his current FT slump. He creates for himself and others too - ask Mr. Wade. I also don't subscribe to the belief that making 1 of 2 FTs and drawing a foul on an opponent = a turnover . . . what an absurd take by a couple of posters. If JB draws 5 fouls, that leads to more FT opportunities for the rest of our team (get to bonus and double bonus quicker), it puts opposing players on the bench and can alter how aggressive they play if in foul trouble. Keep taking it to the cup JB, Mr. Cotton made a nice Shocker career of doing just that.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Triticum aestivum L. View Post

I'm on board with JB taking it to the rack also despite his current FT slump. He creates for himself and others too - ask Mr. Wade. I also don't subscribe to the belief that making 1 of 2 FTs and drawing a foul on an opponent = a turnover . . . what an absurd take by a couple of posters. If JB draws 5 fouls, that leads to more FT opportunities for the rest of our team (get to bonus and double bonus quicker), it puts opposing players on the bench and can alter how aggressive they play if in foul trouble. Keep taking it to the cup JB, Mr. Cotton made a nice Shocker career of doing just that.
                    I cannot believe you just compared JB to Cotton. Good God.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Those two game were the exception to the rule. In the following four games of those six, he was only 11-22. In all the other games minus those two games, he made 21-40 with percentages ranging from 33.3% (1-3) to 57.1% (4-7).
                      Woosh
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Triticum aestivum L. View Post

Agree that shooting 1-2 from the free throw line doesn't equal a turnover. But shooting 5-10 or 2-6 from the free throw lines does.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Agree that shooting 1-2 from the free throw line doesn't equal a turnover. But shooting 5-10 or 2-6 from the free throw lines does.
                          Yeah, that still doesn't add up. As noted, there is value in drawing fouls. Doesn't mean I don't think shooting a better FT% is an important point of emphasis for Burton. He's going to be in at winning time. He needs to be reliable there.

Comment

• We didn't defend Gardner very well

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

He's a load for sure and he did more than his part yesterday. The NBA guy thing? He made his 1st 3 of the season against us. How that plays out for a 6'7" forward in the NBA I'm not sure, but he's only a sophomore.
                              I’m not saying he’s an NBA guy, I’m saying he played like one yesterday.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I cannot believe you just compared JB to Cotton. Good God.
                                Good God, look it up dude, JB FR and SO vs. Cotton Fr and SO.

Comment

Working...
                                X