Wichita State vs East Carolina Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

We played ECU 3 times last year. Dennis destroyed Gardner defensively. Hopefully we are back to full depth soon.
    While Gardner had a number of big games (8) last year, most were against weak opponents. I'd say he had 2 reasonable games against us last year (combined 27 points, 9-13 FG, 9-11 FT). He averaged 16.3 ppg last year. That includes those 8 big games where he averaged 27.6 ppg. In the other 23 games, he averaged 12.4 ppg.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

While Gardner had a number of big games (8) last year, most were against weak opponents. I'd say he had 2 reasonable games against us last year (combined 27 points, 9-13 FG, 9-11 FT). He averaged 16.3 ppg last year. That includes those 8 big games where he averaged 27.6 ppg. In the other 23 games, he averaged 12.4 ppg.
      Key to those stats is we limited his touches.
      I am pretty sure Markis guarded him and really did a great job of ball denial along with Dex.

Markis was a really underrated defender for his career. He had some matchups that didn’t favor him, but by and large he got the best of most of his opponents.

Comment

If you take away nearly a 25% of the games Player X played in last year in which he was tremendous....then the freshman only averaged 12 points a game

what? lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

In the three games since the Oklahoma game, ES is 8-30 from the field -- 27%. Until he proves differently, he appears to be a below average shooter that occasionally gets hot in a game or put another way, a streak shooter.

Now, as I have said before he brings a lot to the team even when he is clanking up shots in hustle, attitude, rebounding, etc.
          And part of that is he takes tougher shots than he needs to. For some reason, he falls in love with the NBA 3’s probably because it’s easier to get open. But he could use that extra 3 feet of space. He also tends to throw em up off balanced a lot.

Hes a great shooter even he’s within reasonable range and fully squares for the shot.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

In the three games since the Oklahoma game, ES is 8-30 from the field -- 27%. Until he proves differently, he appears to be a below average shooter that occasionally gets hot in a game or put another way, a streak shooter.

Now, as I have said before he brings a lot to the team even when he is clanking up shots in hustle, attitude, rebounding, etc.
            Eric led in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals yesterday. I will take below average shooting percentage.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

If you take away nearly a 25% of the games Player X played in last year in which he was tremendous....then the freshman only averaged 12 points a game

what? lol
              Didn't say "only" averaged 12 ppg. Point was that he was not "destroyed" all 3 games against us. Yes, he did not go off on us, but he did manage to do us in 2 of 3 games that he did over the normal course of his season.

Comment

Frankly, our offense looked like WVU Game Part 2. They took away the things we wanted to do and we didn't appear to have enough different "looks" in our offense to trip them up. Maybe it's because how young the team is overall and not enough of those "other parts" have been added yet. It did appear that ECU had a number of different looks on offense and it got them a number of close-in buckets (25-43 inside the arc).
                I like your take. We are still young. They are going to play like freshman and sophomores at times. Also, the mental maturity to not look past opponents is probably still lacking as well, again a young team. This is going to be a fun year to watch them mature, and we don’t need to be hyper critical. By March if the freshmen still have legs under them, we are going to be a tough out.

Comment

Gardner hit a ton of tough shots yesterday. He played like an NBA guy. All I can say is well done! We will get you next time.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Didn't say "only" averaged 12 ppg. Point was that he was not "destroyed" all 3 games against us. Yes, he did not go off on us, but he did manage to do us in 2 of 3 games that he did over the normal course of his season.
                    There's more to a game than the box score. I recommend rewatching those games and then reassessing your take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      Per Haslametrics, that was our worst game of the year. Even worse than the Texas Southern game

http://www.haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=&tid=5471
                      My eyes told me that. Defense was bad for us. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                        I disagree that we have no one to match up with Gardner. He had a really good game but he’s a good player and you’re right he’s a tough matchup. Sometimes good players have good games no matter who is guarding them.

Dexter was pretty successful slowing him down last year albeit in one game. I would like to see how a healthy Poor-Bear would handle him. Poor-Bear’s defense is improved this year. Enough to completely shut Gardner down? Probably not. But PB is big and moves well for his size. I would have at least like to see it as a test of his improvement.
                        Unfortunately, I don't think we had any great answers for Gardner, not IPBC either. Maybe Dex. Everybody else will have problems with him for the next few years. He's a beast.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

And part of that is he takes tougher shots than he needs to. For some reason, he falls in love with the NBA 3’s probably because it’s easier to get open. But he could use that extra 3 feet of space. He also tends to throw em up off balanced a lot.

Hes a great shooter even he’s within reasonable range and fully squares for the shot.
                          Agreed. This is what I was noticing on his shots and pointed it out in the ECU thread. I can see it right at elevation sometimes, and others I can see he doesn't treat his follow thru like a trigger, more like a push, and that hurts his shot also.

Erik is awesome, he just needs to add more of his attention to his launch base. Once Erik gets his launch base steady and twitch firing up threes, then he'll be able to start adding in leans and step to the sides, etc.

Right now, those types of shots are almost guaranteed misses for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            Per Haslametrics, that was our worst game of the year. Even worse than the Texas Southern game

http://www.haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=&tid=5471
                            True, our worst game of the year, but we still won.

While, ECU had their best game against the Shockers and still lost.

I like the Shockers floor and ceiling.

Comment

• If I were Gardner I would be looking for the first train out of Greenville, North Carolina. But apparently he loves it there because it is close to home......and I'm sure it is fun having your 4 teammates clear out an entire side of the court so you can abuse your defender 1 on 1.

just my opinion. Sorry coach Dooley

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Gardner hit a ton of tough shots yesterday. He played like an NBA guy. All I can say is well done! We will get you next time.
                                He's a load for sure and he did more than his part yesterday. The NBA guy thing? He made his 1st 3 of the season against us. How that plays out for a 6'7" forward in the NBA I'm not sure, but he's only a sophomore.

Comment

Working...
                                X