No announcement yet.

Erik Stevenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its just not ES they figured out. They are double teaming JE and for some reason he can't seem to pass it out back to guards without the other team stealing it. Sometimes he goes inside to TW. But in my opinion he holds the ball two long when the double team comes. If he would go right back out to the guard with a pass we would have an open 3. But even when we get them, were not making them consistently. They are going to let TW shoot 3 pointers until he shows he can consistently make them. They will not let TE shoot a 3. He has to adjust and shoot the pull up midrange or take to the cup.

And lets hope we do not get another breakaway and get it blocked. Dunk the ball.
    Last edited by TheShocktocles; February 9, 2020, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• There is just no movement at all. 3 man weave at 24 feet. Pick and...no roll at top of key which teams know is nothing. I know thats the new NBA game...but I'd kill for an old school motion offense with a little f-ing movement!

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        If all opposing teams simply need to do is pressure and take out ES (one Shocker player) in order to dismantle the Shocker offense...then this offense is even more predictable and easy to defend than I originally thought.
        It’s not all, but it’s how you take Erik out. Our other guys have similar weaknesses. DD can’t dribble in traffic or shoot on the move, GS can’t do much other than pass side to side, don’t give JB an open shot, make him drive into traffic and take a low percentage shot, don’t leave Tyson open on the perimeter, he’s not big enough to do damage any other way. Dissecting our players isn’t rocket science.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
          Its just not ES they figured out. They are double teaming JE and for some reason he can't seem to pass it out back to guards without the other team stealing it. Sometimes he goes inside to TW. But in my opinion he holds the ball two long when the double team comes. If he would go right back out to the guard with a pass we would have an open 3. But even when we get them, were not making them consistently. They are going to let TW shoot 3 pointers until he shows he can consistently make them. They will not let TE shoot a 3. He has to adjust and shoot the pull up midrange or take to the cup.

And lets hope we do not get another breakaway and get it blocked. Dunk the ball.
          Nope. Houston wasn't doubling with a ball side perimeter. They doubled with their other post. JE needs to pull the double team with two long drag dribbles and then skip opposite or look for our other "big" on a flash or dive. The few time he hit TW on dives, Trey was out muscled at the basket by Houston's opposite wing who has rotated to cover the basket.

Post doubles from M-M aren't difficult to counter. They can be effective at minimizing an opponent and forcing a lower percentage shot but no way should would be turning it over like we have. It's like we didn't know a big-big double was allowed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
            I just don't get the ES-RB comparisons.

I think it was Shane on the radio last week who said ES' shot has been off more than it's been on during his career.

Reminds me of that political moment when what's his name said "I knew Jack Kennedy and you're no Jack Kennedy."
            There are certain parts of their game that are similar. Both see the court well for one. In true ShockerNet fashion he was crowned as the Next Ron Baker after he went off on Oklahoma.

I dont think I need to explain what "True ShockerNet Fashion" means.

Comment

• Erik has been bad lately but far from the only one, and arguably not the worst one.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Agree. Pretty much everyone except JE are playing poorly. Young guards hurting us on defense, as well. Agree with
                another poster stating that we are especially weak at PG and PF. I'd like us to go with what little experience we had
                from the end of last season and the newcomers be the complimentary players. Get bigger at the PF spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                  Agree. Pretty much everyone except JE are playing poorly. Young guards hurting us on defense, as well. Agree with
                  another poster stating that we are especially weak at PG and PF. I'd like us to go with what little experience we had
                  from the end of last season and the newcomers be the complimentary players. Get bigger at the PF spot.
                  Dexter has been pretty good lately too

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

Nope. Houston wasn't doubling with a ball side perimeter. They doubled with their other post. JE needs to pull the double team with two long drag dribbles and then skip opposite or look for our other "big" on a flash or dive. The few time he hit TW on dives, Trey was out muscled at the basket by Houston's opposite wing who has rotated to cover the basket.

Post doubles from M-M aren't difficult to counter. They can be effective at minimizing an opponent and forcing a lower percentage shot but no way should would be turning it over like we have. It's like we didn't know a big-big double was allowed.
                    I see your point. I was talking in generalities but you are right. He was being doubled team by post players. I guess that's why he kept trying to pass to TW. I think I am with alot of you guys. Maybe from here on out we ought to go with our experienced players and bring our young talented freshmen guards off the bench. Don't know for sure if its the right remedy, but we got to do something. Go shocks.

Comment

• None of us know what's going on in practice or in the locker room. I'd wager that neither are looking good right now. Stevenson appears to have built himself a rather large doghouse and moved into the far reaches of that structure.

This makes two years in a row of relying on Fr and JuCo trfr's for significant minutes. In the MVC days we never had a candidate for Fr of the week or for the all-Fr team because the Fr on those teams never got enough minutes for those considerations. We moved to a more difficult conference and now we're relying on less experienced players than were used in the Valley. That's not a good plan.

It's easy to be critical of player development this year, but did Shamet have any time with Heiar or Jans? If so, it wasn't much, so player development seems to be more of a function of the players than of the the coaching staff.

Marshall renegotiated his contract every year during the VanVleet - Baker - Early - Cotton years. He's shown zero ability to build a team remotely close to those teams since then. There were a lot of non-WSU fans asking us what we would do after those guys graduated. We pumped out our chests and said "In Marshall we trust".

I want Marshall here until he retires, but it's time for someone to tell him he needs to earn his salary. Does Boatwright have the cojones to do that?

If it's true that Stevenson can't dribble with his left hand, then his recruitment was a mistake. A perimeter player who can only go one direction, which automatically excludes a crossover, is a liability on an NCAA tourney team. The scout on Stevenson last year was "can't shoot don't guard him deep". That worked for him really well in the non-con. When Stevenson added "can shoot" to his game, "gets frustrated when guarded" was added to his scout.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

I dont think I need to explain what "True ShockerNet Fashion" means.

Jeez, who'd a thought you're a mind reader? : D

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

He also fouled twice in those two minutes. It’s his own fault.
                          Full disclaimer, I only watched the first half & will state the obvious, Erik is not playing well. BUT. his first turnover against Houston he was rouged up, could have been called a foul but wasn't and he got out physicalled. Bad on Erik, but one to me I let go if he realizes at that point the refs are going to let that kind of aggressive defense be played. His 2nd turnover though... which resulted in his 2nd foul.... goes on Grant. Grant took his player right into Erik for that double team. Literally jogged across the court with his back to Erik, taking his defender down the red carpet with an invitation to double up Erik. That is very poor court/game awareness from our apparently 2nd coming of Fred PG. Erik turned the ball over in the double team yes, but Grant put him in that situation. Erik is playing poorly, no doubt about it. But the kid is getting ZERO help from his teammates nor his COACHES in helping him through a rough spot. He pissed coach off with something, and its obvious. Grant's leash got longer starting at UCONN.... no coincidence the decline also started at that point. Grant has talent, by all means I want him a part of this team. He is just not ready to play in this conference quite as much as coach seems to think.
                          -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Can't deny Erik's motor, but it seems that sometimes it's a detriment. All that hustle and tenacity probably worked in high school, but at this level it's useless if you don't make smart decisions, and a lot of times he doesn't.
                            "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post

... the kid is getting ZERO help from his teammates nor his COACHES...
                              Interesting observation. Makes one wonder how a situation like that could ever come about.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Interesting observation. Makes one wonder how a situation like that could ever come about.
                                Very fair. Very.

Along that line of thinking though, not many guys look like they like each other much lately. Guys used to run to help their teammates up off the floor... don't see that anymore, no matter who it is.
                                -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

Working...
                                X