No announcement yet.

Erik Stevenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with the idea that ES is becoming the next Rob Barker. Now where’s our next Fred?

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
      That block would cause a player to be benched by some coaches.
      I doubt that very muich. That was as much as anything a super hustle play. Coaches love that and 3G loves that more than most.

Comment

Well, that got a lot of comments regarding proper "blocking". Actually, I agree with shock , in certain instances, just not this one. True shoot blockers (big men) learn to control the block when possible. I, too, get frustrated watching a game, college or pro, where the guy just tries to see how hard and how high he can block the ball where it was a controllable block situation.

What I particularly liked about Erik's block was his changing of running speed to time the block perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
          Agree with the idea that ES is becoming the next Rob Barker. Now where’s our next Fred?
          Fred is a one of a kind player. Trying to find another Fred is a fool’s errand. Look at what he is doing in the NBA. That said, between GS and TE, we’ll be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
            Fred is a one of a kind player. Trying to find another Fred is a fool’s errand. Look at what he is doing in the NBA. That said, between GS and TE, we’ll be just fine.
            Truth.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              Well, that got a lot of comments regarding proper "blocking". Actually, I agree with shock , in certain instances, just not this one. True shoot blockers (big men) learn to control the block when possible. I, too, get frustrated watching a game, college or pro, where the guy just tries to see how hard and how high he can block the ball where it was a controllable block situation.

What I particularly liked about Erik's block was his changing of running speed to time the block perfectly.
              Also a HUGE difference in how you want to handle a block when it's done in context of the half court defense vs on a fast break.

In the half court defense you want to try to control the ball. Fast break - Get the ball as far as away from the basket as possible to allow your team to catch up and rest the defense. Big men normally are the first type of block. Erik's was the second type.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Also a HUGE difference in how you want to handle a block when it's done in context of the half court defense vs on a fast break.

In the half court defense you want to try to control the ball. Fast break - Get the ball as far as away from the basket as possible to allow your team to catch up and rest the defense. Big men normally are the first type of block. Erik's was the second type.
                Yep, he sure didn't want it anywhere near the guys in red.

Comment

Steveson with the Fly By.jpg

and

Comment

IMG_20191216_131447.jpg

Comment

I'm going to have to side with Dan on the shot block. Blocking it to a teammate is always preferable to knocking it out of bounds. I've seen (and even coached) a lot of players that take more pride in a shot block than winning the game. This is the classic form over function argument...or I'd rather look pretty losing than winning ugly. Pretty sure Eric Stevenson is not a form over function guy because it appears to me that winning is pretty important to ES.

Comment

If he was any good at all, he would've just swatted it into our basket. What an idiot. Doesn't he know that's worth more points?

Comment

I would NEVER criticize that block under any circumstance or situation. A POWER BLOCK like that gets the crowd into it. It energizes the building and the players. A block like that is MOTIVATION!
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Criticizing Erik's blocked shot? Insert shocked monkey face >here<

I might need to hit the tavern early this week... where's the beer?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              I would NEVER criticize that block under any circumstance or situation. A POWER BLOCK like that gets the crowd into it. It energizes the building and the players. A block like that is MOTIVATION!
                              It was a great hustle and athletic play. And I agree that kind of play can energize and motivate although that really did not happen in this case. The Shocks were up 20-15 when Erik made his block with 6:45 remaining in the half. But any energy and motivation was short-lived in this case as OU scored on that possession and ended up outscoring the Shocks 22-13 from that point until the end of the half to take a 37-33 lead.

The game really turned and the crowd really got into it on the back-to-back dimes from Grant to Jaime cutting OU's 8 point lead in half to 56-52 and force an OU timeout. After the OU timeout the Shocks went on an 8-0 run in just over 2:00 minutes that forced another OU timeout with the Shocks up 60-56 including 2 floaters by Grant. 10 of the 12 points were scored in the paint with one of Grant's floaters just outside the free throw line.

What hasn't been discussed too much was the OU was able to regain the lead 66-64 on back-to-back treys by Doolittle and Manek with 3:38 remaining. On the ensuing Shocker possession Dex missed a trey from the top of the key and OU secured the rebound. At that point OU seemingly had regained the momentum. In perhaps one of the more overlooked plays of the game Doolittle tried to take Jaime off the drive and Jaime did a great job moving his feet and getting in position to draw a charging foul. Perhaps the defensive play of the game.

On the ensuing possession Tyson hit a huge 3-pointer from the corner regaining the lead for the Shocks at 67-66 in a terriific 2-man exchange with Jaime. Doolittle missed a 3-pointer that bounced over the back board. On the ensuing Shocker possession Grant missed a 12 foot floater in the lane, Jaime got the rebound but missed his layup before Trey bailed him out with a put back with about 1:30 left to give the Shocks a 69-66 lead. OU missed a 3-pointer that Reaves rebounded but he missed his put back attempt and the Shockers put the game away at the free throw line.

The 12-0 run was great but so was the Shockers ability to make the plays at crunch time and hold off the Sooners down the stretch.

My defensive play of the game was Jaime drawing the charge on Doolittle. My offensive play of the game was perhaps Tyson's clutch 3 to turn the tide back to the Shockers after OU had taken the lead although Trey's put back after that was huge as well. Just a lot of good plays in this game especially in the last 10 minutes of the game.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 17, 2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Holy crap guys. I wasn’t knocking Erik. If anything, it was a nod to Turg.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X