No announcement yet.

Erik Stevenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I just feel like the whole thing is being overblown. He’s a college kid. If this was egregious as some are making it out to be, he would have been suspended. He didn’t physically harm anyone. Now if he would have given the crowd the finger...yes, that’s a punk and jack@ss move, but he didn’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I've taken some time to think and reflect, and here's my opinion, which I'm certain some will get uppity about and blast me because of it.

Going to half court and blowing kisses at an opposing teams' fan base after a hard fought game is REALLY bad. It's classless. It's rude. It's incredibly immature. It probably didn't set well with the coaching staff or the rest of the team. What would we have thought if Kyle Weems, at MSU, had done that in CKA? We would have blasted him for weeks.

If Stevenson had any intention of becoming a team leader, he blew it off in that moment. You might say he kissed it goodbye. To be a team leader, a player has to have the respect of his teammates. From what I've seen and heard from many of the team members, they give and get respect. They are a group of young men who appear to have high standards of behavior and what is right and what is wrong.

It's reasonable to think that Stevenson took some heat from both his teammates and the coaching staff. That may have contributed to his shooting slump, I also noticed that Marshall pulled him out of the game with about 30 seconds left at USF. Why sub a player out with 38 seconds left and a 15-point lead? To make a point with that player that he isn't going to be on the court at the end of a victory on the road.

If a player on an opposing team did that at CKA, we would think of and call that player a punk.

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

You are making a lot of assumptions in your post. Bottom line for me is that I think his attitude and passion is what drives him and makes him as mentally tough as he is. I'd rather have 10 ES on the team than a bunch of passionless pansies who are afraid to show emotion. Having said that, there is a point where it goes too far, I just don't think ES has gone that far. By all accounts he is a great young man and teammate. I'm guessing if ES wasn't in a slump and was still shooting lights out and leading the team in Play Angry, nobody would feel the need to bash.
      While it didn't really bother me that much, it is a fact that if an opposing player did that on our court it would be talked about for years. Reference the VCU win several years ago.

I agree he has attitude and passion but I'm not sure that equates to being mentally tough. Mentallly tough is not great for a few game, then bad for a few, then great for a few, then terrible for a few, which sums up his season so far. That seems more indicative of a person riding an emotional roller coaster rather than the steadiness of a truly mentally tough player.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Mentallly tough is not great for a few game, then bad for a few, then great for a few, then terrible for a few, which sums up his season so far. That seems more indicative of a person riding an emotional roller coaster rather than the steadiness of a truly mentally tough player.
        just my opinion.......mentally tough has nothing to do if you are playing great or not.

Everybody has ups and downs. I think we forget that ES has only played 1.5 years of D1 basketball. His progress has been pretty impressive in my book. Should he have done what he did at the end of the UConn game? Of course not. His good play prior to that and the team's success might have went to his head. Like I said, he is only 1.5 years into this 4 year journey. Give him a break. We are fortunate to have him

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

just my opinion.......mentally tough has nothing to do if you are playing great or not.

Everybody has ups and downs. I think we forget that ES has only played 1.5 years of D1 basketball. His progress has been pretty impressive in my book. Should he have done what he did at the end of the UConn game? Of course not. His good play prior to that and the team's success might have went to his head. Like I said, he is only 1.5 years into this 4 year journey. Give him a break. We are fortunate to have him
          Agree, "give him a break, give him a break"...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• ES played 10 minutes and attempted two shots. A good start to letting the game come to him and not trying to be a hero.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Really? It's probably best we not go there. Henderson had a substance problem... and other problems. His 'gifs' are funny as hell, but his antics were an embarrassment to Ole Miss.

This might be the best gif I've ever seen...

M. Henderson was a piece of sht. He is known more for his antics then his play. And I would think that this would not be a way you want to be remembered as a college basketball player. And I don't think anybody has forgotten what ES has done for this team. There are certainly some games the shocks have played this year we could not have won without him. However, suggesting it would be ok for ES to do some of the things MH did in college is a terrible idea. This has nothing to do with being soft. Its about showing some class on the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                However, suggesting it would be ok for ES to do some of the things MH did in college is a terrible idea.
                Who has suggested this?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Who has suggested this?
                  I was suggest you read the post by Shox the Revenant on the previous page. When he says ES is no Marshall Henderson (but I wouldn't mind if he was). Sorry I think that is a mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Who has suggested this?
                    Possibly one poster.

It's time we started a thread of his own for the man. His fire and tenacity cannot be denied. Nor has it been! He is the current leader and heart and soul of this team. And here's MY bold prediction. By the time he is done here, he will record a quadruple double! Bold indeed, but think about it... Is it really that far fetched

Comment

• Erik will be okay. He probably isn't as good as his 29 point performance against Ole Miss and he definitely is not at bad as he recent performances. Erik won't be Ron Baker and he won't be Marshall Henderson. But he will be the best Erik Stevenson he can be over time.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

I have stated in the past that he brings a lot to the team.

My opinion is that mental toughness has everything to do with playing great. Pretty sure most coaches would agree with that.

Comment

• And if ES is the best at who he is, thats pretty doggone good. Go ES and go shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            ES played 10 minutes and attempted two shots. A good start to letting the game come to him and not trying to be a hero.
                            There might be more who should take note.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Here are my thoughts. Don't do anything in a victory that you wouldn't do in a loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                                Here are my thoughts. Don't do anything in a victory that you wouldn't do in a loss.
                                Make shots?

Comment

Working...
                                X