No announcement yet.

attendance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m probably too generous, but I would give the balance of the non-purchased season tickets to area charities; approximately 500 tickets (to each remaining game) to the Boys & Girls Club, Biddy Basketball, Salvation Army, League 42, etc, and any other worthy program; get these kids to the games and fill the upper rows in Koch Arena. Build future Shocker fans; it’s seems so simple to me... it’s an investment in the future of the program.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUfan1998 View Post
      Where can a person go buy tickets from someone that isn’t using theirs? Like what 1972Shocker mentioned.
      StubHub,com: https://www.stubhub.com/wichita-stat...rformer/45302/

Here is the Koch Arena seating chart:

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
        As I have stated here and on other platforms, the attendance issue is reflected in the parking lots near tip off. GA and BG lots are filled to capacity while numbered lots are empty. The issue is not the casual fan but the corporate and business ticket holders who don’t attend the games unless it is a quality opponent or he team is ranked.

HCGM needs to stop his bitching about “the fans” we do, and have consistently shown up. Look at our attendance numbers in the late 90’s and early 2000’s it was 7600-7800 strong. Each and every game. Additionally, not throwing those “fans” a bone by participating in BCS tourneys close by because they lack palm trees may also contribute to the fair weather nature of attendees.

At the end of the day, winning, and doing so against quality opponents, takes care of the problem.

Go Shocks!
        If I ruled the world...or at least Shocker Athletics, I would encourage this 5 year cycle of playing in MTEs.

2 years: play in tropical event (Maui, B4A, Cancun, etc.). Those are big-time events in big-time locales. Only downside is that normal fan has ZERO chance to attend.

2 years: somewhere on mainland US like Orlando, Charleston, Vegas (though Darron has said that he doesn’t like the hypocritical message to the team...don’t gamble but we’ll play somewhere where our fans can), New York (surely, we can get one of those events at some point, right). Those are still really cool events but still quasi-manageable for normal fans to attend. Maybe not all the time but I could probably do it once every couple years or so.

1 year: Kansas City. As previous poster mentioned, this would throw a bone to our local fans who could easily attend this. Unfortunately, it’s not a sexy locale and we haven’t had an easy time getting home games for this in the two times we’ve been in it. First time, we got stuck with D2 opponent, and in 2014, we got the two home games but it was a pain to get that done.
        78-65

Comment

• I still contend the problem is much about large sum donors not really caring as to what happens to their tickets once an employee passes on it. They, for the most part, don’t care.

Comment

• 10k tickets are being sold, so prices must not really be the largest issue, the issue is only 60-70% showing up. So if it is not prices, then parking and opponents?

I haven't lived in Wichita for a decade, but the last 4-5 years I've been able to make it back for a game or two. Has parking recently gotten worse? Seems like Wichitans love to complain about parking which equates to walking...I understand that there are those who are disabled/health problems that need to park close, but not 2/3 of the population which responded that parking was an issue. Last year I made it to the Baylor game and parked where I always park, over by the Nursing school, about what 10-12 min walk.

The other top issue was weak opponents, WSU fans have been complaining about a weak schedule for a while. 15-16 through 17-18 season this was the home schedules:

2015-16 (Fred & Ron Senior Year)
            Charleston Southern
            Emporia State
            UNLV
            Utah (IBA)

2016-2017
            Long Beach State
            Tulsa
            Maryland Eastern Shore
            Southern Nazerene
            Saint Louis
            Oklahoma State (IBA)
            South Dakota State

2017-2018
            UMKC
            College of Charleston
            Savannah St.
            South Dakota St
            Oklahoma (IBA)
            Arkansas St
            Florida Gulf Coast

No one jumps off the page to me. So the huge drop in no-shows, which really started last year had to be due to a young team not playing good basketball so 1/3 of those who bought tickets didn't show up, and they haven't decided to show back up this season either.

Why? Bandwagon fans/complacency? That is my feeling. I could be 100% wrong but the complaints aren't new, but seeing a lot of empty seats are something new.

The only thing I do know is next year I will be stationed 3 hrs away, and I will be at as many games as possible.
            Last edited by ArmyShockerFan; December 16, 2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Harder than you think... especially if you have a late scratch for illness, etc.
              This.

I'll give you my scenario. I have a handful of tickets through our company. Most games people plan on using them, but often times there are last minute cancels and we end up with a couple of empty seats.

Sometimes I come here to give them away, but it's hard for people last minute to jump in the car, pick them up and get to the game on time.

Now, if I had let's say a WSU App that could access my tickets anytime, and could donate (or sell I suppose) my tickets at a moment's notice, and then say that was tied in to an ATM like kiosk at the arena where people could buy or take free tickets and have them printed out like at home, that would seem to work.

I have to think knowing this option is available, that a good chunk of people would go to the game to check out the options (you could make it available online as well). Make it easy for those that want to wait until the last minute.

Also, I have to think the ticket department has a way of knowing what tickets are scanned and not scanned. If there are regular non attendees it seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard to reach out to these folks and do a follow up, make sure they are happy, see what they need, encourage to use the ticket exchange etc.

Just thinking out loud.

Comment

• Okay @WuDrWu's post got me to thinking. I need to build the ShockerShamer app! I simply set up a camera to scan all the chairs at each game (easy cheesey). Then I use Facebook's facial recognition app to identify each of you humps (got you!!). Now, if I see the same seat empty twice in a row, I just have a ShameBot start publicly flaming you on Facebook. Maybe there's some corporate seats and I accidentally identify an employee that doesn't own the seat and I publicly shame them!? SO WHAT! Collateral damage!

Muhahahaha muhhhhAhahaAH MUAHAHAHAAHA
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, but I speculate this year approximately 200-300 season tickets were sold to the KC company ticketsforless at a discount after it was realized demand for season tickets were lacking (I know they have deal like that for KU Tickets). Those tickets are part of the approx 400 that have been for sale on resale sites for each game (minus IBA). A vast majority of those are not being sold on the resale sites.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Now, if I had let's say a WSU App that could access my tickets anytime, and could donate (or sell I suppose) my tickets at a moment's notice, and then say that was tied in to an ATM like kiosk at the arena where people could buy or take free tickets and have them printed out like at home, that would seem to work.
                    This .... find a way to facilitate this. That doesn't mean Stubhub that is charging fees in all directions. Find a way to help people GIVE their tickets away if they want them. As I've stated before ... Allow people to drop off tickets at the ticket office that they know they wont use at a minimum. Then 10 min before tip off, start handing them out 1 per person. If people want to go to a game for free, they can line up and wait. No guarantees of a ticket but you could end up with a GOOD ticket. It wouldn't be hard to do. 1 intern could handle it.

Even better if they can find a way to do this digitally where people don't have to drop them off.

Comment

• OK, this is like a public cleansing session so I'll come clean. I bought an extra seat so I have a place to put my coat. I feel better now, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ccrunner101 View Post
                        I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, but I speculate this year approximately 200-300 season tickets were sold to the KC company ticketsforless at a discount after it was realized demand for season tickets were lacking (I know they have deal like that for KU Tickets). Those tickets are part of the approx 400 that have been for sale on resale sites for each game (minus IBA). A vast majority of those are not being sold on the resale sites.
                        After seeing 200+ tickets for sale on vividseats as instant download bothered me as 1) WSU partners with stubhub and 2) I dont have that ability with my season tickets (see my ticketsforless speculation in previous post). I will say I asked the ticket office about leaving tickets for my brother at will call. They said they could reprint tickets and leave for someone at will call upon request.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This .... find a way to facilitate this. That doesn't mean Stubhub that is charging fees in all directions. Find a way to help people GIVE their tickets away if they want them. As I've stated before ... Allow people to drop off tickets at the ticket office that they know they wont use at a minimum. Then 10 min before tip off, start handing them out 1 per person. If people want to go to a game for free, they can line up and wait. No guarantees of a ticket but you could end up with a GOOD ticket. It wouldn't be hard to do. 1 intern could handle it.

Even better if they can find a way to do this digitally where people don't have to drop them off.

Love it. This is how problems get fixed. You cannot tell me there aren't 4th year computer engineers that could get this done inside of a couple of weeks.

Cue WstateU for an "Internship" Yo-Yo Santos gif ASAP.

Now that I think about it, do it right, and that might actually be marketable to a variety of places. If there are any skilled entrepreneurs here that need funding to get this done, shoot me a PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ccrunner101 View Post

After seeing 200+ tickets for sale on vividseats as instant download bothered me as 1) WSU partners with stubhub and 2) I dont have that ability with my season tickets (see my ticketsforless speculation in previous post). I will say I asked the ticket office about leaving tickets for my brother at will call. They said they could reprint tickets and leave for someone at will call upon request.
                            So half of the solution is already there. Just need to allow people to easily mark tickets that they wont use. Then the ticket office print, scan and hand the ticket to a person waiting as they walk in the door ..

Comment

• QUOTE=WuDrWu;n1205914]

Love it. This is how problems get fixed. You cannot tell me there aren't 4th year computer engineers that could get this done inside of a couple of weeks.

Cue WstateU for an "Internship" Yo-Yo Santos gif ASAP.

Now that I think about it, do it right, and that might actually be marketable to a variety of places. If there are any skilled entrepreneurs here that need funding to get this done, shoot me a PM.[/QUOTE]

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• There's already an app that allows you to electronically transfer event tickets to others. It's called Flash Seats. You can sell or donate tickets to anyone--they just need to download the app and sign up.

Please tell me you don't have to have a paper ticket to go to a Shockers game at Koch. For the OU game I was able to use my phone as my ticket. If the WSU AD doesn't already have the ability to distribute tickets electronically, even season tickets, through something like Flash Seats, I'm extremely disappointed. This is not revolutionary. You don't necessarily need a new marketplace.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X