2019-20 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post

And some kids go to schools so they can get the MONEY. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!

Don't know which is worse....(sorry to rehash this already dead horse.....
    1. The kids grabbing for the cash at a school where it has been CONFIRMED that players received monies.
    2. The people in the stands are smiling, happy, and have no problem with this.
    3. Summary of NCAA Regulations Division I - NCAA.org
    You are not eligible for participation in a sport if you have ever: (1) Taken pay, or the promise of pay, for competing in that sport. [Bylaw 12.1. ... (3) Played on any professional athletics team as defined by the NCAA in that sport. AND THE NCAA DOESN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS EQUALLY, ACROSS THE BOARD.

Would love to know what was going through Bill's mind (lower left) at this moment...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

You guys forgot Jerry Tarkanian, Steve Fisher, Eddie Sutton, Kevin Ollie, Jim Harrick, Sean Miller and Dave Bliss - throw in Will Wade for good measure
      No specific slight at you, but I think the hate in this thread in general at Sampson is misplaced. Not only that, I'm going to say I think he learned from the mistakes he made @ Indiana and OU.

I am driving over 200 miles Sunday to watch the game, and I am optimistic, but it seems like our teams lay down when we play U of H. To me, this is frustrating and disappointing. And I think the cause of our poor performance may be more related to being outcoached.

Our chances of winning the conference slipped through our hands when we lost @ Temple and followed it up with that loss @ home to Houston where we let them play downhill the ENTIRE game. We played horribly both of those games and should have won both of them if we are as good as we think we are.

On the positive side, I DO think we will get an at-large, and I am hoping we can play better than we did the last time I attended a game in Houston or watched us play them on TV.
      Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; February 5, 2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Thread title: Games Of Interest

Thread Contents: Posts of little interest
        Probably a valid point, Aargh, because there's a whole lot of stuff in recent pages about non-games. But didn't you help that along a bit yourself?

As for me, I'll now stop responding off topic for the thread, which is a pet peeve of mine but to which I also plead guilty.

Comment

• Blewjays fall to Providence 73-56

Comment

• At least we have avoided getting beat by 30 or 40 whilst being ranked...
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Memphis 79-Temple 65.......too bad they both couldn't lose

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                Memphis 79-Temple 65.......too bad they both couldn't lose
                we need Memphis to keep winning, it may be the best win we have.

Comment

• Cincinnati and Tulsa both have some bad losses in the non-con. That damaged their NET. They are rebuilding their NET by lowering the NET of the rest of the league leaders. Memphis winning out other than against the Shox is the best we can hope for from them, but I don't think they have a prayer of doing that.

But we're sitting in 6th in the league right now, so it's hard to consider the Shox as "among the league leaders". The collapse after the UConn game is reminiscent of the collapse after Vegas for Turgeon's team following the S16.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

we need Memphis to keep winning, it may be the best win we have.
                    True statement and it hurts on many levels.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Cincinnati and Tulsa both have some bad losses in the non-con. That damaged their NET. They are rebuilding their NET by lowering the NET of the rest of the league leaders. Memphis winning out other than against the Shox is the best we can hope for from them, but I don't think they have a prayer of doing that.

But we're sitting in 6th in the league right now, so it's hard to consider the Shox as "among the league leaders". The collapse after the UConn game is reminiscent of the collapse after Vegas for Turgeon's team following the S16.
                      Good heavens, Aargh -- can you get past your obsession with the victorious, however unsatisfactory, UConn game?

So far the Shocks have gone 2-3 since that win, losing twice on the road. In Turgeon's final season, the two missteps in Vegas led to a 9-0 team losing four straight and six of seven; then, after somewhat righting the ship to get back to 17-9, they sputtered through five straight losses to end the season 17-14 (thus, 8-14 after a good start) and sitting out postseason play. So it's going to take a lot of backsliding beyond what we've seen so far for WSU to do anything even resembling that. In fact, I'd call that "reminiscence" pretty much Adam Schiff-level exaggeration.
                      ​

What we're seeing now may actually more closely resemble the three game losing streak that interrupted an excellent 19-2 start to WSU's 2012-13 season. From there, the Shocks bounced back to win five straight before losing their last two regular season games to end up 5-5 in their last ten games. With the schedule looming ahead, I could see the Shocks having a 5-5 stretch this year as well. (Of course, we all also know what followed that 5-5 sputter seven years ago, although Ron Baker won't be joining the Shocks for the conference tournament this time.) But barring an absolutely Biblical plague of injuries, they aren't about to fold up the way MT's last team did, and I doubt whether a Marshall team would even be capable of something like that debacle.

Comment

• I think that 15-1 before that game and 2-3 after that game is a significant deviation.

After we beat Memphis, we were considered the favorite to win the league. Since the UConn W, we've dropped to 6th in the league. Yeah, I think the W at UConn was a turning point in the season.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I think that 15-1 before that game and 2-3 after that game is a significant deviation.

After we beat Memphis, we were considered the favorite to win the league. Since the UConn W, we've dropped to 6th in the league. Yeah, I think the W at UConn was a turning point in the season.
                          Is there some reason you put the worst possible interpretation on our AAC status? We are actually in a three way tie for fourth place right now. We have played one less game than the others so they list us last. I can see a whole lot of fluctuation coming in the next couple of weeks in the upper standings of the American but that doesn't send me off into the throes of total depression you are projecting.

Comment

• We just need to get more wins than losses between now and end of regular season. In order to go Dancing. But even if we are the last four. We could repeat in what we did a couple of years back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post

Is there some reason you put the worst possible interpretation on our AAC status? We are actually in a three way tie for fourth place right now. We have played one less game than the others so they list us last. I can see a whole lot of fluctuation coming in the next couple of weeks in the upper standings of the American but that doesn't send me off into the throes of total depression you are projecting.
                              bragging about being in a three way tie for fourth place

Comment

• Remaining games:

Cincy - has not lost in Koch arena. Stopping Cumberland will be a problem, Jamie needs to be able to contain their big guy without fouling - could go either way
                                @ Houston - will be a problem, don't see this as a W
                                @ UCF - won by 8 at home. This could be a toss up at UCF
                                Tulane - easiest game left on schedule
                                USF - battle of the worst offenses. Should be a W, won by 13 @ USF
                                @ Cincy - probably L - let's see how we match up tonight though
                                Temple - this team may be our nemesis. Our guards don't match well against their's. Will we zone them like everyone else? Could go either way.
                                @ SMU - SMU can beat anyone, so can't chalk this up as W. Toss up since it's on the road.
                                @ Memphis - Toss up only because Memphis seems to be the team most like us. Started out hot but has not looked good as of late.
                                Tulsa - I like our chances in the revenge game. We shoulda won @ Tulsa and I think we can beat them at home.

I see 3 Ws, 2 Ls and 5 that could go either way. If we win 6 (USF, UCF, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane and Temple), that's not much to hang our hats on. To be comfortable, we probably need to win those 6 plus at least 1 more against a top team. A win @ Houston would pay huge dividends, though that may be too much to ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X