2019-20 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

They wanted to talk basketball with me and I am a sucker because I love the shocks, so we talked. Halfway during the conversation the person said they were a big ku fan and how proud she was that Self had said in the recent article in the paper that WSU was a good team. WTF I was speechless and will not talk to that person again.
    You should see the family thanksgivings I am forced to attend. I learned to bite my tongue many years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

He is in the middle of a recruiting hotbed, but getting guys to stay in Houston is easier said than done. The fan support has been pretty weak, only really picking up last year, but still not even close to what WSU has. Most of the top guys want to play at Texas or blue blood programs like Duke or Kentucky. He was able to turn around a program that’s been basically dead since Phi Slamma Jamma.
      5 out of 13 Houston U. basketball scholarships are from Texas with another 2 from neighboring and the close state of Louisiana. That's a lot of Texas recruits. He obviously has some ties to North Carolina too with 2-3 more players from there. I would step out on a limb to say that if we had millions of high school basketball players to choose from in Kansas, it would help Marshall. He has dipped into the hotbed of Scott City to bring a stud walk on recruit, that no one else wanted, and got another stud 4* in the case of Landry Shamet from neighboring Missouri. GM has tried to bang heads with KU for the couple of 4* recruits from Kansas and lost. Otherwise SCA has been the only Kansas players we've had and they really are only Kansas players for RENT. SCA players almost always call somewhere else home. Wichita isn't putting out 4 and 5* high school recruits anymore. Hell, Wichita isn't even putting out any high 3* recruits. You can't argue to me that recruiting out of a school in Houston Texas and a school in Wichita Kansas is equal, I don't care if it's been 50 years since Houston had Phi Slamma Jamma (and its been only 35 years or so). There are many 4 and 5* basketball players in Houston and Texas and not all of them go to blue blood schools.
      Last edited by Shockm; February 4, 2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

5 out of 13 Houston U. basketball scholarships are from Texas with another 2 from neighboring and the close state of Louisiana. That's a lot of Texas recruits. He obviously has some ties to North Carolina too with 2-3 more players from there. I would step out on a limb to say that if we had millions of high school basketball players to choose from in Kansas, it would help Marshall. He has dipped into the hotbed of Scott City to bring a stud walk on recruit, that no one else wanted, and got another stud 4* in the case of Landry Shamet from neighboring Missouri. GM has tried to bang heads with KU for the couple of 4* recruits from Kansas and lost. Otherwise SCA has been the only Kansas players we've had and they really are only Kansas players for RENT. SCA players almost always call somewhere else home. Wichita isn't putting out 4 and 5* high school recruits anymore. Hell, Wichita isn't even putting out any high 3* recruits. You can't argue to me that recruiting out of a school in Houston Texas and a school in Wichita Kansas is equal, I don't care if it's been 50 years since Houston had Phi Slamma Jamma (and its been only 35 years or so). There are many 4 and 5* basketball players in Houston and Texas and not all of them go to blue blood schools.
        why are you trying to argue with me on this? I'm not saying 3G and Sampson have equal hardships on recruiting. Clearly Texas and Houston is a hotbed, I said that. I'm not arguing that at all. I'm saying Sampson has been able to succeed at a school where many others have failed. Give him some props for that. Recruiting is only part of it. Coaching and building fan support is part of it. Fundraising and improving facilities is part of it. You can think Sampson sucks if you want, but he's done good things at Houston and has had to overcome things, just as 3G has had at Wichita.

Comment

why are you trying to argue with me on this? I'm not saying 3G and Sampson have equal hardships on recruiting. Clearly Texas and Houston is a hotbed, I said that. I'm not arguing that at all. I'm saying Sampson has been able to succeed at a school where many others have failed. Give him some props for that. Recruiting is only part of it. Coaching and building fan support is part of it. Fundraising and improving facilities is part of it. You can think Sampson sucks if you want, but he's done good things at Houston and has had to overcome things, just as 3G has had at Wichita.
          I agree...I don't think I've ever been on a site where there is as much 'fight picking'. as there is here....should be above that ...

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

You should see the family thanksgivings I am forced to attend. I learned to bite my tongue many years ago.
            LOL I understand what your talking about. Unfortunately I have some family members that are chickenhawk fans too. I learned a long time ago that it is a waste of time to talk to them about college basketball. So I don't. And they know that if they start any chickenhawk talk with me, I am going to tell them the true facts. And that generally makes them uncomfortable and angry. They are pretty good at dishing out smack talk , but can't take it when you raise the true facts. So they run and hide and talk with people like themselves that believe the chickenhawk propaganda. I love it. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Houston to Dallas 3.5 hours
              Wichita to Dallas 5.5 hours
              This is really insignificant.

Recruiting distance in general is way less significant than it used to be a few years ago.

Comment

I'm not arguing that at all. I'm saying Sampson has been able to succeed at a school where many others have failed. Give him some props for that.
                I give Sampson props for bringing 5 major NCAA recruiting violations to Indiana. A program that before his arrival had not had a major NCAA violation since 1960.

Well done Kelvin, that’s quite an accomplishment

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Houston to Dallas 3.5 hours
                  Wichita to Dallas 5.5 hours
                  This is really insignificant.

Recruiting distance in general is way less significant than it used to be a few years ago.
                  How far is Houston to Houston compared to Wichita?

Comment

I give Sampson props for bringing 5 major NCAA recruiting violations to Indiana. A program that before his arrival had not had a major NCAA violation since 1960.

Yeah Melvin those recruiting telephone calls were quite egregious; much worse than anything Bobby Knight did while coaching Indiana. Maybe Kelvin was due some consideration after all he was coaching Indiana. Maybe he just got carried away with the fact he was competing on par with other Blue Blood coaches and adopted their recruiting tactics, i.e. Bill Self, Coach K, Roy Williams and John Calipari. Even Jim Calhoun was known to violate such "NCAA rules".

Shocker fans familiar with Beaker tactics against the Shockers should recognize this gambit.

Comment

• Can’t believe I just read that Sampson is the better coach than Marshall on ShockerNet. That’s enough internet for me today...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Yeah Melvin those recruiting telephone calls were quite egregious; much worse than anything Bobby Knight did while coaching Indiana. Maybe Kelvin was due some consideration after all he was coaching Indiana. Maybe he just got carried away with the fact he was competing on par with other Blue Blood coaches and adopted their recruiting tactics, i.e. Bill Self, Coach K, Roy Williams and John Calipari. Even Jim Calhoun was known to violate such "NCAA rules".

Shocker fans familiar with Beaker tactics against the Shockers should recognize this gambit.

I think you misspelled “Oklahoma.” Ops, That’s right...he did that at both institutions. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post
                          Can’t believe I just read that Sampson is the better coach than Marshall on ShockerNet. That’s enough internet for me today...
                          “Ralph Breaks the Internet”; Shockernet ends it... I need beer!
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I agree...I don't think I've ever been on a site where there is as much 'fight picking'. as there is here....should be above that ...
                            It's a message board. Wtf do you expect?

This board is TAME compared to most boards.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Yeah, he should have choked a kid, thrown a chair, talked about accepting rape, sworn like a sailor ...yeah, THEN he would have fit in at Indiana....

He did wrong...got his punishment...moved on...

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                                He did wrong...got his punishment...moved on...
                                let me finish that for you:

He did wrong....got his punishment...moved on....then did the same exact thing at Indiana...then was booted from the NCAA for five years. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X