2019-20 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Mama did your google search miss the attached link? Those telephone contacts which are no longer violations due to NCAA change in rules appear to be similar to what Bill Self and other coaches did regards Shocker recruitment of FVV.
    Back in 1975, the speed limit was fifty-five. I exceeded that speed, and got a ticket. Now, the speed limit on the interstate is seventy-five. The fact that the rule changed several years after I committed the offense does not change the fact that I violated the law, and got caught. Unlike Sampson, however, I didn’t lie about it.

Comment

• We recruit nationally, As a result we are better than almost all of those teams that have all those "local:" Texas kids on them. Also, Sherfield is a KS kid in that he grew up here and played here before college.

Obviously there are more D1 players in TX than KS. That doesn't mean we can't go head to head with Houston for kids and get some of them because Wichita has advantages in the eyes of some over Houston. They have to get more local kids because they don't have the national appeal we do right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post

Back in 1975, the speed limit was fifty-five. I exceeded that speed, and got a ticket. Now, the speed limit on the interstate is seventy-five. The fact that the rule changed several years after I committed the offense does not change the fact that I violated the law, and got caught. Unlike Sampson, however, I didn’t lie about it.
        OK, Mama is the bomb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          Marshall's NCAA tourney record at WSU is heavily skewed by the fact that there was an NBA All-Star PG and an NBA SG here for 4 years. For two of those years there was an NBA PF on the team.

I may have this wrong, but as near as I could find it looks like Marshall's WSU record in the NCAA tourney is 1-2 when Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet were not on the roster.
          Come on, Aargh; that's just silly.

Marshall has a better record with NBA talent than without? Well, shazam -- what a revelation! That's probably also true of most other coaches who manage to recruit high quality players too, don't you think? If you're going to criticize Marshall for leaving himself with a bunch of newbies this year, don't you also have to give him kudos for bringing in -- and also coaching up, which is not something all coaches do as well as he does -- the NBA-level talent that helped give him his above-average NCAA record at WSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
            We recruit nationally, As a result we are better than almost all of those teams that have all those "local:" Texas kids on them. Also, Sherfield is a KS kid in that he grew up here and played here before college.

Obviously there are more D1 players in TX than KS. That doesn't mean we can't go head to head with Houston for kids and get some of them because Wichita has advantages in the eyes of some over Houston. They have to get more local kids because they don't have the national appeal we do right now.
            Topshock, this is an excellent example. For some, I would say quite a few, kids coming home is a real draw. Houston has two kids on their roster right now that I think are good indicators of the advantage Houston has simply because of their sheer size. They have a kid on their team - Quentin Grimes - that as far as I can tell started out at KU but moved back home to Houston. But this isn't just any recruit - he is listed on what I'm looking at as a top-10 (ten) recruit. Another kid Dejan Jarreau started out at UMASS but transferred to UH. He is from New ORleans. I assume this is likely a bit like Teddy Allen where he wanted to get back closer to home and LA is next door to TX. Aaaaand, he is also a former top-100 HS recruit. I think at least with one, and likely with both, just being at UH helped. Now just being in Wichita helped get Sherfield. But Houston is literally 10+ times bigger than Wichita and is going to have that many more future transfers that may want to come back home.

This recent discussion has all been in the context of comparing Sampson and Marshall. You make another great observation: we recruit nationally. We do because we have become a national name. And we can thank Gregg Marshall for that. We are a brand within CBB. Who would have ever thought that? I kept reading a bunch of what I think is nonsense about Marshall and it struck a nerve in me. One because I just think some of the hot takes after a tough loss were just objectively wrong. But also because I think a lot of people forget what an incredible impact Marshall has had on the program, school, and community. He has embraced our town, he has the same blue-collar work-your-tail-off mentality that we have, and he and his team are tremendous representatives of the school. The success that HE has brought is - at least with some fans - working against him now. Some fans think it is terrible that a team lead by mostly FR and SO's is only 17-4 and has been ranked. We need to enjoy every minute of this year - I am old enough to remember how easily it can disappear.
            Last edited by Teddy Graham; February 4, 2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• Thread title: Games Of Interest

Thread Contents: Posts of little interest
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post

Interesting analogy, unfortunately wide of the mark I was offering. Point I was trying to make and alluded to in the link is that Sampson was found guilty and punished by the NCAA and University of Indiana for actions committed routinely by NCAA coaches; then post the punishment NCAA changed the rules.

More telling and unlike other "blue blood" coaches is that Sampson did not pay money to players and agents and did not create phony academic programs to keep players eligible. IMO Sampson's cardinal sin was that he was challenging the dominance of KU in the Big 12 and had returned Indiana to "blue blood" status in just two years - Indiana was ranked 15 in the AP due to a 24-2 record.

Comment

• Or maybe he simply lacks integrity.

- violated rules
                  - violate same rules at next stop
                  - lied about it to administrators
                  - lied about it to NCAA investigators
                  Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; February 5, 2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                      Or maybe he simply lacks integrity.

- violated rules
                      Just like Bill Self, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, Roy Williams, John Calipari, Rick Pitino, Jim Calhoun and Coach K - so your point is what?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        some kids just wanna watch halftime shows every night
                        And some kids go to schools so they can get the MONEY. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!

Don't know which is worse....(sorry to rehash this already dead horse.....
                        1. The kids grabbing for the cash at a school where it has been CONFIRMED that players received monies.
                        2. The people in the stands are smiling, happy, and have no problem with this.
                        3. Summary of NCAA Regulations Division I - NCAA.org
                        You are not eligible for participation in a sport if you have ever: (1) Taken pay, or the promise of pay, for competing in that sport. [Bylaw 12.1. ... (3) Played on any professional athletics team as defined by the NCAA in that sport. AND THE NCAA DOESN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS EQUALLY, ACROSS THE BOARD.

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                          Or maybe he simply lacks integrity.

- violated rules

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Just like Bill Self, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, Roy Williams, John Calipari, Rick Pitino, Jim Calhoun and Coach K - so your point is what?
                            Oh you forgot Larry Brown, Bruce Pearl and Jim Boeheim but your forgiven. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Oh you forgot Larry Brown, Bruce Pearl and Jim Boeheim but your forgiven. LOL
                              You guys forgot Jerry Tarkanian, Steve Fisher, Eddie Sutton, Kevin Ollie, Jim Harrick, Sean Miller and Dave Bliss - throw in Will Wade for good measure

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

You guys forgot Jerry Tarkanian, Steve Fisher, Eddie Sutton, Kevin Ollie, Jim Harrick, Sean Miller and Dave Bliss - throw in Will Wade for good measure
                                Just so we remember to add Kelvin Sampson

Comment

Working...
                                X