No announcement yet.

Realistic shot at NIT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was and still am of the opinion that the AAC railroaded our chances of establishing a better conference record by stacking the early schedule against us out of the gate. I get it...but it was obviously intentional.

Had it been reversed and had less upper half teams early in the season...our new squad would've had some time to develope, work out the kinks and gain some confidence for the latter (tougher) part of the conference schedule. Who knows...maybe we would have been a little more seasoned by that time and could've grabbed a couple/few additional wins.

Having said that...it was what it was and should be considered a positive valuable measure of MTXE moving forward to TOMORROW!!!!

GO SHOCKS!!!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      Needs these teams to lose today, Wednesday (03/13/19):

Clemson or North Carolina State -
      Oregon -
      Saint John's -
      UCLA -
      Syracuse -
      Butler -
      Nebraska -
      Colorado -
      Arizona -
      Arizona just dropped to USC.

Comment

• WuShock Reaper
        WuShock Reaper commented
        Editing a comment
        That helped a little. :)

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
      I was and still am of the opinion that the AAC railroaded our chances of establishing a better conference record by stacking the early schedule against us out of the gate. I get it...but it was obviously intentional.

Had it been reversed and had less upper half teams early in the season...our new squad would've had some time to develope, work out the kinks and gain some confidence for the latter (tougher) part of the conference schedule. Who knows...maybe we would have been a little more seasoned by that time and could've grabbed a couple/few additional wins.

Having said that...it was what it was and should be considered a positive valuable measure of MTXE moving forward to TOMORROW!!!!

GO SHOCKS!!!!!
      It was intentional. We were projected 8th. We weren't supposed to be good. They wanted to highlight the big games at the end of the season to maximize exposure and bids (like it tried to do last year too). It's exactly what they should do as a conference.

Comment

• Here's one NIT prognostication that came across my twitter feed:

Comment

• WuShock Reaper's Current predictions (as of games thru 03/12/19)
          NET RPI SOS Team Conference NIT Rank NIT Seed T W % C W %
          38 62 5 Texas Big 12 1 1 52% 44%
          41 60 180 Furman Southern 2 1 76% 72%
          46 42 200 Belmont Ohio Valley 3 1 83% 89%
          48 70 206 Lipscomb Atlantic Sun 4 1 77% 88%
          51 82 44 Indiana Big Ten 5 2 55% 40%
          53 55 50 Memphis American Athletic 6 2 61% 61%
          54 51 15 Creighton Big East 7 2 57% 50%
          57 30 109 UNCG Southern 8 2 81% 83%
          58 61 21 Alabama SEC 9 3 55% 44%
          60 35 118 Toledo Mid-American 10 3 80% 72%
          61 66 69 Oregon Pac-12 11 3 61% 56%
          63 81 24 Butler Big East 12 3 52% 39%
          64 87 49 Arkansas SEC 13 4 55% 44%
          65 69 90 Dayton Atlantic 10 14 4 68% 72%
          68 43 116 Davidson Atlantic 10 15 4 73% 78%
          69 77 110 Colorado Pac-12 16 4 63% 56%
          70 84 47 Xavier Big East 17 5 55% 50%
          71 67 159 East Tennessee State Southern 18 5 71% 72%
          72 91 126 San Francisco West Coast 19 5 67% 56%
          74 48 196 Hofstra Colonial Athletic 20 5 79% 83%
          75 89 55 Providence Big East 21 6 55% 39%
          77 78 78 Georgetown Big East 22 6 61% 50%
          80 94 30 South Carolina SEC 23 6 50% 61%
          81 105 202 Fresno State Mountain West 24 6 72% 72%
          84 106 96 Oregon State Pac-12 25 7 60% 56%
          85 63 61 BYU West Coast 26 7 59% 69%
          87 49 150 Utah Valley Western Athletic 27 7 72% 75%
          89 92 77 Tulsa American Athletic 28 7 58% 44%
          90 76 60 Wichita State American Athletic 29 8 57% 56%
          104 127 317 South Dakota State The Summit League 30 8 74% 88%
          127 128 133 Loyola-Chicago Missouri Valley 31 8 59% 67%
          223 182 263 Campbell Big South 32 8 59% 75%

First four out: Southern Mississippi, Grand Canyon, Arizona, South Florida

1. I primary use the new "NCAA NET Rankings" for ordering.
          2. Teams must have a winning record (T W % = Total Winning Percentage)
          3. Teams must not be below 4 games of 50% in conference play (CW % = Conference Winning percentage).
          4. I take a conservative approach to overall rankings (to provide a little cushion) as we are ahead of Providence and Tulsa).
          5. This overall ranking will change as each day of games is played over the next 5 days thru Sunday.
          Last edited by WuShock Reaper; March 13, 2019, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Unless it were my actual job, which fortunately it isn't, I wouldn't do this for the NCAA, much less the NIT -- so kudos to you for your industriousness, Reaper (or boredom and/or idleness, but I'll look at it in the most favorable light). But I do think you may be going a little overboard in your conservatism when you not just primarily, but in fact entirely, use NET to establish your rankings, because we already know from experience that the NIT at-large field is not chosen strictly by NCAA metrics (i.e, RPI in the past, NET starting this year).

Just win the one you're supposed to win, Shocks, and maybe repay Temple the loss you owe them (although I agree with those who have said that beating Temple might paradoxically actually hurt WSU's NIT chances), and let the chips fall where they may. I think they're likely to fall in WSU's favor, and very possibly produce a home game that one might not expect by just looking at theoretical seeding. And if you can get past Temple and then win even more, so much the better.

• My Prediction for the Shocker's based on games thru yesterday (03/13/19):

moved the shockers from "Last Four In" to "First Four Out"

Comment

I was and still am of the opinion that the AAC railroaded our chances of establishing a better conference record by stacking the early schedule against us out of the gate. I get it...but it was obviously intentional.

GO SHOCKS!!!!!
            Alternate theory, having the difficult games early provided us the challenge from through which we emerged.

At the very least, the season would feel much more depressing if we started 9-2 only to end 1-6.

Comment

GO SHOCKS!!!!!
              Was Shamet or Reaves on the team when schedules were announced? If either were on the roster at the time, and if roster and subsequent scheduling was influenced, I bet the AAC thought they were going to have some early killer conference matchups.

Comment

• Just way too many upsets in the conference tournaments. I feel like the Shox are going to have to win a minimum of 2 games, maybe even 3 in Memphis, to have an NIT shot at this point. If not, I guess our youngsters can get some valuable experience in the CBI. I'm of the mindset that any postseason minutes are good for the youngsters, even if the CBI does usually have a completely crap field.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGirl View Post
                  Belmont
                  Lipscomb
                  Hofstra
                  Loyola
                  Campbell
                  Fairleigh Dickinson
                  Wright State
                  South Dakota State
                  No additions today but a real scare in the C-USA as #1 ODU beat #9 La Tech after trailing 38-27 with 16+ to go, 48-43 under 5, and 56-49 with 1:36 remaining. In addition to a lot of scoring, they needed DeQuan Bracey missing 2 free throws and a 3 at the buzzer after making their own 3 with 4 seconds left for the deciding 1 point margin. #Whew

Comment

• NET ranking improved by three spots to 87 after the beat down of ECU. After our win tonight, against Temple, we will be safely in the NIT tournament.

Go Shockers!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
                      Just way too many upsets in the conference tournaments. I feel like the Shox are going to have to win a minimum of 2 games, maybe even 3 in Memphis, to have an NIT shot at this point. If not, I guess our youngsters can get some valuable experience in the CBI. I'm of the mindset that any postseason minutes are good for the youngsters, even if the CBI does usually have a completely crap field.
                      Have you seen the CBI fields the last couple years, Its a hard pass on a CBI invite for me.

Comment

• shockerfanmas
                        shockerfanmas commented
                        Editing a comment
                        But it's not up to you or me. It's up to the team. From what I'm hearing, if a postseason offer comes their way, they are ready to accept a CBI bid. especially if it means getting another home game. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but I'm thinking it probably will

• Last years CBI teams

Campbell Fighting Camels

Canisius Golden Griffins
                      Central Arkansas Bears
                      Colgate Raiders
                      Eastern Washington Eagles
                      Grand Canyon Antelopes
                      Jacksonville State Gamecocks
                      Mercer Bears
                      Miami-Ohio RedHawks
                      New Orleans Privateers
                      North Texas Mean Green
                      San Francisco Dons
                      Seattle Redhawks
                      South Dakota Coyotes
                      Utah Valley Wolverines
                      UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros

Comment

• 12eagle
                        12eagle commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We wouldn't play a home and home with a single one of those teams so we have no business being in a tournament with them.

• SHOCKvalue
                        SHOCKvalue commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That list makes the MVC look like the NBA.

• WSU should not associate with a tournament of lower level teams such as these.

Perception is important.

If you want to run with the big dogs then you can't piss with the pups.

If you want to be considered a Major then you can't play in Mid-major tournaments.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                        SHOCKvalue commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Half those schools aren’t even mid-major, they’re low major. Not a dig, but factual.

• How the game goes tonight is obviously important, but the most important factor for an NIT bid is out of our hands.

The 10 one-bid leagues yet to finish their tournaments:

Conference: 1 seed/Regular Season Conference Champ
                      SWAC: Prairie View A&M
                      MEAC: Norfolk State
                      Southland: Sam Houston State
                      Big Sky: Montana
                      Sun Belt: Georgia State
                      Ivy: Harvard
                      CUSA: Old Dominion
                      America East: Vermont
                      Big West: UC Irvine
                      WAC: New Mexico State

Every loss by one of these teams guarantees one less NIT at-large bid available. No upsets please!

Comment

Working...
                      X