Realistic shot at NIT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

Possible, but as Reaper noted above, the magic number they used last year (RPI) let teams in at #94 and #95, and one of them (#94) got a third seed. Of course, that particular team was from the glorious Big 12...

Still, the NCAA has never been noted for its reluctance to exasperate fans of teams in "mid-major" leagues.

You think the NCAA tournament screws the mid-major schools? “The NIT is even more rigged,” Tod Kowalczyk said. The Toledo coach hopped on the Real Talk ...

Comment

• FadedCrown
      FadedCrown commented
      Editing a comment
      What happened to that guys face?

Originally posted by Triticum aestivum L. View Post
    Our rpi and NET forecasts go down about 10 spots with 2 more wins. Will likely go down again with another win over ECU. Add in a loss and we are below 100 in NET. Our SOS takes a big hit also. I don't see an NIT this year. Our recent record is good, but there are no good wins in there. The body of work is just not there.
    I suggest you look at the resumes of the teams that generally end up in the NIT. Let's just say there is a reason they end up in the NIT. If we win a quarterfinal game against UCF we are a lock for the NIT. Compare 1-6 q1, 4-6 q2 to say 1-6 q1 and 3-4 q2 and a horrid q4 loss. That second resume is Oregon who is a lock to be in the NIT. Also the NIT has NEVER taken a team below .500 overall of which there will be at least 5 teams ranked above us in NET(can't find if this is official criteria or not).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post

I suggest you look at the resumes of the teams that generally end up in the NIT. . . If we win a quarterfinal game against UCF
      How about this compromise, I will take the time to look at resumes IF we win a quarterfinal game against UCF.

My earlier comments stand, we are 101 in KenPom right now and 90 in NET. After we win tonight, our RPI is forecast to fall 26 spots from 73 to 99 and NET will move in the wrong direction also. Our SOS is forecast to fall from 32 to 61 over the next 2 games. Unfortunately, 2 additional wins and our resume' is getting much worse, not better. Add in another Neutral game win vs. ECU and get no help with metrics.

If we win against UCF (big if IMO) and double our Q1 wins on the season, then we have a chance and that still means the NCAA/NIT takes us over teams with better NET. I would appreciate JH4P's perspective if he is still around.

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe they will do that

• Stickboy46
        Stickboy46 commented
        Editing a comment
        Baylor still has a Chance to move to Q1 for us

• WSUwatcher
        WSUwatcher commented
        Editing a comment
        Moving in the right direction in Kenpom, at least -- up to #96 as of a few minutes ago, with a defensive ranking better than last year's (no great surprise there) and continuing to get better, whereas last season it kept getting worse.

By the way, some of the projections we see regarding RPI (for what it's worth at this point), and also NET, are almost comically off the mark.

So far Warren Nolan has WSU dropping from 73rd to 75th (not 99th) in his Live RPI following the win over East Carolina, and his current NET reading for the Shocks is still 90th.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        By the way, some of the projections we see regarding RPI (for what it's worth at this point), and also NET, are almost comically off the mark.

So far Warren Nolan has WSU dropping from 73rd to 75th (not 99th) in his Live RPI following the win over East Carolina, and his current NET reading for the Shocks is still 90th.
        Hypotheticals.

Comment

Before tonight's games, I have the Shockers as one of the "last four teams in" in the 2019 NIT with a 5-6 seed.

Need to root for a loss from these teams in tonight's games:

Seton Hall won - Marquette blew a 12 point lead with about 5:00 minutes to play.
          Florida lost - ha ha Florida, they lost by 1 point at home against #10 LSU
          Rutgers lost - barely lost to Penn State by 1 point after being down 18 at the half
          Creighton won - in OT against Providence, but Providence is eliminated from NIT consideration
          Arkansas won - crushed Vanderbilt who is now 0-16 in the SEC
          Georgetown lost - were crushed by DePaul, yes! DEPAUL!!!
          Ohio State lost - by 18 points to Northwestern
          North Carolina State lost - another ha ha ha as Georgia Tech wins with 1.4 seconds with a dunk
          Clemson won - at Notre Dame by 2 points
          Oregon won - beat the other WSU by 11
          Oregon State lost - lost by 5 n OT to Washington, thank you Huskies.
          Last edited by WuShock Reaper; March 7, 2019, 05:28 AM.

Comment

First things first... I'm sure HCGM will have everyones attention Saturday night, but they need to be focused on the task at hand.
            I just finished watching Tulane give USF all they wanted. I'm not trying to portray Tulane as some developing power, but they play hard for Dunleavey and will pulling out all the stops to keep from being an 'Ofer' for the league season.
            Shocks are in ideal position to finish out the league year and secure the 6th seed. They will have to do a bit more than just show up Saturday night.

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• AndShock
              AndShock commented
              Editing a comment
              I’d be curious to know if Gregg has ever lost to a 300+ ranked team.

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              As a note, USF was without junior and starting PG LaQuincy Rideau who plays over 30 minutes a game, 2nd in scoring and leads in assists (by a lot). Familiar name Xavier Castaneda started at PG and played 33 minutes.

• BOBB
              BOBB commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a game we 100% should win. Also a game we 100% could lose. This Shocker squad isn’t good enough to beat anybody by just showing up. Play hard and smart and we win.

Tulane is the worse team in the country.

Comment

Just came across this site that has an NIT bracketology and has the Shocks as a 6 seed.

Our Bracketology for 2024! We list projections for all of NCAA Basketball tournament seeds as well as the NIT tournament in March.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                Tulane is the worse team in the country.
                Mr. O,
                As mentioned they are not a rising power, not even close. But they are not the worst team in the country.
                Part of my point is not only did they just play USF down to the last possession, I was also in attendance back in '97 in STL when WSU lost in the play-in round to a 1-28 Drake team (and still emotionally scarred from that night).
                Just saying they need to take care of business or as Big Al used to say "Just win, baby."

That is all.
                Last edited by ShockRef; March 6, 2019, 09:50 PM.
                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• shocktown
                  shocktown commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was there as well. Not to send you into the fetal position, but who is Tulane’s Lynrick Rogers?

That Warren Nolan is full of sh!t man.:poster_shocks:

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                  Shocktoberfest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Almost as much as Bob Denver.

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just curious, Wheatman -- what makes you think Warren Nolan is clueless?

• Triticum aestivum L.
                  Triticum aestivum L. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bob Denver as in Gilligan??

I just said that about Warren Nolan because I used his site to opine in Post #33 above. I drilled down to the Team Sheets and expected results and reported my findings based on that. Turns out he was waaay off with regards to RPI and SOS projections.

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                Just came across this site that has an NIT bracketology and has the Shocks as a 6 seed.

Our Bracketology for 2024! We list projections for all of NCAA Basketball tournament seeds as well as the NIT tournament in March.
                No-brainer. Looking at some of the other teams projected, how could the Shocks not be in?

Comment

The NIT has NEVER taken a sum-.500 team but the NCAA has and does??? Interesting.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Keep in mind the difference with an overall sub .500 record vs a conference sub .500 record which is what has been mostly discussed.

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Mr. O,
                  As mentioned they are not a rising power, not even close. But they are not the worst team in the country.
                  Part of my point is not only did they just play USF down to the last possession, I was also in attendance back in '97 in STL when WSU lost in the play-in round to a 1-28 Drake team (and still emotionally scarred from that night).
                  Just saying they need to take care of business or as Big Al used to say "Just win, baby."

That is all.
                  THIS!!!! At this point avoiding horrible losses is bigger than gaining moderate wins, at least for the collective psyche.
                  When Tulane was here, I was struck with how untalented they were but how HARD they played... It's their Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post

In their NCAA tournament projection, Loyola is in as a . . . get this . . . 16 seed!

Comment

• Aargh
                      Aargh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yikes! MVC moves from having a F4 team to getting a 16 seed in one year? That's got Doug Elgin written all over it. Either that or the emphasis on football at MVC schools is bankrupting their basketball programs.
                  Working...
                  X