Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Burton and Torres concern me the most heading into next year. They both need to find their shots. Other than that, my biggest concerns are getting some contribution from the freshmen, IPBC figuring out how to bring better effort, JE getting stronger and MU getting healthy and in shape.
    I doubt RT will be back.

Comment

• 2pt.png
      3pt.png
      Breaking the season into thirds:

2pt-3pt.png

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• What I suspect that mostly shows, im4, is that Dennis and Stevenson shot better against lesser competition, dropped off against the very tough early conference schedule, and have picked it back up since then with the help of lesser defense and (probably) more work on their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Keep hanging on to that "best shooter ever" thought -- stats and eyeballs do not support it.
          I think he was just saying that was his reputation coming in.

Comment

• Following up further on Prez's previous point that WSU's offensive problem isn't 3's, it's layups: tonight WSU hit 30.8% from three, and just 36.1% from inside the arc, while finding ways to make even a dunk an adventure. That's not impressive. Fortunately, they won anyway, but that kind of thing probably won't get it done on the road against an SMU team that seems to be a tough matchup for them.

Comment

• I think RT will be back. Coach likes to have multiple pgs. I’m sure he will work on his shot this summer and hit the weights hard. He will get minutes next year. Give our freshmen pg time to adjust to D1.

Comment

• N Crestway
                N Crestway commented
                Editing a comment
                Find it hard to believe that Marshall would dump a juco All-American after his first year of D-1 ball. Not good optics for the program.

• Shock Top
                Shock Top commented
                Editing a comment
                That would be true, if the RT WSU got was the RT that WSU recruited.

So far, he hasn't been.

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post
              I think RT will be back. Coach likes to have multiple pgs. I’m sure he will work on his shot this summer and hit the weights hard. He will get minutes next year. Give our freshmen pg time to adjust to D1.
              He’s not going to get bigger or stronger .. dude is 23. If they bring in a Guard he’s gone. He’s got two points coming in next year plus Burton.
              Last edited by top20shock; February 28, 2019, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a feeling it’s going to be RT’s decision come end of the year meetings. He’ll have options of either getting better or losing the few minutes he has. Competition for his position next year is going to be fierce.

• Originally posted by top20shock View Post

He’s not going to get bigger or stronger .. dude is 23. If they bring in a Guard he’s gone. He’s got two points coming in next year plus Burton.
              I simply do not understand this statement. The fact that a player is 23 years old has nothing to do with the player getting stronger or bigger over the summer. We have one of the best conditioning coach in the country under Kerry R. Granted it's rare for a player to grow in height, but how RT improves over the summer in his strength depends on the work he puts in. In addition, we only have 1 true point guard coming in next year. That's Noah Fernandez.

Second, whether RT stays with the team may come down to his decision. But I don't think Coach runs off the team''s second leader in assists. Before last night JB had 88 assists, RT had 74, and SHJ had 74. Nobody else is close. In turnovers JB had 51, SHJ 44, and RT 30.

It's clear RT has not shot the ball the way we all had hoped or what his past had shown. I don't understand it. But it reminds me of Robert Redford''s statement he made to his highschool sweetheart Glenn Close in the movie "The Natural" " I lost my confidence" Maybe we should wait to see how R handles this adversity in his basketball career before we say he will not be on the team next year. Lots of juco players have struggled in their first year and came back their second to have good years.

Comment

• "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." - attributed to baseball player Yogi Berra - but likely based on an old Danish proverb

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I simply do not understand this statement. The fact that a player is 23 years old has nothing to do with the player getting stronger or bigger over the summer. We have one of the best conditioning coach in the country under Kerry R. Granted it's rare for a player to grow in height, but how RT improves over the summer in his strength depends on the work he puts in. In addition, we only have 1 true point guard coming in next year. That's Noah Fernandez.

Second, whether RT stays with the team may come down to his decision. But I don't think Coach runs off the team''s second leader in assists. Before last night JB had 88 assists, RT had 74, and SHJ had 74. Nobody else is close. In turnovers JB had 51, SHJ 44, and RT 30.

It's clear RT has not shot the ball the way we all had hoped or what his past had shown. I don't understand it. But it reminds me of Robert Redford''s statement he made to his highschool sweetheart Glenn Close in the movie "The Natural" " I lost my confidence" Maybe we should wait to see how R handles this adversity in his basketball career before we say he will not be on the team next year. Lots of juco players have struggled in their first year and came back their second to have good years.
                  He may be a great guy but he can’t shoot or play lock down defense. You will also notice he’s rarely if ever in the game at crunch time because he gets sped up. His handles are ok... he has very good court vision . Bottom line he’s a low major Point. WSU will have three guys to handle the point next year and if they sign a guy like Sherfield RT is gone.
                  Look, IMO he’s not as good as Daishon Smith.
                  Last edited by top20shock; March 1, 2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• asiseeit
                    asiseeit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    not even close to DS - he got beat so easily to the hoop last night it was just sad
                    to see and he came right out after. just missed completing an atomic bomb on his
                    first or second touch. he could have as many as four ( don't forget TB ) in front of him
                    next year.

• Originally posted by top20shock View Post

He may be a great guy but he can’t shoot or play lock down defense. You will also notice he’s rarely if ever in the game at crunch time because he gets sped up. His handles are ok... he has very good court vision . Bottom line he’s a low major Point. WSU will have three guys to handle the point next year and if they sign a guy like Sherfield RT is gone.
                  Look, IMO he’s not as good as Daishon Smith.
                  Right now nobody on this team plays lock down defense. Maybe DD. And I recall that Joe Ragland and Clevin Hanna did not play lock down defense their first year either. As far as DS is concered he was a great defender but clearly lacking in basket ball IQ . That's some thing you can't have from a pg.

Not sure why Grant Sherfield is mentioned. This guy signed with UCLA out of highschool andi is taking official visits to play for only so-called power 5 schools. Given the fact that he has some history with Wichita you would expect more positive feedback from him. Yet we hear nothing. Not one comment from him about his unofficial visit WSU at the Menphis game. Not even a photo like we saw with Gavyn Elkamil. I guess time will tell how this all turns out. Go shocks.

Comment

• Was Daishon Smith a great defender?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Right now nobody on this team plays lock down defense. Maybe DD. And I recall that Joe Ragland and Clevin Hanna did not play lock down defense their first year either. As far as DS is concered he was a great defender but clearly lacking in basket ball IQ . That's some thing you can't have from a pg.

Not sure why Grant Sherfield is mentioned. This guy signed with UCLA out of highschool andi is taking official visits to play for only so-called power 5 schools. Given the fact that he has some history with Wichita you would expect more positive feedback from him. Yet we hear nothing. Not one comment from him about his unofficial visit WSU at the Menphis game. Not even a photo like we saw with Gavyn Elkamil. I guess time will tell how this all turns out. Go shocks.
                      I thought it was an official visit, but same diff

Comment

• Shockm
                        Shockm commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You're right. It was an Official Visit.

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                      Was Daishon Smith a great defender?
                      Lol. I get your point. I did say great but now that I remember Coach was always on DS case to play up to his athleticism on the defense. So maybe your right.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well, he was second on the team in steals and bit closer to 1st than 3rd on the team. Without looking, do you know who was first. Hint: He was 4th in assists, just behind Daishon Smith.

• pie n eye
                        pie n eye commented
                        Editing a comment
                        McDuffie?

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes. Obviously, the upgrade in leagues will affect individual stats, but MM was very good at steals and assists as a sophomore while leading the team in scoring (just barely, over Shamet).

Stats that haven't changed much or improved are minutes per game (+7.5), FT% (+.023 / from .819 to .842), 3pt% (+.013 / from .355 to .368), points per game (+6.7), TO per game (+0.28 / from 1.39pg to 1.67pg), fouls per game (+0.11 / from 2.0pg to 2.11pg) steals (-0.13pg / from 1.17pg to 1.04pg)

Stats that have changed downward (worse) are 2pt% (-.050 / from .508 to .458), assists per game (-0.80 / from 1.69pg to 0.89pg 43% drop), A/T (-0.69 / from a plus .22 assists to TOs to a plus .88 TOs to assists), blocks per game (-.20 / 11 blocks in 36 games (.31bpg) to 3 blocks in 27 games (.11bpg))

Of course, the players around you make a difference as well.

• If we return all 4 centers, either Poo or Mo must redshirt. Duff leaves and we bring in Teddy and Gordon. SHJ leaves and we bring in TE and Fernandes. We are deeper even if we don't get anybody else.

Comment

Working...
                      X