Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUY: DD, ES, JB, JE, TA

These guys have clearly separated themselves from the pack of newcomers in my eyes.

Although we haven't seen TA in a Shocker uniform he already proved he can score against BXII competition as a true freshman, which is enough to have me invest in him

-----------

HOLD: RT, AM, IPBC, MU*

There are moments when I think all of these players will play a big role in the future, and moments where they leaving me scratching my head wondering if they have what it takes. If RT can continue passing like he did last night and AM can start being more aggressive and slamming the ball through the rim like he did against Cinci, they could creep into the Buy category.

*I include MU here because his injury has prevented us from seeing anything to go off since early in the season. I do agree a redshirt next season could be something good for both him and the team

------------

SELL: RB

Love the kids attitude and work rate. If I could pick any player on the team to look like, it would be him; dude looks like he was chiseled out of granite. That being said, he just isn't skilled enough for play at this level. I'd love to see him bully people in the MVC in the future though.
    The Assman

Comment

• 1979Shocker
      1979Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with most of this. Just a couple of things, though. Like you said, we haven't seen TA play Shocker basketball. He was able to score against Big 12 competition, but does the Big 12 even play defense? Also AM is okay when he plays against players of his caliber. But against athletic front court players, I think he is just too slow.

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
    BUY: DD, ES, JB, JE, TA

These guys have clearly separated themselves from the pack of newcomers in my eyes.

Although we haven't seen TA in a Shocker uniform he already proved he can score against BXII competition as a true freshman, which is enough to have me invest in him

-----------

HOLD: RT, AM, IPBC, MU*

There are moments when I think all of these players will play a big role in the future, and moments where they leaving me scratching my head wondering if they have what it takes. If RT can continue passing like he did last night and AM can start being more aggressive and slamming the ball through the rim like he did against Cinci, they could creep into the Buy category.

*I include MU here because his injury has prevented us from seeing anything to go off since early in the season. I do agree a redshirt next season could be something good for both him and the team

------------

Love the kids attitude and work rate. If I could pick any player on the team to look like, it would be him; dude looks like he was chiseled out of granite. That being said, he just isn't skilled enough for play at this level. I'd love to see him bully people in the MVC in the future though.

Love the kids attitude and work rate. If I could pick any player on the team to look like, it would be him; dude looks like he was chiseled out of granite. That being said, he just isn't skilled enough for play at this level. I'd love to see him bully people in the MVC in the future though. I remember thinking the same thing about Rashad Kelly and he turned out to be the ultimate garbage man RB is a stronger more athletic version. I hope he sticks around and has a similar career.

Comment

• pinstripers
      pinstripers commented
      Editing a comment
      Rashard Kelly was 6'7"

• wusphlash So those folks that are on the fence about Ashbjorn, forget it. You can’t tell me worse case scenario, there isn’t a spot on the team (even the 12th or 13th guy) for someone that is 7’ tall, chiseled out of granite that is a good offensive player and a great teammate. Yes, he’s not a great matchup for a mobile 5 but there are also players that don’t match up well against him. Kudos to you for seeing this before most of this board did, yours truly included.

Comment

• wusphlash
      wusphlash commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. He got a chance and that's all I was asking for.

• Midtgaard is already better than Wamukota was. He has a lot of upside and can bang with the Biggest of bigs. He’s not going to carry a team but he doesn’t have to. JUST DUNK!!

Comment

• IPBC and JE need to get into the weight room and remake their bodies. Once they become explosive they’ll both have the potential to be excellent players. Chandler could make a huge move IMO and could play the 4 and 5 with authority.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
        Shocktoberfest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Agree totally. IPBC could make an enormous jump with a great Summer.

• BOBB
        BOBB commented
        Editing a comment
        IPBC needs the treadmill more than the weights, but fitness for all indeed

• The team definitely needs more quality big men. So far there is not a player north 6'6 who looks like a future stud. That is not to say that they couldn't develop with some hard work in the gym and the weight room. Until one is recruited, the team will just need to work on developing what they have. Jamie E. Is the closet and by next season he might by the kind of guy who could be more of a force. Midtgard as somebody mentioned earlier is just too slow for athletic big men. He will probably always be a guy that will have his minutes limited when facing mobile centers.

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to keep reminding myself how Shaq (constant fouls) JT (lazy), Stutz (clumsy/stuffed by guards), and Miller (fifi), looked in their early years.

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        All bigs take sustained minutes to go from tentative to “players” at this level. I never understood why so many posters don’t get this - when history has proven this point over and over again.

• Shockadaisical
        Shockadaisical commented
        Editing a comment
        Proshox you might want to slow down and read my post a little closer. There is not anything in it that suggests impatience, but rather just the fact at this point none of them, except perhaps Jamie have shown great potential this season. Developing in the weight room and in the gym is how they would get better. Right? In discussing the future I am merely mentioning at this point that most of them are not irreplaceable if the right recruit came along.

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post
      The team definitely needs more quality big men. So far there is not a player north 6'6 who looks like a future stud. That is not to say that they couldn't develop with some hard work in the gym and the weight room. Until one is recruited, the team will just need to work on developing what they have. Jamie E. Is the closet and by next season he might by the kind of guy who could be more of a force. Midtgard as somebody mentioned earlier is just too slow for athletic big men. He will probably always be a guy that will have his minutes limited when facing mobile centers.
      Dominant big men are a rare breed. How many dominant big men are there in the AAC this year? Zero.

Comment

• Shockadaisical
        Shockadaisical commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you just made my point for me. You hold on to what you got got for the future, unless you get lucky and recruit a real stud big man. Most of those guys usually end up with the blue blood programs.

• Has anyone noticed that for the last several games Asborjn has been a pick-and-roll savant? Almost Wessel like (setting picks). Once his teammates start rewarding him for the effort, and I have no doubt they will, look out!
      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 22, 2019, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• Chickenhawk hunter
        Chickenhawk hunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Samaje should be eating defenses alive with this, but I have yet to see this from him. Hopefully, HCGM will help him see this in the film room. It would really open so many doors for him and the team. RT is great at this and I think next year Asborjn will really benefit from this and so will the team.

• ShockingButTrue
        ShockingButTrue commented
        Editing a comment
        I kind of expect it. Paul Miller type potential.

He contests shots of the defensive end too, of late.

• Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post
      The team definitely needs more quality big men. So far there is not a player north 6'6 who looks like a future stud. That is not to say that they couldn't develop with some hard work in the gym and the weight room. Until one is recruited, the team will just need to work on developing what they have. Jamie E. Is the closet and by next season he might by the kind of guy who could be more of a force. Midtgard as somebody mentioned earlier is just too slow for athletic big men. He will probably always be a guy that will have his minutes limited when facing mobile centers.
      the three headed monster In the post is averaging 16 and 12 in AAC play.

Morris and Nurger combined for 18 and 9 as seniors.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I would also like to see the block numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

I would also like to see the block numbers
          Morris and Nurger averaged 2 blocks last year in conference play.

Echineche, Midtgaard and Chandler are averaging 3.2 in conference play (2.1, .8, .3).
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• I think block numbers are easier to read from my seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Let's be honest this is more JE and his two Mini-me's. JE averages more points and rebounds than the other two combined and it's not close.

Comment

• I'm trying to picture this team competing for and in an NCAA tourney. I know we don't have all the pieces, but we have some pieces.

I wish that Udeze had this year to get experience.

Next year, I think, or maybe more hoping...

We improve a few wins in the non con. Our current roster is able to win while the Frosh, namely Gordon and Etienne gain experience. If we can stay close to the bubble from the start, we can finish top 3 in conference which should be good enough for a bid.

I think we can do this.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Let's be honest this is more JE and his two Mini-me's. JE averages more points and rebounds than the other two combined and it's not close.
                  Well wasn't that the same with Morris and all the backup posts?

Comment

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Exactly why it's nothing more than stat manipulation.
                    Last edited by Topshock; February 22, 2019, 10:18 AM.
                Working...
                X