Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 12eagle View Post

With more playing time this week AM has now moved into 2nd place with a defensive ranking in the 3rd percentile. He is giving up 1.179 points per possession this year when he is the primary defender, this is after giving up 1.22 ppp last season. He really might be the worst defender we have had in the marshall era. In fairness he is in the 64th percentile on offence scoring .932 ppp which is 3rd on the team. Looking at the synergy stats he probably is the 2nd best big man option. Poor Bear is is below the 20th percentile in both offense and defense Udeze is hurt, JE has been very good ranking in the 83d percentile on defence and 64th percentile on offence.
    Thanks for sharing this. I don’t see him as being THAT bad, so I have some questions. The stat is when he is the primary defender, so does that mean how often his man scores when his man gets the ball? Does it say anything about help D, i.e. when he has to hedge before his man gets the pass? What about usage? Does his man get the ball a lot when he is on the court, or does he do a good job of denying and limiting opportunities?

Thanks for any additional stats!
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

The six you mentioned, plus Gordon and Etienne will be the rotation (Fernandez might not be ready right away for rotation minutes). Torres will never find meaningful minutes here. Brown is a man without a position, too small for the 4 and not skilled enough for the 3. Chandler is very talented, but is in his own world.
      RT is a hard one to figure out. He runs the team as a PG just fine for a first year player and his defense seems to be improving, but he just cannot get his 3pt shot going and he seems to have abandoned his pull-up 2pt shot. Over his last 2 games: 19 minutes, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers, 1 foul, but 0 points (0-1, a missed 3). While playing only 370 minutes compared to 502 for JB and 689 for SHJ, he has 56 assists which is only 2 behind both of those players. He also has 14 and 17 fewer turnovers respectively. His A/T is 2.24/1 is far and away the best on the team (SHJ is 2nd at 1.49/1).
      IPBC is apparently a victim of his own doing, due to his lack of playing time and being MIA in games where he could be a big help. However, there is little doubt he hustles on the court and is a big cheerleader on the bench. We've always said that big men take longer to develop than other positions and it would be a shame if he was given more time. Some have said that MU may need a RS to develop (and get him in a different class), but without IPBC, I don't see that happening. IPBC is fleeter of foot and more versatile than any of the other 3 big men. Hopefully, he will put good and positive use to the remaining season.

Comment

• Those stats on AM are perplexing. Just yesterday I watched him shove around his opponent on D like he was a man amongst children. It was comical, actually.

Comment

• Topshock
          Topshock commented
          Editing a comment
          asiseeit, it's not his data but from synergy which ranks players in an unbiased manner, so it's a little hard to discredit no matter how much you may want to.

Honestly it just confirms what I see everytime he plays. The fact he can make shots around the basket is a good thing. He sets nice screens. He gives great effort. His defense is just awful and he frequently gives up more points than he makes. For example his +/- in the last game was -6.
          Last edited by Topshock; February 3, 2019, 09:45 PM.

• proshox
          proshox commented
          Editing a comment
          I am sure Kenpom has some good articles on the usefulness of lack of uselessness of +/-

God Bear will get better at defense as his playing time increases. For instance, He will stop going after blocks that he has no chance at. I am sure those putbacks alone have killed 12Eagle’s quotes stats.

• Topshock
          Topshock commented
          Editing a comment
          So you two want to discard comments that are based on facts and then declare your very biased opinions as gospel. Got it!

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

RT is a hard one to figure out. He runs the team as a PG just fine for a first year player and his defense seems to be improving, but he just cannot get his 3pt shot going and he seems to have abandoned his pull-up 2pt shot. Over his last 2 games: 19 minutes, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers, 1 foul, but 0 points (0-1, a missed 3). While playing only 370 minutes compared to 502 for JB and 689 for SHJ, he has 56 assists which is only 2 behind both of those players. He also has 14 and 17 fewer turnovers respectively. His A/T is 2.24/1 is far and away the best on the team (SHJ is 2nd at 1.49/1).
        IPBC is apparently a victim of his own doing, due to his lack of playing time and being MIA in games where he could be a big help. However, there is little doubt he hustles on the court and is a big cheerleader on the bench. We've always said that big men take longer to develop than other positions and it would be a shame if he was given more time. Some have said that MU may need a RS to develop (and get him in a different class), but without IPBC, I don't see that happening. IPBC is fleeter of foot and more versatile than any of the other 3 big men. Hopefully, he will put good and positive use to the remaining season.
        I really like the three players I called out as needing to improve. They all have some real potential, that said it is obvious that the potential has not yet translated to the court during games, and they need to make that transition as soon as possible. I believe both RT and IPBC have the talent to be all-conference level players as seniors, but don’t know that either will be able to realize that potential on this team.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• A really nice artricle focusing on Asbjorn prior to the Tulsa game and a nice presentation by Coach Waterman about the team and Asbjorn.
          Perseverance allows Asbjorn Midtgaard to begin shining for the Shockers

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

“To know Asbjorn is to love him,” WSU assistant Tyson Waterman said. “

So how did Midtgaard persevere for those two months when playing time was minimal?

“You just have to,” Midtgaard said. “When you’re on a team, you owe it to the guys to keep going. You have to keep practicing, keep going hard, keep giving your 100 percent. Otherwise, it’s just disrespectful to the whole program.

“Of course, to get this opportunity to come out and play and help the team win, nothing feels better. It’s the best.”

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Thanks for sharing this. I don’t see him as being THAT bad, so I have some questions. The stat is when he is the primary defender, so does that mean how often his man scores when his man gets the ball? Does it say anything about help D, i.e. when he has to hedge before his man gets the pass? What about usage? Does his man get the ball a lot when he is on the court, or does he do a good job of denying and limiting opportunities?

Thanks for any additional stats!
            All good questions i'll answer them as best i can.
            1. They break it down into all categories. Below is the basic defensive page on AM.
            2. Usage is key here as AM has only used 1.7 percent of all logged defensive possessions this year. Hays-Jones has the most logged defensive possessions on the team at 11.3 percent. The concerning part is, as AM has increased his sampe size this season he has gotten worse on Defense.
            3. Good point, you can certainly play good defense and deny your man the ball and not get credit for it. It looks at every basket scored and identifies who the primary defender responsible for giving up the basket is and how did they give it up but only possession ending events are credited, meaning playing great defense and forcing a pass doesn't really help your defensive ranking any and neither does denying your man from catching the ball. Defence against a spot up shooter can also be flawed because a player rushing out to contest an open shot will get tagged for having given up that basket even if it wasn't his man or his rotation. However post defence and isolation are more accurate because it is more cut in dry. Play X is guarding Player O there are not rotations or switches just an outcome. AM ranks the lowest in isolations and postups and this is concerning. But remember sample size is important and it will be fun to watch and see if he can improve given more opportunities.
            4. Finally another flaw in the synergy rankings are who is the player guarding. Best example of this is Conner Frankamp and Tekele Cotton Their defensive ranks weren't much different throughout the years but looking beyond the number we know tekale always guarded the opposing teams very best perimeter player who would get plays ran for him and would have the skill to take and make tough shots despite good defense. Conner would get hidden on the worst perimeter player who sometimes couldn't score despite poor defence.
            5. So is this stat meaningless as some have suggested, I would say no. Years when we have ranked in the top 20 in KenPom defence the roster is chalked full of players in the 80th and 90th percentile on defence. Also its flaws apply to all players not just certain ones so percentile rank should be a pretty good indicator of where a player ranks relative to his peers.
            Multi-Game Player Views/College Men - Defensive - Asbjorn Midtgaard #33 7'0" 270 lbs

Report Contents - Man and Zone Defense Print Report Generated: 02/03/2019
            Season: 2018-2019 Team: Wichita State Shockers Date Range: 11/06/2018 to 01/30/2019 Number of Games: 18
            Overall Defense % Time Poss Points PPP Rank Rating FGm FGM FGA FG% aFG% %TO %FT %SF %Score
            Asbjorn Midtgaard 100% 28 33 1.179 3% Poor 10 12 22 54.5% 63.6% 14.3% 14.3% 10.7% 50%
            Short Shot Clock <4 Seconds 10.7% 3 3 1 - - 1 1 2 50% 75% 33.3% 0% 0% 33.3%
            Breakdown of Out of Bounds / After Time Out Situations:
            Out of Bounds (End) 14.3% 4 3 0.75 - - 1 1 2 50% 75% 50% 0% 0% 25%
            Out of Bounds (Side) 3.6% 1 2 2 - - 0 1 1 100% 100% 0% 0% 0% 100%
            After Time Outs 17.9% 5 5 1 - - 1 2 3 66.7% 83.3% 40% 0% 0% 40%
            Breakdown of Half Court Defensive Situations by Offense Type:
            Man Defense 96.4% 27 33 1.222 2% Poor 9 12 21 57.1% 66.7% 14.8% 14.8% 11.1% 51.9%
            Zone Defense 3.6% 1 0 0 - - 1 0 1 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%

Play Types % Time Poss Points PPP Rank Rating FGm FGM FGA FG% aFG% %TO %FT %SF %Score
            P&R Roll Man 42.9% 12 14 1.167 15% Below Average 5 5 10 50% 55% 8.3% 16.7% 16.7% 50%
            Spot Up 32.1% 9 9 1 - - 4 3 7 42.9% 57.1% 11.1% 11.1% 0% 44.4%
            Post-Up 17.9% 5 7 1.4 - - 1 3 4 75% 75% 20% 20% 20% 60%
            Isolation 7.1% 2 3 1.5 - - 0 1 1 100% 150% 50% 0% 0% 50%
            P&R Ball Handler - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Off Screen - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Hand Off - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• wufan
              wufan commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
            Many are underestimating the difficulty of the schedule to start conference play. Shox have looked ugly, but that happens when you no longer have an elite team like they have the past 7-8 years and are playing decent competition every night.

If you wanted this team to be NCAA caliber again this year, go ahead and be disappointed. I'm just going to remember that I was complaining I never got to watch competitive basketball, back when the Shox won 4 out of 5 games by 20+ points, and I'm going to try and enjoy the year for what it is.

When the schedule lightens up, I think the wins will come.
            4-0 since.

What was that Aargh about 11th place?

Comment

• Bumping this. At this point ... I'm not really seeing anyone that i don't really want back. Udeze is the only unknown, but I'm not ready to write him off either. The rest have started to fall into their roles very well.

The one that doesn't seem to fit in is Rod Brown. He's my most likely to want to transfer, especially with Teddy Allen being eligible. I could see Teddy and Burton manning the 3 if Noah/Tyson/Ricky can run the point.

So how have people's thoughts changed in the last 4 weeks.
              Last edited by Stickboy46; February 21, 2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• BOBB
                BOBB commented
                Editing a comment
                I don’t see much opportunity for those at the end of the bench to get more minutes, so some may seek their fortunes elsewhere. But, those predicting wholesale turnover were likely wrong.

• Just depends on IF they land a stud or two. We will be at least nine strong next year just the way
              we are. One more front line stud or a great shooter could make the difference between top 50 and
              top 30

Comment

• My biggest concern going into next year is the 4 spot. I would love to see IPBC work his way into that role, think he has the skill set if he can learn to defend.

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At this point, I would say Rod Brown is still on the fence. I like the guy, but he's gotta bring more to be a contributor here. If he can't shoot, at least be the fiercest defender and rebounder, ala Rashard Kelly. He's gotta step up.

• I like our Freshman class and other players on our roster. But we will have 7 Sophomores next year if everyone returns. I have no way of knowing if Gregg Marshall agrees but imo there are not enough minutes for all to play and it wouldn't be good (playing time wise) for those players who are 6th or at least 7th to return imo. Five is good, 6 is doable but 7 is way too many. I'm won't speculate on identifying those players because it isn't fair to them and that will work itself out in the long run. Additionally, we have some players who are still 1500 miles away from home and may wish to move closer. Transfers always happen.

Comment

• With Udeze's injury and lack of playing time this year, a redshirt would be very beneficial. I know it wouldn't open up a roster spot, but it would put him in a different class, get him healthy, and be ready for after JE gone and AM is a senior.
                  I'm hoping that IPBC will be a 4/5 player. He's got the tools and works hard on the court. That Taylor video of his offensive rebounds, put backs, and assists was impressive.
                  I think JB has some flexibility in positions he plays. I'd still like to see him in the lineup with RT a little more as the offense seems to flow better when I've seen both in.
                  I, too, just don't know about Rod. He's a year up on experience over his classmates, but playing time is still hard to find. That will probably get worse as his classmates start catching him in experience. A year at a quality JUCO could be beneficial and help his stock.
                  DD, ES, and TA aren't going anywhere, I hope.

Comment

• Boy has this thread not aged well.

Thats what happens when people start panicking at the disco.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• If you look at this year’s performance and try to project for just next year, I see the following:

Teddy, Dennis, and Jaime are must keep players.

Asbjorn, Jamarius, and Stevenson are players that WILL help the team.

Ricky and Isaiah have shown great potential.

Rod (can’t play in front of Markis) and Morris (injures) don’t have enough data.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• asiseeit
                        asiseeit commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ES, AM, JB and IC are also "must" keepers as far as I am concerned. I think TA
                        is going to be good but hasn't proved he will blend in yet

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      Having played and watched a lot of basketball over the years I feel I know the game pretty well and
                      trust what my own eyes / instincts tell me. I'll tell you this. I'll be VERY disappointed if any of the
                      following players don't return ( JE, AM, DD, ES, IC, and MU ) although I'd like to see MU red shirt to work
                      on his offense. I think those guys along with TA, DG, TE & Fernandes are the "future" and I think the future looks
                      good. I know I left out JB and RB. Like them both but next year I see them as getting limited playing time.
                      Neither one has a position that strongly suits them. I just don't see JB as an AAC level 1, 2 or 3 and don't
                      see RB as an AAC level 3/4 but both can help us as support players. Question is will they be okay with
                      limited roles. JB could prove me wrong if he learns to take care of the ball and facilitates better.
                      Looking like a pretty strong post.
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                      X