Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Bill Lang!

Comment

He wasn't a Shocker but Pistol Pete Maravich had a head of hair. What a great shooter.

Comment

For those of you that have seen Ron Baker play/practice with the team multiple times, how many of you believe that he will forego his RS year and play 10+ minutes this year as a true freshman?
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
          For those of you that have seen Ron Baker play/practice with the team multiple times, how many of you believe that he will forego his RS year and play 10+ minutes this year as a true freshman?

I don't simply because of the seniors. It's not because I don't think he can contribute, today. I absolutely believe he can. But the redshirt, ESPECIALLY in his case, is such a powerful option it's almost not even worth it.

It's a tough call because I do think we are a better team, this year, if Ron plays. I just don't know how much better. And I know we'll appreciate his 5th year someday.

How many of you would have taken 13-20 Toure's freshman year (instead of 17-17) to trade for this year being Garrett's junior season?

I know I would.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

I don't simply because of the seniors. It's not because I don't think he can contribute, today. I absolutely believe he can. But the redshirt, ESPECIALLY in his case, is such a powerful option it's almost not even worth it.

It's a tough call because I do think we are a better team, this year, if Ron plays. I just don't know how much better. And I know we'll appreciate his 5th year someday.

How many of you would have taken 13-20 Toure's freshman year (instead of 17-17) to trade for this year being Garrett's junior season?

I know I would.
            If all had been in place 5 years ago like it is now, Garrett would be a junior and AE would be a senior. I think Gregg should redshirt as many of these freshmen as he can. There are only 200 available minutes per game and 4 or 5 minutes here and there is not worth wasting a full year. Look for at least three freshmen to RS.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

I know I would.
              The thing is, I thought Wessel would redshirt, not Baker. After all we've heard of Baker, Wessel is more ready now? To me, Wessel was the "?", not Baker. Somebody help me: Why should Baker redshirt and not Wessel?

Comment

Probably both.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker
                  The thing is, I thought Wessel would redshirt, not Baker. After all we've heard of Baker, Wessel is more ready now? To me, Wessel was the "?", not Baker. Somebody help me: Why should Baker redshirt and not Wessel?
                  First off: Quote fail.

Now on to the topic. Don't they play two different positions? I was under that impression but don't know squat about them. Certainly depth at their position would be the biggest reason anyone would consider redshirting other than for injury reasons.

I am on the opposite end of the train of Wusphlash. I don't like coaches redshirting anybody unless they are injured, or have extraordinary depth at a Frosh's position. And only then if the kid specifically asks. Just my two cents and I know I stand on a lonely island. But .. if a kid gets injured during his upperclassman years and had to sit as a Frosh, it's a tragedy IMHO. No kid should have to miss one of the two best years of his playing life.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                    Probably both.
                    Good possibility. It's not a question of just who, but how many might red shirt.

At the 1-3 you have 5 proven players, 4 seniors and 1 junior with 10 years playing experience in the Marshall program. Those players are dividing up 120 minutes or 24 a piece. Not much playing time left for anyone else.

At the 4/5 you 4 players, 1 senior and 3 juniors with only 4 years playing experience under Marshall with a lot more questions to be answered than with the 1-3 positions. Can Stutz stay out of foul trouble and play 25+ minutes; can EO be a solid backup at the 5 (and stay out of foul trouble); Hall is a beast of a player, but how quickly will he learn the system, stay healthy, or need to also play the 5; and Anacreon is basically an unknown at this stage. This tells me that White is the least likely to redshirt of our 5 freshmen.

Of the remaining 4 freshmen, I think 3 will at least start the season as red shirts. Future events might require 1 to take it off, but only as an emergency. I think you can make an arguement for any one of the four to, or not to be a red shirt. I don't like this cop out, but I'll rely on HCGM to make that call.

Comment

The reason that I and others assume Baker will RS is because when he signed, in the Eagle, Baker stated that he would be granted 4 years of scholarship for 5 years time. Also, he stated that we would be a freshman walk-on red-shirt. Add to it the talented SGs that are upperclassmen and this makes a ton of sense unless he is able to play 10+ mpg this year.

I believe Baker is a SG with some ball handling skills. I believe Wessel is a tweener, and w/o an improved shot will not have a true position. He will need to prove himself at either SG or SF IMO. I think he will improve dramatically as he gets older, so an RS makes some sense. Even though minutes will be scarce, I'm for playing Cotton this year as he can give minutes at the PG or SG and he would likely benefit the most by getting some minutes this year. Also, he has a D-I ready body and I believe he will be a good defender.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Here's how I see it. Marshall wants more bang for his buck. When any player is close to his ceiling, you might as well play him, redshirting him would be a waste of money. Marshall will sit Ron and here is why.

If the Shocks play 25 games, and if Ron were to play in all of them for an average of (a generous) 15 minutes per game his Freshman season, he would play 375 minutes the entire season. Once the Seniors graduate, Ron will either be a starter or a 6th man, playing close to 25-30 minutes a game over another 3 25 game seasons. Thats 625- 750 minutes a season over 3 years giving Marshall 2200- 2625 minutes of production over his career.

When he redshirts, he plays his freshman season with hardly anyone in front of him, possibly as a starter or a 6th man. Redshirting him would give Marshall 2600- 3000 minutes of solid production.
                        Marshall does not need him to come off the bench this year. There is hardly enough time to go around as it is. If Marshall has a player he could sit and get 4 years of top notch performance out of while allowing his seniors to play more minutes, he would be a fool not to.

AND Wessel is on a scholie now. Baker is not. Marshall needs scholie holders to be productive, and not waste time on the bench.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock
                          Here's how I see it. Marshall wants more bang for his buck. When any player is close to his ceiling, you might as well play him, redshirting him would be a waste of money. Marshall will sit Ron and here is why.

If the Shocks play 25 games, and if Ron were to play in all of them for an average of (a generous) 15 minutes per game his Freshman season, he would play 375 minutes the entire season. Once the Seniors graduate, Ron will either be a starter or a 6th man, playing close to 25-30 minutes a game over another 3 25 game seasons. Thats 625- 750 minutes a season over 3 years giving Marshall 2200- 2625 minutes of production over his career.

When he redshirts, he plays his freshman season with hardly anyone in front of him, possibly as a starter or a 6th man. Redshirting him would give Marshall 2600- 3000 minutes of solid production.
                          Marshall does not need him to come off the bench this year. There is hardly enough time to go around as it is. If Marshall has a player he could sit and get 4 years of top notch performance out of while allowing his seniors to play more minutes, he would be a fool not to.

AND Wessel is on a scholie now. Baker is not. Marshall needs scholie holders to be productive, and not waste time on the bench.
                          I will see you and raise you 1 P.J. Couisnard. Cooz was definitely on scholarship and good enough to play his Fr year.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

?

Comment

One thing to note is that next year Baker and/or Wessel will still have to beat out senior, DWill and Junior (JuCo AA) Joe Mitchell at the SG. In my book, that still puts Baker as the third option as a freshman SG. Perhaps DWill will stick at point? I don't see Baker as a PG. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by verbeak

?
                                In response to this:

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X