• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Roster Thoughts

Seniors - Garrett Stutz, Toure Murry, David Kyles, Joe Ragland, Ben Smith
    Juniors - Demetric Williams, Ehimen Orupke, Carl Hall, James Anacreon
    Sophomores - none
    Freshman - Jake White, Evan Wessel, Ede Egharevba, Tekele Cotton
    Transfers (sitting out 2011) - Malcolm Armstead (Sr), Joe Mitchell (Jr)
    Walk Ons - Randall Vautravers (RsFr), Adam Hasty (Fr), Ron Baker (Fr will redshirt 2011)

Lots of new faces make this a confusing roster at this point.

I think we have a solid 9 man rotation at this point.
    Stutz, Hall, Anacreon, and White will get most minutes on the post.
    Smith, and Kyles on the wing.
    Murry, Ragland, and Williams in the backcourt.

I am hoping that Orupke, Wessel, Cotton, and Egharevba surprise me and get some playing time.

Are Cotton and Egharevba possible redshirts this year?

Really getting excited for this season! GO SHOCKS!

[/u]

I think White and Egharevba and/or Wessel will see some PT this year. White because I'm not that sure about the depth at the 4/5, and minutes we can count on from Stutz/EO and Valley officials and their tickey-tack fouls. I also think it would be nice to have some returning depth at the 3. I really have no idea, but I am certain GM does and I can't argue with his results so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz
      I think White and Egharevba and/or Wessel will see some PT this year. White because I'm not that sure about the depth at the 4/5, and minutes we can count on from Stutz/EO and Valley officials and their tickey-tack fouls. I also think it would be nice to have some returning depth at the 3. I really have no idea, but I am certain GM does and I can't argue with his results so far.
      ben smith would be considered a small forward. not bad returner there
      and david kyles and murray could both play it as well

Comment

Originally posted by fuball7
        Originally posted by Zardoz
        ben smith would be considered a small forward. not bad returner there
        and david kyles and murray could both play it as well
        Zardoz was referring to returner for 12-13...i.e. all of the wings (Smith, Murry, Kyles) will graduate this year. It will be important to have either Ede or Evan get a little experience as freshman.

For me, the most interesting battle will be which two of three will see significant minutes; EO, Anacreon, or White?
        Livin the dream

Comment

This is a tough subject. We're getting the annual pre-season optimism about Orukpe - and he needs some minutes. EO could be the backup for Stutz.

White had an awesome Sr year in HS and was a Parade AA. In most years we would feel comfortable projecting him as the backup at PF. Then there's Anacreon. If he can be a solid backup for Hall, then White could be a RS candidate. An extra year for him could be huge.

DWill is the obvious backup for Rags. That leaves Murry, Kyles, and Smith to cover 80 minutes at SG and SF. That's doable.

That leaves Takele, Wessel, and EdeE all available for a RS. You can always pull the shirt if there's an injury.

There's a somewhat reasonable 9-man rotation that leaves the entire Fr class available for a RS.

There's the other possibility that one or more of the Fr do so well that they can't be kept off the court. If any of them do that considering the players in front of them, Shocker fans will be very happy for the next 4 years.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If Cleanthony is as good as suspected, he'll get most of the minutes at the 3 the following year, regardless of experience, but I get your point.

Comment

Similar to this year where we basically only return Stutz in the front court, next year we are bound to only return Williams in the backcourt. That doesn't mean the talent isn't there, only that the game experience will be lacking.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                This is a tough subject. We're getting the annual pre-season optimism about Orukpe - and he needs some minutes. EO could be the backup for Stutz.

White had an awesome Sr year in HS and was a Parade AA. In most years we would feel comfortable projecting him as the backup at PF. Then there's Anacreon. If he can be a solid backup for Hall, then White could be a RS candidate. An extra year for him could be huge.

DWill is the obvious backup for Rags. That leaves Murry, Kyles, and Smith to cover 80 minutes at SG and SF. That's doable.

That leaves Takele, Wessel, and EdeE all available for a RS. You can always pull the shirt if there's an injury.

There's a somewhat reasonable 9-man rotation that leaves the entire Fr class available for a RS.

There's the other possibility that one or more of the Fr do so well that they can't be kept off the court. If any of them do that considering the players in front of them, Shocker fans will be very happy for the next 4 years.
                We'll probably know in the first two weeks of the regular season on how much Hall may have to help out at the 5. Unfortunately, with Anacreon not playing in Brazil, a lot is left to speculation by us fans on how well and fast he will be Hall's backup.

Don't think for a minute that DWill will be satisfied with 10-15 minutes of backing up Rags. He'll see time at the 2. Hopefully, DK will have the kind of season to keep DWill's minutes at the 2 to a minimum (no knock on DWill here).

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
                  Similar to this year where we basically only return Stutz in the front court, next year we are bound to only return Williams in the backcourt. That doesn't mean the talent isn't there, only that the game experience will be lacking.
                  In 2012 We will have Demetric Williams, Malcolm Armstead, Joe Mitchell, Ron Baker, Evan Wessel, Tekele Cotton, and Fred VanVleet in the backcourt. I know there won't be a lot of Shocker Game experience there.. but its still a lot of experience and a lot of talent.

Comment

Armstead and Williams will bring a lot of experience and I have feeling Mitchell will be a very good player

Comment

Tekele Cotton better be really really good or he will be overlooked pretty easily. Hope he is up to the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by verbeak
                        Originally posted by wufan
                        In 2012 We will have Demetric Williams, Malcolm Armstead, Joe Mitchell, Ron Baker, Evan Wessel, Tekele Cotton, and Fred VanVleet in the backcourt. I know there won't be a lot of Shocker Game experience there.. but its still a lot of experience and a lot of talent.
                        Yes, and only Williams will have game experience, hence my comment, "...game experience will be lacking."
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Tekele Cotton better be really really good or he will be overlooked pretty easily. Hope he is up to the challenge.
                          Sounded like he did quite well for himself in Brazil, so I'm not too worried. I definitely would like to see at least one of Ede, Wessel and Cotton play this year. I'd just feel better having a little bit more experience in the backcourt. With that said:

C - Stutz (23) Ehimen (15) Hall (2)
                          PF - Hall (22) White (18)
                          SF - Kyles (15) Smith (18) Wessel (7)
                          SG - Murry (27) Kyles (8) DWill (5)
                          PG - Rags (28) DWill (12)

I think that all adds up and feel we may see something like this. I know I don't have Anacreon on this list though. I suppose he could take some of Whites minutes or if he's capable of being on the wing some or all of Wessel. Honestly, I know the least about him and it's hard to project that.

I also just noticed that's 11. Maybe I need to rethink this, but we have so much talent it's hard to narrow it down. We are going to have games where we're up big though and guys like Wessel (or whoever doesn't redshirt) and White will benefit greatly from those games.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I would tend to agree with the above post - I believe Anacreon will likely split White's minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                              Sounded like he did quite well for himself in Brazil, so I'm not too worried. I definitely would like to see at least one of Ede, Wessel and Cotton play this year. I'd just feel better having a little bit more experience in the backcourt. With that said:

C - Stutz (23) Ehimen (15) Hall (2)
                              PF - Hall (22) White (18)
                              SF - Kyles (15) Smith (18) Wessel (7)
                              SG - Murry (27) Kyles (8) DWill (5)
                              PG - Rags (28) DWill (12)

I think that all adds up and feel we may see something like this. I know I don't have Anacreon on this list though. I suppose he could take some of Whites minutes or if he's capable of being on the wing some or all of Wessel. Honestly, I know the least about him and it's hard to project that.

I also just noticed that's 11. Maybe I need to rethink this, but we have so much talent it's hard to narrow it down. We are going to have games where we're up big though and guys like Wessel (or whoever doesn't redshirt) and White will benefit greatly from those games.
                              Has Kyles ever played the SF? I believe Murry will be the one splitting time at the SF and SG.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing if Wessel averages 7 minutes, but I'll guess less minutes than that.

I will be extremely happy if EO plays 15 mpg. The downside is that Hall will play more than 24 mpg and that leaves even fewer minutes for Anacreon and White.

Comment

Working...
                              X