2011 Roster Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope

Wufan, it's a little early to be concerned about 2012 and the backcourt, but I don't see how you can say that a guy like Armstead, who was an excellent Pac-10 PG for two years, lacks game experience. Yes, he'll have been off for a year, but he'll have spent that time working with the Shocks and learning Marshall's style.

As for Mitchell, he's a JC All-American and (at least according to an article posted about him) one of the best guards ever at Hutch, which has a pretty illustrious history. He'll also have a year of working with the Shocks and getting familiar with their style. Neither he nor Armstead should have much trouble knocking off the rust, and there are a lot of Valley teams who would be delighted to have either (to say nothing of a recruit like Van Vleet).

Ragland, Murry, and Kyles will be big losses, but I'm not at all concerned about WSU's 2012-13 backcourt. And right now I'm just planning to enjoy the coming season.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
      Originally posted by verbeak
      Tekele Cotton better be really really good or he will be overlooked pretty easily. Hope he is up to the challenge.
      Sounded like he did quite well for himself in Brazil, so I'm not too worried. I definitely would like to see at least one of Ede, Wessel and Cotton play this year. I'd just feel better having a little bit more experience in the backcourt. With that said:

C - Stutz (23) Ehimen (15) Hall (2)
      PF - Hall (22) White (18)
      SF - Kyles (15) Smith (18) Wessel (7)
      SG - Murry (27) Kyles (8) DWill (5)
      PG - Rags (28) DWill (12)

I think that all adds up and feel we may see something like this. I know I don't have Anacreon on this list though. I suppose he could take some of Whites minutes or if he's capable of being on the wing some or all of Wessel. Honestly, I know the least about him and it's hard to project that.

I also just noticed that's 11. Maybe I need to rethink this, but we have so much talent it's hard to narrow it down. We are going to have games where we're up big though and guys like Wessel (or whoever doesn't redshirt) and White will benefit greatly from those games.
      If EO and Stutz get 15 and 23 we are going to be good. I question their ability to stay on the floor, but hope I am wrong. Ditto everyone else on DK playing much/any 3. If any new face gets more than five minutes outside of Hall, barring injury, color me surprised.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Tekele Cotton better be really really good or he will be overlooked pretty easily. Hope he is up to the challenge.
        Sounded like he did quite well for himself in Brazil, so I'm not too worried. I definitely would like to see at least one of Ede, Wessel and Cotton play this year. I'd just feel better having a little bit more experience in the backcourt. With that said:

I think that all adds up and feel we may see something like this. I know I don't have Anacreon on this list though. I suppose he could take some of Whites minutes or if he's capable of being on the wing some or all of Wessel. Honestly, I know the least about him and it's hard to project that.

I also just noticed that's 11. Maybe I need to rethink this, but we have so much talent it's hard to narrow it down. We are going to have games where we're up big though and guys like Wessel (or whoever doesn't redshirt) and White will benefit greatly from those games.
        What is 11? There are 13 listings, 3 of which are duplicates (DWill, Kyles and Hall), so that is 10 players. If that is what you were meaning with the "11"comment.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu

What is 11? There are 13 listings, 3 of which are duplicates (DWill, Kyles and Hall), so that is 10 players. If that is what you were meaning with the "11"comment.
          Now I have no idea what I was thinking. Did I have Anacreon at first and change it? Or did I just count one of the duplicates. And I really don't care which one of Kyles and Murry count as a SF. They're mostly interchangeable positions in this offense. But Kyles/Smith are the ones that most of us see competing for time and or starting honors so I put them together.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

In 2012-13 Malcolm Armstead is going to make Jake Odum run home to his momma, crying with his 3 goggles shoved where the sun don't shine and ISUB fans can copy, quote and paste that all they want and it just won't matter because that's the way it's going to be.

I just felt like tossing that in.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

I'm going to agree with Watcher that the 12-13 backcourt appears to be in good shape, and mostly because of the addition of Armstead. With him we will have a very good point guard. He will allow DWill and Mitchell to have time playing the 2 as needed. Baker sounds like a potential stud at the 2. There's four guys right there I think we can count on.
              In the fast lane

Comment

What's the status of pick-up sessions? Are they on-going. What former players are participating? Is anybody on here attending? I'm anxious to hear any report. Thanks.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                  In 2012-13 Malcolm Armstead is going to make Jake Odum run home to his momma, crying with his 3 goggles shoved where the sun don't shine and ISUB fans can copy, quote and paste that all they want and it just won't matter because that's the way it's going to be.

Before or after FVV leaves him standing with his feet tangled in his jock?

Comment

I don't think my train of thought was accurately presented for playing time and how that might reflect on the 2012 backcourt so I'm going to try and clarify:

Zardov wrote, "I think...Egharevba and/or Wessel will see some PT this year...I also think it would be nice to have some returning depth at the 3."

fuball7 wrote, "ben smith would be considered a small forward. not bad returner there and david kyles and murray could both play it as well."

I wrote, "Zardoz was referring to returner for 12-13...i.e. all of the wings (Smith, Murry, Kyles) will graduate this year. It will be important to have either Ede or Evan get a little experience as freshman."

pinstripes wrote, "If Cleanthony is as good as suspected, he'll get most of the minutes at the 3 the following year, regardless of experience, but I get your point."

I wrote, "Similar to this year where we basically only return Stutz in the front court, next year we are bound to only return Williams in the backcourt. That doesn't mean the talent isn't there, only that the game experience will be lacking."

From here people began to question why I wouldn't think red-shirts and transfers wouldn't equate to experience...

All I was trying to say is that unless major minutes are made available to one of the freshman in 2011-12, then 2012-13 will be lacking in Shocker guards that have game time experience in Marshall's system. Most likely only Williams will return averaging more than 10 minutes per game.

I'm actually REALLY high on the 2012-13 backcourt. I was one of the first posters to mention that Armstead is a great signing. I think FVV will be in a great position, able to back him up as a freshman and learn the system, meanwhile, Cotton will battle for 2nd string. DW should be ready to hit his stride and make his own impact. Joe Mitchell is a fantastic SG and provides depth at the 2. Wessel and Ede will have a year in the system and possess major talent. Early is on his way in and should start.

That's a really great group, similar to this years posts (with only Stutz being proven) but it will be short on Shocker varsity letterman. That is all.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

I checked the OU vs CU three game series to end the 2010-11 season, and Armstead played very favorably versus Young. I wouldn't say outplayed him, but was roughly equivalent.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

I see DWill and Smith taking away a few of those minutes from Wessel. I see EWs minutes being similar to what EO experienced this past year. Maybe 20 games played, 5 mpg. He'll be either the 10th or 11th body.

You are pretty darn close to my thoughts concerning Stutz, EO, and Hall. I would be suprised to see White get 18 per. I imagine early in the year that White and JA will both get 5-10 as they learn and then as the season goes on, one of them will move into the primary and the other will see less time.

There's always foul trouble and ankle sprains that the starters tend to experience that will limit their time and increase the time that the young'ens see.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

If EW doesn't redshirt I'll be stunned. With a capital s.

Comment

I think it is hard to say who will redshirt, if anyone. The coaches will be seeing them on a daily basis shortly, and only they will know who will be ready to play, and who needs a redshirt season.

Comment

:yes:

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown

:yes:
                                :yes: :yes:
                                A RS isn't a sign of a lack of talent. It's a sign of talent that might be wasted as a deep sub.

There's no reason to keep a guy around for 5 years who's only going to be a role player. I think Wessel has the talent to warrant 5 years of a scholarship, but his eligibility would be pretty much wasted this year.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X